1. You can now easily put an SW award in your signature/posts like a smilie. Just look for the SW award tab after you tap on the smilie face.
    Dismiss Notice

Healthy Extras - pleease help me! (see end of thread)

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by Marie_D, 22 June 2009 Social URL.

1. Marie_D

Marie_D Well-Known Member

And so the questions begin....lol....

If I'm on a green day, am I right in thinking that I can have as much pasta/rice/potato as I like, but only a small amount of lean meat?

I don't have my books yet, but don't really want to wait any longer to get started - if I could get a good idea of what I can and can't have, then I'll try and start tomorrow.

Also...am I right in thinking that I can eat as much veg, fruit and mullerlights as I like (on red and green days?) as snacks etc through the day, or are they syns if they are snacks?

I was thinking tomorrow that I could have.....

Mushroom and cheese omelette for breakfast (2 eggs, mushrooms and Cathedral City Lighter cheese,cooked in frylight) - so would that be ok? The cheese would be 1 healthy extra A - right? How much cheese can I actually have??

Lunch, was thining maybe jacket potato with baked beans....is that syn free?

Then for dinner, I was thinking about maybe a chilli con carne - but I have a tin of Homepride chilli con carne sauce to use up, so it woud be made with 75g quorn mince and then half the jar of sauce....can I have it from a jar on SW or does it need to be homemade? Then I assume the rice would be a free food on a green day?

Sorry!! I know I'm annoying already - I've only been here 5 mins too!! :rolleyes:

If anyone can help me, I will be eternally grateful though ;)

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

Register a free account with MiniMins and join in the conversation!
  3. Donnie46

Donnie46 Slow but sure....

You would be advised to cook your chilli, pasta sauces etc from scratch as the jar's of cook in sauces are quite high in syns, if you take a look in the recipe thread above you will probably find a chilli recipe there, good luck with your diet.

4. henna!

henna! I can do this............

All looks good for a green day but as donnie has said you are better off making the chilli from scratch the jar would be high in syns.

If it is normal cathedral city you could have 28g or if it is cathedral city lighter it is 42g.

Hope this helps good luck on your journey! x

5. dino4

dino4 Well-Known Member

hope that helps...presuming you are heading for green

6. henna!

just checked the website and it says 12.5 syns on green for the chilli sauce! hope this helps!

7. Circes

Circes Strutting her stuff

Basically that's right.

• You can have 42g of reduced fat cheese as a HEA
    • Syn-free foods are free irrespective of whether you have them as part of a meal or as a snack
    • Baked potato and beans is syn-free
    • As Donnie has said home-made is generally better as you can control the syn count by selecting free or low syn ingredients. Tinned are usually high in syns but if you need to use you're Homepride it has 16.5 syns for a 500g can or 12.5 for a 500g jar. Depends how many folk your dividing it between whether you think that's worth it.
    • Rice is free on green.
    I would say that you still have two HEBs to fit in and another HEA if you want, and you need to be having more fruit/veg and using some syns as well.

8. dino4

dino4 Well-Known Member

Fry Light, for spraying
    1 large onion, finely chopped
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    2 fresh chillies, deseeded and chopped
    2 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1 tsp paprika
    a pinch of cayenne pepper
    1 x 397g/14oz can chopped tomatoes
    1 level tbsp tomato puree
    284ml/½ pint beef stock made with Bovril from the jar
    salt and ground black pepper
    454g/1lb extra lean beef, minced
    1 x 198g/7oz can red kidney beans, drained
    fresh coriander leaves, to garnish

1. Spray a large saucepan with Fry Light and fry the minced beef until brown. Drain off the fat. Add the onion to the mince and cook gently until softened.
    2. Add the garlic, chillies and all the spices and continue frying, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes.
    3. Add the canned tomatoes, tomato puree and stock. Stir well and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 15 minutes, until the liquid is slightly reduced.
    4. Season with salt and pepper and add the drained kidney beans. Heat through gently for about 5 minutes.
    5. Serve hot, sprinkled with chopped coriander leaves, with some plain boiled rice (2 Syns per 28g/1oz on Original) and a green salad.

using quorn mince or pieces its syn free just take out the beef mince first though! also change the stock to a veggie one vecon or marmite

Last edited: 22 June 2009
  9. Julianne_julz

Julianne_julz Bears dont dig on dancin'

Yes to Q1,
    Q2 fruit/veg/mullers free on green, don't do red so wouldn't know, but assume so...
    Q3, lunch syn free.

