Healthy eating on a Budget??

PurpleButterfly

16lb to go!
Hi, I'm a student and LL (with it being expensive, and having to buy a new wardrobe to accompany) has pretty much screwed up my finances. Not on LL any more, but trying to follow a sort of GI-ish diet. When I filled my cart up with fruit and veg (at asda) it came to like £50 and I can eat all that no problem in a week but I cannot afford to spend that much! I don't eat out normally anyway.

Any hints and tips on how to eat healthily but without the expense?

Wow £50 pw is quite a lot. I eat healthily, but aim for £25-30 pw. There again, I'm not doing low GI as I found it so confusing:eek:, but I guess a fair few foods I have would fall into that catagory.

So with your fruit and veg, what else do you have? Porridge is a good one and cheap, and though baked pots are high, add baked beans and it lowers.

Lots of brown rice, pasta etc. I always have seeded bread now (don't like the white stuff anymore) and though it's pricier, I'll often pick up a half price one to freeze, and besides, a loaf of bread goes a long way :clap:

To keep the prices down, you might be better off going to any markets, looking for best buys and doing a few supermarkets rather than just one to get best value for money. I save heaps that way.

Are you getting ready-prepared fruit and veg? That's expensive. Try shopping later in the day when things may be priced down. I don't know what prices are really in England any more. What about frozen veg?

Back