Has anyone ever done a weight management plan via their GP?

Tooty Frooty

Hi,

I have been a follower of sw for quite a few years now, gaining and losing over the years and my most recent attempt at it which was at the beginning of feb saw me losing 13lbs before I gave up. One of the reasons that I think contributed to me giving up this time is that I had been at my gp about a month previous to joining and told her how miserable I was about my weight. I've basically put on about 7 and a half stone in just under 5 years. A lot of that, well, most of it really has been due to me being a very emotional eater, and having really bad pnd since the birth of both my children.

Anyway, I had an appointment with someone last month and she referred me to the psychologist due to my binge eating and very occasional purging. I had the psychology assessment today and she's now referring me to their eating disorders group which will run over 6 months, and I will be involved in a group which uses Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, looking at things like emotions, self worth etc, and I will also be given an eating plan to follow and be weighed every 2 weeks.

I guess I'm just looking for reassurance or guidance as to whether this is the right thing for me to do. I know the slimming world plan does work, but I feel like I do need additional support to deal with the reasons why I overeat. I'm just scared that i'll be put on a strict calorie controlled diet that I won't be able to stick to.

Does anyone have any experience of this? Thanks in advance.

You should definately give this a try. My GP gave me a referal a couple of years ago after being concerned about my weight but I wasn't in the right frame of mind at the time to go and sort myself out.

I've tried to work through my issues with food on my own and am now doing slimming world but I still worry the negative habits might resurface.

I would hope that anyone trying to help people with eating issues would not put them on a strict calorie controlled diet. You might find it will be a tailored diet avoiding your trigger foods. If, as I do, you find the SW plan the best way of eating healthily you could always speak to them about using that as your diet plan. The only issue they might have with SW is the lack of portion control, which can be a problem with compulsive eaters and lead back to bad habits.

I'm sure it won't be like a SW group where people get clapped for loosing the most weight (that sort of thing just reinforced my negative habits and I am now going it alone).

It is scary dealing with emotional issues but you've come a long way already by admitting you have a problem. Go and give it a try, it could change your life.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Back