• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more

Healthy eating on a Budget??

S: 16st2lb C: 13st11lb G: 12st10lb BMI: 29.3 Loss: 2st5lb(14.6%)
Hi, I'm a student and LL (with it being expensive, and having to buy a new wardrobe to accompany) has pretty much screwed up my finances. Not on LL any more, but trying to follow a sort of GI-ish diet. When I filled my cart up with fruit and veg (at asda) it came to like £50 and I can eat all that no problem in a week but I cannot afford to spend that much! I don't eat out normally anyway.

Any hints and tips on how to eat healthily but without the expense?

Get Rid of this ad and join in on the conversation for free today! Tap here!

KD

Gone fishing
Wow £50 pw is quite a lot. I eat healthily, but aim for £25-30 pw. There again, I'm not doing low GI as I found it so confusing:eek:, but I guess a fair few foods I have would fall into that catagory.

So with your fruit and veg, what else do you have? Porridge is a good one and cheap, and though baked pots are high, add baked beans and it lowers.

Lots of brown rice, pasta etc. I always have seeded bread now (don't like the white stuff anymore) and though it's pricier, I'll often pick up a half price one to freeze, and besides, a loaf of bread goes a long way :clap:

To keep the prices down, you might be better off going to any markets, looking for best buys and doing a few supermarkets rather than just one to get best value for money. I save heaps that way.

S: 30kg C: 30kg G: 60kg BMI: 13 Loss: 0kg(0%)
Are you getting ready-prepared fruit and veg? That's expensive. Try shopping later in the day when things may be priced down. I don't know what prices are really in England any more. What about frozen veg?