Oh I missed this one: Cheese, if reduced fat: 42g

Chilli:

1 bag q mince
    2 can mixed beans
    1 can tomato
    Onion
    1 chilli
    Garlic x 3cloves
    Chilli flakes
    2tbsp tomato puree
    2-3tbsp sweetener.
    Cumin x 1tsp
    Corriander x 1tsp

Gently fry onion 3-4mins, add garlic, mushrooms, chilli, cumin, corriander, and mince, fry 5mins. Add rest of ingredients and cook for another 15/20mins, or put in dish and bake for 30mins.

It's so yummy and really easy :) xx

10. Chuffy_29

Chuffy_29 Bring it on!

Really quick chilli:
    One chopped onion
    one tin chilli beans (kidney beans in chilli sauce) free on green
    quorn mince
    chilli powder (or a fresh chilli)

Lob it all in the pan, stir it up cook for 15-20 mins until the kidney beans are soft and voila quick and easy chilli!

11. Starlight

Starlight Well-Known Member

If youre using sauce get Dolmio Extra light bolognese sauce - works out at 12 I think for the whole jar, works out at 4 per portion for me :)

Did you order the starter pack then??

12. henna!

This sounds like my kind of chilli quick and very easy! thanks chuffy!

13. Marie_D

Wow, thank you all so much for your replies! I think I'm gonna like it in here ;)

I'm a bit confused about the whole chilli thing though...if I'm using quorn mince, is that free on a green day if it's only 75g? And the sauces, if they're homemade, are they free or pointed??

14. Marie_D

Not pointed - I mean syns - syns, not points - must stop thinking with my WW brain, haha

15. dino4

dino4 Well-Known Member

Basic/Non Branded Foods Quorn, mince/pieces 100g

[​IMG] Original Free [​IMG] Green Free

there you are!

depending on how you make your sauces a majority of them will be free. if you make a curry sauce using the jar paste the paste will be pointed (former ww here lol) but use a powder then it will be free.

16. Marie_D

Wow - so my whole dinner would be free if I made my own sauce!!? I'm well chuffed with that!

That said, as I won't have used any syns or anything during the day, I might just use the can of sauce I already have in the cupboard for this week. I'm a bit wary of using extras because I don't have my info books yet so don't know how many syns anything is, but you can have 5-15 syns a day (can't you?) so using 8 syns for my chilli isn't bad, is it?

As for my healthy extras, I will use 250ml semi-skimmed milk in tea/coffee for the day, so that's one isn't it? The one for the cheese for my omelette. So then I need 2 healthy B's...but I have no idea what the options are! Is it ok if I don't have them, or do I need to have them really?

17. dino4

dino4 Well-Known Member

you need to use your syns so personal choice on how you use them...some folks save them for the weekend or a spec nite out, takeaway. some use them cos they dont want to use the diet version of the food.like i use them for half spoon sugar cos i am a wuss at going fully onto sweetners! (a scare story from years ago about artifical sweetners causing health problems)

nuts / houmous ,bread, 21g beef mince, crispbreads, canned fruit, canned soup, stewed fruit. thats more ideas for healthy extras, see what you would like to and i will put up the weights for it.

18. dino4

dino4 Well-Known Member

check out the food diaries at the top of the page. they will be useful

19. Marie_D

Ooh, canned soup, can I have WW tomato soup as a healthy extra?!

And I forgot about saving syns for nights out etc, which reminds me.....how many syns are in a bottle of wine? No point me asking for a glass, because I never drink it by the glass - it's always the whole bottle :eek: lol

I will check out the food diaries - good thinking, thanks!

20. dino4

dino4 Well-Known Member

its a few baxters healthy choices that come as a hexb

wine is 6 pts per 175 ml

21. henna!

A bottle of wine normally contains 26 syns!! So long as you can drink it in moderation you will be fine!! A 6 syn glass is normally ok?!