Has anyone legally changed their name?

Alycyn1980

Addicted to Minimins!!!
Hi all

I am looking to change my surname and I was wondering if anyone had done this. There are that many different sites to go to but I am wanting to make sure that I actually change my name legally and not pay for it not to be recognised!!!

Any info would be appreciated.

I did, years ago. I did it through a solicitor though and did it via a change of name deed. Also did the same thing for my son about 10 years ago. The advantage with this is you get a legal document stating quite clearly that you have changed your name and can provide that as proof at places that need to see it, like banks and doctors and that sort of thing.

I too have done this for my son. 1st time we did it thru a solicitor that was 20 years ago.
Last year he did it again and did it on the Internet and it was free. It's not necessary to pay for a solicitor to do this,as long as the document uses the exact wording that is required you can do your own.
Google name change deed and you should pull up a site that allows you to print the form off then you just need to get it witnessed when the person signs it. Sorry I can't remember the site we used but we found it thru google.

en.wikipedia.org/.../Deed_of_change_of...

Just posting this link as its quite informative and explains the procedures.

If you want it registered I would go to a solicitor as I'm unsure if the Internet ones do register the name change. However registering of a name change is not a legal requirement in the uk so a diy one could be sufficient.
Hope this helps

Ok so the link isn't clickable for some reason !!!

Last edited:
en.wikipedia.org/.../Deed_of_change_of...

Just posting this link as its quite informative and explains the procedures.

If you want it registered I would go to a solicitor as I'm unsure if the Internet ones do register the name change. However registering of a name change is not a legal requirement in the uk so a diy one could be sufficient.
Hope this helps

Ok so the link isn't clickable for some reason !!!

Thanks I will look into it, I have been told to go to Registrar of Scotland and they will issue a new birth certificate. I think this may be th eway to go but I will check out the link :)

Ahh didn't realise you were in Scotland I think the rules may be different there. Think it's easier for you as they actually produce you a new birth certificate with new name on. They don't change birth certificates in England !!

Yeah given the line of work I do, to legally change it in England and Wales I would strongly advise doing it through a solicitor! We have constant reports of dodgy websites that aren't legal.

I say this as I work in the legal profession x

My brother had his name change via Deed Poll, not exactly sure on the procedure because my mum told me there is no point getting mine changed as I will get married in the future, lol?

Thanks everyone. I have decided to go through the Register of Scotland as they will issue a new birth certificate. I think this would be the better option as changing by Deed Poll does not record the change of name anywhere and as I am doing this as an alternative to marriage I think I want to make sure it is recorded :)

Back