Healthy Extra Query

Nicola1985

Hello all, this is my first post! :happy036:
I recently stumbled across this site after joining Slimming World and decided to register as there's some really helpful info and support!

Anyway, for my first question, I just wanted to ask...if I have two Healthy Extra items in a day (say a wholemeal pitta and 2 weetabix) which do I count as Syns because they have different values? I think a pitta is 7 and 28g porridge oats is 5. Obviously I would prefer to count the porridge oats as it frees up more syns! Thank you in adavance for your responses! xx

Hey there! Hello and welcome! If you have two HEB's you wouldn't have to syn either :) :) although you would if you chose Pitta Bread as it's not included as a healthy extra. Wholemeal bread would be :) I may be wrong, the more experienced SW's may correct me? :) Healthy Extra's are great as you can have stuff (like bread) you'd normally have to Syn guilt free! x

Co-op and Asda wholemeal pittas are Heb, and if you are on Extra Easy you only have one Hex b, as to having another and synning it, I would syn the highest because I am desperate for a good weigh in and to get out of the 14's but either way I am sure you will get a loss if on plan 100%

Fab, thanks for the info on Pitta's, I'm not the biggest bread fan! I assume it's own brand Pitta? *off to the shops*

Sadly only Co-op or Asda wholemeal pittas are HExB - all the others brands are synned.

The advice is to have a scan bran with your oatmeal which prob takes it to the same syn value as the co-op or asda wholemeal pita bread

Hello all, this is my first post! :happy036:
I recently stumbled across this site after joining Slimming World and decided to register as there's some really helpful info and support!

Anyway, for my first question, I just wanted to ask...if I have two Healthy Extra items in a day (say a wholemeal pitta and 2 weetabix) which do I count as Syns because they have different values? I think a pitta is 7 and 28g porridge oats is 5. Obviously I would prefer to count the porridge oats as it frees up more syns! Thank you in adavance for your responses! xx

Hey Im from Rotherham too :) Where abouts in Rotherham are you?? Im from Rawmarsh :)

Yes I am on Extra Easy so only allowed one HexB. I think any 60g wholemeal pitta can be classed as a HexB as it is listed under Slimming World's food diary tool (although not in the booklet - this just lists an Asda wholemeal pitta).

Only Co-op and Asda wholemeal pitta are HEXB. Other brands do not have enough fibre in them to qualify as a HEX.

I would syn the lowest of the two (the oats) because the difference between them and the pitta bread is only 40 calories so neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things and will have no impact on your losses at all.

BritMumInCanada said:
The advice is to have a scan bran with your oatmeal which prob takes it to the same syn value as the co-op or asda wholemeal pita bread

Britmum is correct. In fact, there are some consultants who say that unless you have ALL of your hex you should syn it. So unless you had a scanbran with your porridge you SHOULD syn the porridge, even though its a lower syn value item.

I love it when the strictness of SW rules works in our favour :)

Britmum is correct. In fact, there are some consultants who say that unless you have ALL of your hex you should syn it. So unless you had a scanbran with your porridge you SHOULD syn the porridge, even though its a lower syn value item.

But what if you can't eat Scan Bran? I can't as it has a rather dire effect upon my digestive system :eek: Can you have say a dark rye Ryvita instead or does it have to be a Scan Bran?

I replace Scan Bran with dark rye Ryvita as I am OK with them :)

BUT slimming world's own website disagrees with this! It says that you don't HAVE to eat all your HEx AND if you don't you do not have to syn it!

Shrimpy said:
BUT slimming world's own website disagrees with this! It says that you don't HAVE to eat all your HEx AND if you don't you do not have to syn it!

I know! Thats why i said some consultants say this!!

Ohhhh. okay, sorry I misread that! :)

Shrimpy said:
Ohhhh. okay, sorry I misread that! :)

No worries! My consultant is one of those who still says this you see. Keep telling her the site contradicts her but she's old school & won't listen :))

:)
Mine still recommends weekly syns.

Only Co-op and Asda wholemeal pitta are HEXB. Other brands do not have enough fibre in them to qualify as a HEX.

Thanks for pointing this out - I have been having Morrisons wholemeal pittas thinking "oh there can't be much difference" but obviously there is! :eek: Thankfully I don't really use a lot of syns so will hopefully have compensated for it there. I took myself straight to Coop last night and bought some of theirs instead! :)

:)
Mine still recommends weekly syns.

I much prefer counting my syns like this. It leaves a bit of leigh way if I know I am going to have a bit of a full on weekend (like this one!).

Back