have you been able to lose with ovarian cyst or pcos ?

lebody

have been struggling on slimming world despite sticking to it to the letter, at first thought might be thyroid problem then after some research on google wondering if could be possible cyst stopping me losing any significant amt weight . im due to have scan on weds doctor thinks I have an ovarian cyst and large one at that, read somewhere they give off hormones that prevent weight loss .. just wondering if anyone had heard of this, experienced it, or were still able to lose on slim and save with a cyst .. presumably if large It will have to be removed so would like to lose a little for surgery (im almost 16stone) then hopefully my hormones will return to normal and can crack on with slim and save, that s if its a cyst in first place and not anything sinister :(

I had an ovarian cyst several years ago. Lots of messing around by doctors meant it wasn't fully diagnosed till it strangled one of my ovaries causing the worst pain in my life. It was the size of a loaf of bread and I have a huge scar to prove it! What I can say though is that I don't believe I put on any weight because of it. I was actually pretty slim at the time, it was only the cyst itself that would have made me heavier than normal. As a word of caution, don't hang about if it is a cyst, I lost an ovary because it wasn't dealt with quickly enough :-(

thanks for your reply, really appreciate it . omg size of loaf of bread thats some cyst, must have been scary. im quite annoyed with my doctors its taken 6 months to get referred for scan - I originally woke with horrendous pain in ovary area about 6 mths ago was actually crying, died down following day so didn't persue then about week later felt weird gnawing pain in same area and horrible pressure feeling and have felt this on and off for 6 mths, also stomach pains, back pains, heartburn all which I believe are symptoms of cyst large one taking up space .. did you have these symptoms? was continually fobbed off until finally broke down in doctors surgery saying I was so worried was making me ill and giving me heart palpitations with the stress of it all. did you suspect you had a cyst or was it picked up in routine check ? xx

I had weird pains unlike anything I've ever had. Also when lying on my back my then flat stomach was raised, it looked like a pregnancy bump but I knew it wasn't. Nobody was sure what it was so I was sent for a scan. The appointments were running two hours behind and by the time my name was called to see the consultant the scan department had shut. The next day I had the worst pain ever and went straight to hospital, operated on the next day. A week later I got a call saying the cyst had abnormal cells in it and I'd need a hysterectomy. We had been trying for a baby for 5 months at this time and I was 32. To cut a long story short two weeks after the op I was pregnant so the hysterectomy went out the window and I was closely monitored throughout the pregnancy. I had 3 babies over the next 4 years ( hence the weight gain ) and got the all clear a couple of years after my last baby. No treatment ever needed though just blood tests to check all was well.
Don't sit back and wait for it to be sorted!

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) definitely causes weight gain. That said, not every ovarian cyst is due to PCOS. The waiting can be very irritating. I felt that I was denied service until I was interested in having a baby and then I was referred for IVF. I went through treatment but didn't respond the way that PCOS women tend to, so the cycle was cancelled. I fell pregnant naturally the following cycle, so have not received any treatment for PCOS. I'm not interested in having more children, so it's pointless going back to the doctor in my opinion. I'm glad that your scan is happening soon for you. It will be good to know what's going on so that you can get on with losing weight. Best of luck with everything! xx

I've got an ovarian cyst and I've still lost weight hun! Mine is about the size of a small orange but doesn't cause me any pain so they said its ok to leave it :/ xx

thanks for your replies, only just seen them .. well scan was waste time, doctor ordered abdominal scan because I mentioned stomach pains so not able to look at my ovaries FFS despite that being main reason went in to see docs grrrr . he said there was no large cyst kind up run the probe thing in general area of my ovaries but couldn't see anything, he told me to get doctor to order internal scan so could see better. more waiting, more stress, more pain .. I swear there's something there, horrible gnawing pain occasionally sharp, pressure feeling and feel little bloated worries me its something worse and growing inside me with all this messing about waiting :(

Hi, I've answered in more detail about what I've had and still have in your other thread. Suffice to say - you can lose weight with cysts. The symptoms you describe on here sound very similar to mine with endometriosis - this won't show on an ultrasound scan. Mine was diagnosed as I have endo cysts which do show on ultrasound, but the only definitive way to diagnose is by laparoscopy, which in itself can make endo worse. There are a number of medications that can help with the pain and with the symptoms - I've found mefanamic acid works best for me, but it's a personal thing, also both mid cycle and start of cycle pain can be relieved with a hot salt water bath.

You can still lose on a vlcd though :)

Hi, I have Pcos..... My weightloss is on par with non Pcos sufferers, when I lose weight I find the symptoms decrease as I have quite bad skin and very irregular periods, when I'm thinner my skin clears quite a bit and my cycle becomes more regular. But yeah, my Pcos has not stopped me losing weight, although I know that some people with the condition do struggle with it. X

Back