hash browns syn free ones with normal onions ???

I have made the full fat versions in the past with either but personally i prefer the taste of them with Spring onions or Red onions :D

Here's one recipe..............

Pete’s Hash Browns

Serves 4
Ingredients
4 medium sized potatoes (ff)
*onion, finely chopped (s)(sff)
* 45g low fat cheddar cheese (1Hea)

* Extra’s

Method

Finely grate washed, unpeeled potatoes, place in a sieve & wash until the water runs clear, place a portion of the potato into a potato masher and squeeze as much of the water as possible, remove from the masher and add any extra’s, return to the masher and press into shape, remove the mix from the masher and sprinkle with salt, place in a hot pan sprayed with Fry Light. Cook for a few minutes then spray with Fry Light and flip over, repeat this until both sides are cooked. Serve with an omelette or beans, etc.

HashBrownsSmall.jpg

HashBrowns-2Small.jpg

HashBrowns-5Small.jpg

HashBrowns-3Small.jpg

HashBrowns-4Small.jpg

bilsat said:
Here's one recipe..............

Pete’s Hash Browns

Serves 4
Ingredients
4 medium sized potatoes (ff)
*onion, finely chopped (s)(sff)
* 45g low fat cheddar cheese (1Hea)

* Extra’s

Method

Finely grate washed, unpeeled potatoes, place in a sieve & wash until the water runs clear, place a portion of the potato into a potato masher and squeeze as much of the water as possible, remove from the masher and add any extra’s, return to the masher and press into shape, remove the mix from the masher and sprinkle with salt, place in a hot pan sprayed with Fry Light. Cook for a few minutes then spray with Fry Light and flip over, repeat this until both sides are cooked. Serve with an omelette or beans, etc.

Thank u! X

I make hash browns all the time for breakfast, it replaces bread to keep me full!! I don't even add cheese, literally grate potato, squeeze aaaallll the moisture out, add salt and pepper, then flatten in a frying pan/pancake pan (I use one of these, its awesome) some fry light to fry it in, and have poached eggs ontop.. Lush breakfast, syn freeee xxx

I like this idea - I struggle with breakfasts as I love bread, and the idea of eggs or beans without seems odd! I wonder if I could grate and prepare the night before to make it easy in the morning when bleary eyed and rushing out the door???

megandmog said:
I like this idea - I struggle with breakfasts as I love bread, and the idea of eggs or beans without seems odd! I wonder if I could grate and prepare the night before to make it easy in the morning when bleary eyed and rushing out the door???

I think the potato would probably go brown? But honestly it takes like 15 mins to do! And it totally fills you up. X

Oh yeah - you are probably right.

Ok - will try tomorrow. Kids to school then hash browns and fry light fried egg for breakfast. Will let you know how it goes!

Well I had this for breakfast. It was yummy and very filling with two fried eggs on top (yum yum!)

However it did not work very well - I could not get it to stick together!! I used a potato masher and then my hands, then tried it in a burger press and then gave up and just fried the grated potato and pushed it into a blob to add the eggs!

Where did I go wrong??

megandmog said:
Well I had this for breakfast. It was yummy and very filling with two fried eggs on top (yum yum!)

However it did not work very well - I could not get it to stick together!! I used a potato masher and then my hands, then tried it in a burger press and then gave up and just fried the grated potato and pushed it into a blob to add the eggs!

Where did I go wrong??

I put it into a tea towel then squeeze as hard as I can, like twist it round, once it's really dry I push it down totally flat like a pancake and keep pressing as it cooks it kinda sets together, then cut it into quarters and flip them one by one, if you try and turn them too early tho they fall to bits :) I had them too with salmon and poached eggs :) x

charl_young said:
I put it into a tea towel then squeeze as hard as I can, like twist it round, once it's really dry I push it down totally flat like a pancake and keep pressing as it cooks it kinda sets together, then cut it into quarters and flip them one by one, if you try and turn them too early tho they fall to bits :) I had them too with salmon and poached eggs :) x

They sound fab can't wait to try them x

Ah ha! Thanks for the tea towel tip. I'll try that tmw. OH away this week so want to have it Sussed by the time he returns with his scepticism!!

Back