Health problems?

Jade25

Hi everyone
I've been on dukan since August last year and have done well, I put a bit back on over Xmas and have got rid of it now. Since Xmas though I'm not managing to follow the diet as well as I did before. This last week or two in particular I've been feeling very run down, im spotty and have no energy. I'm craving sugar (not carbs) and find when I'm run down a bit of chocolate or a biscuit makes me feel better. Do U think I'm feeling this way through lack of sugar? The other thing is that I had blood tests done and phoned the doctors for my results - she said I have high cholesterol (didn't have that before) and she wants me to come in and see a diabetes nurse! I only spoke to a receptionist so she couldn't tell me if I actually had diabetes or anything but do u think any of this could be related to the diet? I'm still enjoying the dukan foods but I'm missing sweet stuff so much. I have yoghurt and muffins and other dukan friendly treats but they just don't hit the spot in the same way! I'm wondering if maybe I should try slimming world. Help anyone?

High cholesterol? Diabetes? They don't seem very decided!

You say that a biscuit or sugar makes you feel better. So have you been having them these past few weeks? I'm just trying to understand better what you're saying?

As for moving from Dukan to SW (or any other diet), you'd be best to have a period of Conso first, else you could whack on a lot of weight...

I'm not a health professional, so of course you must go and see what they have to say if they want to see you BUT sugar cravings etc, if you've having the odd biscuit etc, are normal... in my humble opinion.

I've mostly been sticking to the diet but having the odd biscuit or chocolate. Not everyday,when I'm tired which is most of the time lately I get such a craving. I wake up in the night with my whole body crying out for sugar and have sometimes snuck downstairs for a biccie :-(. I would have thought it was normal too just what with feeling so run down and now these blood tests results it got me wondering if it could be related to dukan. A part of me is probably looking for an excuse to give in as well if im honest!!! So if u think its unrelated and I'm worrying over nothing do tell me!

They may be related to dukan, they may not - but they do need to be investigated.

(Ultra low carb diets are now being recommended as a treatment for type 2 diabetes, so the chances"causing" diabetes are small.)

Just to add - people often describe the dukan diet as extreme, but in fact it is very close to what would have been considered a 'normal' diet just a few generations ago.

My grandmother's shopping basket was mainly eggs, meat, fish and fresh vegetable. Bread was a small wholemeal from the bakers. She bought a bar of swiss chocolate every few weeks to share with us, and made a cake if she was expecting guests a bridge party.

My Great-Grandma-in-law still eats like this, and at 96 can still get into dresses made for her when she was 20. (grrrrr....)

Atropos said:
Just to add - people often describe the dukan diet as extreme, but in fact it is very close to what would have been considered a 'normal' diet just a few generations ago.

My grandmother's shopping basket was mainly eggs, meat, fish and fresh vegetable. Bread was a small wholemeal from the bakers. She bought a bar of swiss chocolate every few weeks to share with us, and made a cake if she was expecting guests a bridge party.

My Great-Grandma-in-law still eats like this, and at 96 can still get into dresses made for her when she was 20. (grrrrr....)

Agree with this! I don't think there's anything unhealthy about a low sugar diet. When you go back to cave men years they lived on meat and vegetables and maybe a little fruit. Anything natural which is very similar to dukan. The diet offers sugar in the form of dairy. Our bodies don't NEED refined sugars like chocolate and biscuits. How ever much we love them! Lol . It's just habit and what we've lived on for so long. It's a big change to make but I don't think it would cause health problems. Especially the balance we are aloud in conso. Maybe it could be something else? Deffinately check it out though with the doctor

I think that any sabotaging of the diet, like a biscuit/chocolate, leads to move and even stronger cravings - it's a vicious circle. If you are feeling under the weather could you maybe add wheatbran if you don't already? Definitely consult your doctor and I wish you every luck.

My hubby has high cholesterol from constantly snacking on sweets and crisps and soft drinks. He has a real sweet tooth (although not for long with the way he goes). His main reason for doing this diet with me, as he only had 10/15lbs to lose, was to lower his cholesterol...He's had major sugar cravings since starting but has found many SF sweets that he is allowed, like SF jelly beans from JellyBelly and SF Lifesavers, which are Polo's at home. These have really helped, without breaking the diet and, sorry for TMI, helped with.. ahem.. moving things along....digestively.
I would find it odd, and worrying tbh, if Dukan caused your high cholesterol.....

Thank you all for the advice. I have an appointment on Tuesday so I'll have a chat with the doc. I've had a Terrible day today, went in to work walked thru the door an walked straight back out again, I phoned and said I was sick I just couldn't face it! It's too cold in my workplace and I felt so rough! Im wondering if maybe I have a bit of stress at the minute which is making me feel rough I have a lot on my plate - a 4 year old, a part time job, a degree course, planning a wedding, running a house and were having trouble conceiving as well. Maybe I just need a rest x

Have your thyroid levels looked at. I'm guessing they ran those also. Not sure where you are, but what's considered the normal level can vary. Just saying because fatigue, coldness are classic. Along with totally loosing your memory and fuzzy brain syndrome.

Thank you all for the advice. I have an appointment on Tuesday so I'll have a chat with the doc. I've had a Terrible day today, went in to work walked thru the door an walked straight back out again, I phoned and said I was sick I just couldn't face it! It's too cold in my workplace and I felt so rough! Im wondering if maybe I have a bit of stress at the minute which is making me feel rough I have a lot on my plate - a 4 year old, a part time job, a degree course, planning a wedding, running a house and were having trouble conceiving as well. Maybe I just need a rest x

Golly! No maybe about it, I think you deserve a rest.

Sometimes that's all it is - in 2010 I just, well, stopped - tired all the time, fuzzy headed, miserable - could barely climb stairs...

Had every test come back "normalish" - and a few weeks later I just started to feel better. GP just wrote it down in the end as "post-viral fatigue".

Do take care of yourself. It sounds like you've earned some TLC.

Jade - you def have a very full life with lots going on - a rest seems to be the order of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I am not sure Jade, thyroid sounds possible but also one of our staff developed diabetes and craved sweet stuff, in fact she couldn't not have it and so defo worth getting a check up as most of us crave the odd biccy but can usually quash it with a bit of protein. Good Luck and don't give up on Dukan till you are sure whats up!!! x

Let's just face it. Younger generations overindulge on all sorts of snacks and treats.... whereas our parents and grandparents did not have such a large variety of "junk food" available.
We are victims of our prosperous society.

Well I've just got back from the doctors and they've said I'm anaemic which explains the fatigue and coldness! Glad there is actually something wrong that can be dealt with. They've done more blood tests which should enable them to prescribe me something. The doc said the high cholesterol could be down to genes as it runs in my family or could just be that I ate breakfast before the blood test and shell test again in 6 months. I've also given my notice to work, the hours I was doing plus the stress minus the cost of childcare meant it just wasn't worthwhile. Feel better already thanks for all your help and advice x

(and I am bak on track with dukan I only have a stone and a half to go so I'm going to carry on)

glad to hear they have pinpointed something...onwards and downwards as they say now :D

Glad to hear it's nothing serious Jade (and it's true that eating before a cholesterol test could well give you a strange reading! my GP always tells me to do the test before eating or drinking.)

Is the doctor happy that you continue Dukan?

Back