Have We Entered The Cheating Zone

Discussion in 'Cambridge Weight Plan' started by scousemouse0151, 7 June 2008 Social URL.

1. scousemouse0151

scousemouse0151 soon to be minnie mouse

Start Weight:
    11st0lb
    Current Weight:
    10st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st12lb
    Lost(%):
    0st10lb(6.49%)
    Diet:
    slim&save, tried everything in the past,failed expert on them all
    is it just me or is every other thread about POOR ME I HAD A CHEAT somebody please tell me if i'm the only one feeling this. i am commmited 100% and sorry to say i'm getting a bit peed off. rant over sorry.

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. klee

klee Full Member

Start Weight:
    15st1lb
    Current Weight:
    14st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(3.32%)
    Diet:
    CD
    i thought the whole point of this site is that if you have a cheat, feeling down, or something to celebrate they can come on here and help support or congratulation!

4. Starlight

Starlight Gold Member

Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    Minimins is a weight loss SUPPORT forum. Its very easy to come here and say 'Ive stuck to my diet' 'I resisted temptation' 'Ive lost Xlbs' whats much harder is to admit to failing, whether its a temporary one meal failure or a completely off the diet failure.

Everyone on here has failed at diets at one point or other, now we're trying to find our way on the right diet for us, be it CD, LT, WW etc, sometimes finding the right diet is a journey in itself and its not til you rule out the diet that ISNT for you that you find the one that is.

Being able to come on here and hold your hands up to 'cheating' or whatever takes a lot and is essential in getting back on track. How many times has one blip led to another and another and before you know it its over.

The tough love approach isnt always helpful either, a bit of SUPPORT and encouragement is far more benefit than telling someone what they already know. So maybe there are a few 'Ive had a cheat thread' but thats fine. This isnt purely a celebratory or congratulations forum so lets share the downs and the ups and try help someone whos struggling find their feet again instead of making them feel even worse :(

5. klee

klee Full Member

Start Weight:
    15st1lb
    Current Weight:
    14st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(3.32%)
    Diet:
    CD
    very well put :)

6. Porgeous

Porgeous Chilling

Start Weight:
    14st1lb
    Current Weight:
    8st10lb
    Lost(%):
    5st5lb(38.07%)
    Diet:
    CD SS
    Maybe a little controversial.... I agree that everyone should feel able to come on Minis and shout their success and also offload when things aren't going so well, however, there I do believe that sometimes by empathising when people "cheat" you are not actually helping them because what you are actually doing is saying it's okay which can lead to continued cheating. I am not condoning tough love either, but surely there is a middle ground?

Gx

7. klee

klee Full Member

Start Weight:
    15st1lb
    Current Weight:
    14st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(3.32%)
    Diet:
    CD
    this is true but being told to "toughen up"
    when you are obviously looking for a bit if reasureance, i dont think is the way to go.
    from personal experience if i have had a "cheat" my personal guilt is enough to get me down, and by coming on here and getting support i can think " right put it behind me and lets try again" rather that well ive messed up, sod it!
    xx

8. Miel

Miel French Honey

Diet:
    Cambridge
    Kicking someone when they are down is never going to make them feel positive and can easily lead them to give up.

Surely it's better to offer support in these times and encouragement to get back to the plan (which is generally the response that anyone would get). We are hardly celebratory with anyone that cheats so I don't think that we encourage it; rather, we accept it and try to help each other to look beyond the cheat and move on.

Remember that, you should always treat others as you yourself would wish to be treated.

9. eng123

eng123 Member

Diet:
    WW Core and Intuitive Eating
    I had a huge barney with my adorable other half. I was being a cow! I fell of the wagon this week and in future will put in place a strategy to prevent emotional eating. It wasn't BAD food I ate, it was too much good food. I am still on line for a weight loss though. This is my first wobble in over two months. It happens to the best of us!

10. Mrs B

Mrs B Silver Member

Start Weight:
    24st1.7lb
    Current Weight:
    23st1.1lb
    Lost(%):
    1st0.6lb(4.32%)
    Diet:
    VLCD
    We're only human that's why we've ended up on CD. It's fairly obvious which threads are about cheating - don't read them.

