Has your pet helped you lose or maintain your weight?

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by LinLin, 12 November 2012 Social URL.

1. LinLin

LinLin Full Member

Start Weight:
    174.4lb
    Current Weight:
    150.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    150.0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st10.4lb(13.99%)
    Diet:
    Whole-food, plant-based
    My dog has helped me so much with weight loss - anyone else have a similar feeling?

With his influence, I am out twice a day, every day. At my heaviest, we would walk 20-40 minutes each time. Now that my weight is closer to normal, I am more energetic and we walk 4 miles a day.

Honestly, without my dog I would give myself days off on the weekend, holidays, rainy days, etc. With him and his obvious love of being in the woods, I'm happy to be out for nearly 2 hours a day, every day, rain or shine or snow.

Anyone else find that your pet has helped you a lot in losing or maintaining?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Itoy & Suerti

Itoy & Suerti Life is what you make it

Start Weight:
    131.5kg
    Current Weight:
    58.5kg
    Goal Weight:
    65kg
    Lost(%):
    11st6.9lb(55.5%)
    Diet:
    Healthy Eating - but also now calorie counting... :)
    100% so! my Itoy is fairly low maintenence and happy jus pottering around the yard for his excercise, but Suerti... I swear if he dosent get his walks he drives me crazy!! I am not uber strict about it - we go Mon-Fri for 1 hour in the morning, at 5am... Suerti knows when the alarm goes off, I tend to just roll over and sleep again... so he licks and licks and jumps all over me until I haul myself out of bed... LOL. `I know if I didnt have him, I wouldnt probably walk anywhere near as often :)

4. LinLin

LinLin Full Member

Start Weight:
    174.4lb
    Current Weight:
    150.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    150.0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st10.4lb(13.99%)
    Diet:
    Whole-food, plant-based
    Sounds like you have a 4-legged personal trainer, too! :)

5. skinnybodyc

skinnybodyc Full Member

Start Weight:
    14st4.5lb
    Current Weight:
    10st2.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st9lb
    Lost(%):
    4st2lb(28.93%)
    Diet:
    weight watchers /skinny fiber/exercise
    Yes i have two English Springer spaniels that need long long walks .I normally walk them twice a day with one being a long 6 mile walk across the fields or down the beach and a second shorter walk of about 2 miles .If i didn;t have to walk them then i don't think i would lose so fast.

6. MissMiff

MissMiff Loving & Losing

Start Weight:
    29st13lb
    Current Weight:
    18st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    14st0lb
    Lost(%):
    11st8lb(38.66%)
    Diet:
    Paul McKenna Hypnotic Gastric Band
    I have 3 pug girls, and previously I would take them for a walk, and just sit, whilst they played around me, etc.. But now that I have a new relationship with food, they are helping me exercise, I take all 3 of them out (separately, as its a nightmare of tangled leads otherwise).. Once a day, maybe twice if I have the time, and I make sure I walk at a speed that gets my heart pumping, instead of a leisurely stroll...I know they are helping me, and theyre loving the extra time out too..

I am also monitoring how far I get, and pushing the distance day by day..x

7. Witzender

Witzender Full Member

Start Weight:
    14st1lb
    Current Weight:
    13st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st1lb
    Lost(%):
    0st9lb(4.57%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    Trying to walk a mile a day with my new dog Fifi

8. c2b

c2b Regular Member

My horse has prevented me gaining all the weight I lost a long time ago. There is obviously a max weight she can carry so to keep riding I have to keep under that.
    Recently I was approaching the max so off to count calories I go and low and behold in 5 weeks 16lb has gone.

9. ColeyWoley27

ColeyWoley27 Full Member

Start Weight:
    15st4.5lb
    Current Weight:
    13st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st3.0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st13.5lb(12.82%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World (Again)
    Ok so my input here right now is probably useless... But here goes

I recently got myself a puppy. He is now allowed out to walk after his last jabs. He is my new motivation to walk as much as possible.

I am a fibromyalgia sufferer but I also have Bi Lateral Impingement of the shoulders which I am awaitng an MRI on so walking has been bottom of the list. Pip was bought for me to love of course and to be a family member but also to motivate me to get out more and enjoy the small walks me and him can do.

I hope to come back and edit this is a few months and say Pip helped me no end. Already he and I have had some lovely little walks so so far he is my little walking buddie :)

10. Cranberrie

Cranberrie Full Member

Start Weight:
    16st11lb
    Current Weight:
    15st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st8lb(9.36%)
    Diet:
    Calorie Counting
    Without a doubt yes! This was one of our reasons for getting a dog (apart from the obvious) and I can honestly say I would have made all of the excuses under the sun not to go for a walk in the rain/cold weather had it not been for our pup. We have also started going to country parks at the weekend and I have set myself a daily goal of walking 10,000 steps as of a week and a half ago and have hit the target every day thanks to him!

11. Princessjen

Princessjen Full Member

Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Diet:
    Calorie Counting
    Definitely. The family pet beagle means I walk more often than I would otherwise. Yesterday me and my partner took him for about 1hr 30mins which we would otherwise not have done. Also meant time out together enjoying the sunshine :)

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.