Green Day Has Anyone Made The Butternut Squash Risotto?

vanilla_cupcake

Silver Member
I've never made risotto before but fancy something different, there is a butternut squash & bacon risotto in one of the cookery books but i'm on a Green day so don't want bacon in it, is risotto tricky to make, i've heard it is!

Do any of you have any nice risotto recipes?

I dont think its tricky to make, it just takes time & you need to stand over it & stir all the time as its quite a sticky rice. Here's my SW version of it, dont know the quantities a I normally just throw it all in the pot!

Stir fry a chopped onion, leeks, mushrooms & garlic until softened
Add the aborio/risotto rice & stir (approx mug full)
Add some frozen peas
Add, a bit at a time, veggie stock stirring all the time until all the stock is absorbed & the rice is cooked.....can take up to 45 mins. If I cook enough for 2 very generous portions with some left over, I use 2 stock cubes in 1 litre of boiling water. When not doing a SW version I add white wine!
When that is all cooked, add your already cooked BNS.....I would chop it into little cubes & cook it in the oven before adding to the risotto.
Add a dollop of 0/2% Greek yogurt & some cheese....stir it all together & eat!

Hope that makes sense!

There are several ovenbaked risotto recipes on here where you don't even have to stand and stir it all the time :)

PatchworkPuss said:
There are several ovenbaked risotto recipes on here where you don't even have to stand and stir it all the time :)

Using the search function on my minimins app is ridiculous, raging there are oven baked ones, I've jut asked my husband to take over the stirring my hand is sore, don't think it's working out too well! :sigh:

i love risotto, i dont find its difficult to make, im just impatient, and it requires patience!!! bns risotto is on my menu for this week too! was supposed to do it last week but didnt get round to it! xxx

This_time_girlie said:
i love risotto, i dont find its difficult to make, im just impatient, and it requires patience!!! bns risotto is on my menu for this week too! was supposed to do it last week but didnt get round to it! xxx

I made it and wouldn't be dying about it :sigh: I found it very stodgy! Maybe I didn't make it right!

I have thought about trying the oven baked ones I have never made any of them and noticing quite a few recipes at the mo :)

Butternut & Mushroom Risotto

Hi Vanilla _Cupcake

Try my version of this classic...........

Pete’s Butternut Squash & Mushroom Risotto

Serves 2

Ingredients

150g Arborio rice (ff)
150g Butternut squash, de-skinned and cut into approx..10mm cubes (s)(sff)
1 Ltr chicken stock
150g mushrooms, cleaned & chopped into slices (s)(sff)
1 stick celery, washed & chopped to small pieces (s)(sff)
½ cupful of frozen peas (ss)(ff)
1 onion, chopped into small pieces (s)(sff)
1 lemon (ss)(sff)
1 Tbsp of Worcester sauce
30g Parmesan cheese (1 Hea each) or 1 level Tbsp=1.5 syns

Method

Make 1Ltr of chicken stock, using a chicken cube or use homemade stock.
Spray a large saucepan with Fry Light and cook the onions, celery& butternut squash, cook until the onions are transparent.
Add the rice and allow it to be coated by mixing all ingredients, cut the lemon and drizzle the juice over the rice and cook on a medium heat,for 5 mins.

Using a ladle add 2 ladles of hot stock at a time, cook until almost all the liquid has gone, then add peas, mushrooms & Worcester sauce.

When all stock has been used up, turn off the heat & grate parmesan cheese over the rice and put a lid on it and leave to steam. Serve on a hot bowl and have a side salad with it.

Butternut Squash & Mushroom Risotto (Small).JPG

I dont think its tricky to make, it just takes time & you need to stand over it & stir all the time as its quite a sticky rice. Here's my SW version of it, dont know the quantities a I normally just throw it all in the pot!

Stir fry a chopped onion, leeks, mushrooms & garlic until softened
Add the aborio/risotto rice & stir (approx mug full)
Add some frozen peas
Add, a bit at a time, veggie stock stirring all the time until all the stock is absorbed & the rice is cooked.....can take up to 45 mins. If I cook enough for 2 very generous portions with some left over, I use 2 stock cubes in 1 litre of boiling water. When not doing a SW version I add white wine!
When that is all cooked, add your already cooked BNS.....I would chop it into little cubes & cook it in the oven before adding to the risotto.
Add a dollop of 0/2% Greek yogurt & some cheese....stir it all together & eat!

Hope that makes sense!
That sounds delicious, will try that after work today :)

Back