has anyone taken oxygen abroad

Hi, I am trying to organise a family holiday to Spain. My 2 year old grandson is disabled and oxygen dependent. I'm about pulling my hair out trying to find out how to get this, appparently it's really easy!!!! I've spoken to one company but they quoted £495 for the week.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated xx

I know I have seen something in travel advice columns in newspapers - either the Telegraph or the Times. You could try doing a Google search.Also, have a look at thishttp://www.phassociation.uk.com/living_with_ph/travelling_with_oxygen.phpwhich might help - there are links to the rules of different airlines about carrying oxygen on board and also information about how to buy it abroad.I don't know anything about this subject myself, but I hope that this is useful.

I put the website address in a separate post - sorry about the multiple posts but my messages keep coming out very oddly and the spacing was all wrong on the first one!

Hi, I am trying to organise a family holiday to Spain. My 2 year old grandson is disabled and oxygen dependent. I'm about pulling my hair out trying to find out how to get this, appparently it's really easy!!!! I've spoken to one company but they quoted £495 for the week.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated xx

Where does he get his oxygen from now? Would you be able to get enough from them to last the holiday?

Thanks for your replies, I will have a look at the webiste. His oxygen company will only provide it in the UK. They have given me a list of suppliers in Spain but it seems so complicated. Maybe we should stick to Flamingoland!! x

I think air products have bases in Europe too, have you tried them? You could save on o2 by using a compressor at night, dependent on if the airline will carry it?

Thanks for your replies, I will have a look at the webiste. His oxygen company will only provide it in the UK. They have given me a list of suppliers in Spain but it seems so complicated. Maybe we should stick to Flamingoland!! x

Awwwwwwwww that's a shame, but on a positive note once you've found a supplier you can use them in the future.

We took oxygen abroad for my Dad approx 2 years ago. We were going on a cruise which left from Shampton and then went around the Med finishing in Rome. We flew home from Rome to Gatwick. We were supplied with oxygen by Bill Quantrill who runs a company called Omega Oxygen. He brought a case with 5 cylinders ( the case holds 6 but BA would only allow 5!)to the ship and we were allowed one bottle in the cabin at any time. My Dad also had a portable oxygen concentrator to use while out and about. He had purchased this previously at a cost of £3000.00. Don't think 5 bottles would have been enough otherwise. This was for two weeks. On the flight back he used the oxygen supplied on the plane as we had to make sure all the cylinders were empty before we could fly. Don't know how that would work if flying from UK. Best advice I can give is phone Bill and speak to him. 01273308176 or [email protected]

Back