Healthier lifestyle but gaining weight

Jamesc37

Hello

As the subject suggests I've recently developed a healthier lifestyle, I've started exercising heavily for an hour a day atleast 4 times a week and improved my diet but i appear to be gaining weight as opposed to losing it.

My diet isn't the best but i wouldn't suggest it was bad. I have a bowl of alpen for breakfast. A chicken sandwich using wholemeal bread and a normal meal at night but generally heavier on the salad. If i need to snack I have an apple.

My real concern is that my diet and exercise has really improved but seems to make no difference and was hoping for some advice!

Hi James,

How long have you been trying this for? Were you losing and now staying the same? Or is this the beginning of your weightloss?

I would switch the alpen, although its healthy its not low calorie. Also - what amount? The recommended serving size is usually way less than you'd think, I was eating at least 3 times the amount before I started weighing it!

Depending on your height and weight, you might not be eating enough for your body to effectively lose weight.

Also, what type of exercise are you doing? And at what rate are you gaining weight?

Sorry for all the questions, but it might help me answer you more fully.

I would pay close attention to your overall calorie intake over a day. This is crucial.

Also - what is your current weight?

Hello

As the subject suggests I've recently developed a healthier lifestyle, I've started exercising heavily for an hour a day atleast 4 times a week and improved my diet but i appear to be gaining weight as opposed to losing it.

My diet isn't the best but i wouldn't suggest it was bad. I have a bowl of alpen for breakfast. A chicken sandwich using wholemeal bread and a normal meal at night but generally heavier on the salad. If i need to snack I have an apple.

My real concern is that my diet and exercise has really improved but seems to make no difference and was hoping for some advice!

Make sure you keep track of your measurements! Even if your weight stays the same, you should soon see a difference in the measurements.

Also, even if you think it "seems to make no difference" remember any improvement in diet and exercise regime will be doing some good!

No 1 maintains a healthy lifestyle and burns off more calories than they consume & stays fat, it's impossible!

BUT my brother is very into training n he weighs 18st but is only a 34 inch waist cos he is muscly... I weigh 13.2 and I'm lots fatter than him.... Try n concentrate on ur body shape with measuring and pictures ... Cos I always say, if u could b in a size 10 dress with a lovely body but u weighed 20stone, would u care? The answer is no cos u want to achieve an image- ur weight is just a way of measuring its not the be all and end all :)

Join a group - WW or SW for 3 months (or on-line) to get you on the right track, then you can do it alone and here. I personally love SW but each to his / her own!

Muscle weighs more than fat - so you may be loosing but but gaining muscle through exercise. Measure yourself, and work out how to calculate body fat percentage - that will be more accurate than scales if you are doing a lot of exercise.

Mandlegrot said:
Muscle weighs more than fat - so you may be loosing but but gaining muscle through exercise. Measure yourself, and work out how to calculate body fat percentage - that will be more accurate than scales if you are doing a lot of exercise.

That's not true. A pound of muscle is the same as a pound of fat, it just takes up less space.

Are your clothes looser? Muscle weighs more than fat - and like others have said - you need to also watch the serving sizes and quantities of food you're eating. Also, when you first start, your body may not be used to it and it goes into WTF mode.

Keep at it though, it seems like you're on the right track.

Sometimes the body just needs some time to adjust. It might be in shock.

Back