11. Seaneen

Seaneen Short and pink

Start Weight:
    12st7lb
    Current Weight:
    8st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st0lb
    Lost(%):
    4st3lb(33.71%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge Diet
    I hate being kicked when I cheat. Compounds already negative feelings. This is a diet, and it's tough. People shouldn't be made to feel like human failures just because they succumb and essentially *eat* once in a while. I think cheating, even the phrase, is horrible and self defeating. It's not weakness to eat something. Eating is a natural response. It's strong to get back on the wagon. It *is* a difficult diet and booting someone when they're down doesn't help.

I don't know, I don't think I should be here because although I want everyone to succeed and need support, I absolutely loathe dieting language like cheating and sinning and whatever. I also get worried when pro-ana type statements are made like "nothing tastes as good as thin feels". Then again, I don't have as much to lose as a lot of people here and my weight wasn't a problem til recently so I probably have no right saying that.

And I don't think that compassionate support is enabling. People already feel like toss for eating and don't need to be made to feel worse.

12. Seaneen

Seaneen Short and pink

Start Weight:
    12st7lb
    Current Weight:
    8st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st0lb
    Lost(%):
    4st3lb(33.71%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge Diet
    Also, I don't consider low carb stuff as cheating. It's not the same, sometimes it's necessary to keep on track. No eating at all is hard.

13. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

I'm with Georgie on this one - must be a middle ground somewhere.

14. Sunnysmile

Sunnysmile Laserbeams set on goal

Start Weight:
    16st8lb
    Current Weight:
    16st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge Diet
    Awww, I think we all need people to remind us at times that we CAN do it and to encourage us back on the wagon.

I've cheated before and the posts on here cheered me up no end and stopped me doing it again!

xx

15. Sez

Sez has started again!!

Diet:
    Dukan
    Hmmm really interesting & thought provoking too. Yes, I agree with Georgie that there must be a middle ground. I some times feel the tough love approach, at times, would have made me feel utter pants and sent me straight back to the biscuit tin, on the oter hand the "there, there" approach doesnt always help me either. I react differently at different time & I always (sincerely) value all the help I am offered. It is fab the people are prepared to give their thoughts, feelings and time on a forum such as this, and we need to respect both those who ask for help, for whatever reason, and those who offer it, whether we consider it the right or wrong response.

We are here, imho, to help each other through what is, after all, a very unnatural diet. It is bloomin tough and if someone (myself included) asks for help because they are finding it so should we not respect that request by responding from the heart and then allowing them to make up their own (adult)mind as to where they go next?

Sorry, didnt mean to produce such a great long diatribe and its great that we are all able to air our opinions on "everything" to do with this forum, diet or whatever!!

Good luck to all who diet and all those who support, we ALL need it!!

xx

16. Kira

Kira Gold Member

Start Weight:
    10st8.5lb
    Current Weight:
    10st8.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge/SnS
    There is a middle ground and that middle ground comes from those who have cheated and then got back on track because they understand the issue. (The issue being the fear of completely falling off the wagon.) And those who manage to stick to CD 100% to show that it can be done. From both, those of us who cheat/fail along the way draw inspiration and dust ourselves off and get back on track. When we do lose weight we congratulate each other. To me that is best thing about this forum. I find I can draw inspiration from those who stick to CD 100% (or any other diet) and also from those who cheat because it helps me when I waver, and I remind myself that I am doing this for me and me alone.

17. Tarragon

Tarragon Silver Member

Goal Weight:
    14st4lb
    Diet:
    Still considering
    Kira and Sez I agree completely, much as I admire those who stick to the diet 100% and find them inspirational, I still don't know if I can do that after many years of 'cheating'. I find one of the hardest parts for me is actually admitting if I have a nibble, and being on here, both the support and tellings off help. In return I hope that I can sometimes help others with support, isn't that what this is all about! :):)

18. Avatar

MiniMins.com Advert

19. m85912

m85912 Only a few more pounds...

Start Weight:
    13st3lb
    Current Weight:
    8st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st6lb
    Lost(%):
    4st6lb(33.51%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge
    Very controversial, Interesting reading up on peoples thoughts....Hmmmmmmm lol

20. Skyemagic

Skyemagic Full Member

Diet:
    CD
    Thank you Sandy,
    couldn't have said it better myself. Occasionally there is a thread which annoys me but I just don't read it..

xxx

21. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

can i just say that I REALLY don't like the word cheat.

22. Tarragon

Tarragon Silver Member

Goal Weight:
    14st4lb
    Diet:
    Still considering
    I agree, the word 'cheating' sounds wrong, just not sure what to use instead? Any suggestions or should this be a different thread? :)

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.