Healthy VS not so healthy calories..

laurenmay

Gold Member
I'm not sure how to word this - it makes sense in my head but not so much written down I bet!

I used to CC before, and I wouldn't eat junk with my calories, but I wouldn't say I was the healthiest I could be either. I've never been a fruit or veggies fan, so the most of either I'd have a day would be maybe a banana, or a small jacket potato... Otherwise I'd eat plenty of cereal, like weetabix or shredded wheat, always skimmed milk, rarely any carbs unless it was a slice of wholemeal or granary toast dry. I'd eat a lot of eggs, and tons of chicken and tuna. But no good hearty vegetables or anything of the sort.. I'd also have things like Snackajacks, cereal bars and muller lights - all the low fat treats really.

I lost weight eating that way, and got down to goal and stayed at goal for a while - until I got pregnant and piled on the weight - and now this time round on CC I'm trying my best to be as healthy as possible, buying veggies I absolutely hate and forcing them down me. But because I'm trying to be so healthy, and eating things I don't like I'm finding dieting a real chore, which then makes me quit and turn back to junk food and binging.

Is it really so bad to stay away from veggies and stuff it I don't like them? Could I take some vitamins instead to ensure my body is getting plenty of what it needs & then eat as healthily with my calories as I can?

I bought Bob Harpers book the skinny rules, and I know that it gives great results, but a lot of the rules revolve around fruit and veg and I just can't bare either! Help!

Personally I am shocked at the small quantity of fruit and veg in people's diaries on here. Two fingers of kitkat, a Cadbury cream egg, a breakfast bar and a baked potato may be under your calorie limit but it is garbage, you will be hungry and for those trying to conceive or pregnant (where some of the shocking diaries seem to be) are simply irresponsible.

Don't buy loads of things that you don't like. Maybe try buying one thing a week and trying a bit every day. Say you don't like cucumber - buy one and have a slice every day or at every meal. That way, you get to try new things and hopefully find new healthy things to eat, without completely resenting your diet because you're constantly having to eat things you hate. You have to do something that's manageable for you to live with. One step at a time :)

Gled33 said:
Personally I am shocked at the small quantity of fruit and veg in people's diaries on here. Two fingers of kitkat, a Cadbury cream egg, a breakfast bar and a baked potato may be under your calorie limit but it is garbage, you will be hungry and for those trying to conceive or pregnant (where some of the shocking diaries seem to be) are simply irresponsible.

I'm not pregnant, nor trying to conceive, and although I don't like fruit or veggies, I HAVE been eating them - apples, bananas, assorted berries, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower etc. I'd never have actual chocolate while CC, maybe a small 95kcal freddo on a Friday night but otherwise none - it's purely things like nutri grain, weetabix bars, muller lights and WW desserts, but only ONE a day, and that doesn't mean one of each!

I know the boundaries between eating for my health and treats, and that they are meant to be treats and not everyday foods. All I was saying is how I'm not a keen fruit or veg fan, as much as I try I just struggle to like any of it.

Stitchy said:
Don't buy loads of things that you don't like. Maybe try buying one thing a week and trying a bit every day. Say you don't like cucumber - buy one and have a slice every day or at every meal. That way, you get to try new things and hopefully find new healthy things to eat, without completely resenting your diet because you're constantly having to eat things you hate. You have to do something that's manageable for you to live with. One step at a time :)

Well this week I bought carrots, cauliflower and broccoli, and some mushrooms.. Cooked them all, but then blended them up with 100g chicken breast and a small serving of gravy. Counted all the calories and nutritional info, and blended everything so it's like baby food consistency. It's really tasty, and the only way I can see me getting good veggies in me - I think the texture of them bothers me more than the taste!

Well as long as your getting them in then that's a fantastic start, especially when it's something that your not keen on.
Glad you have found a way around it.

Hiya I'm not a massive fruit or vegetable fan but I try to mix berries or bananas into my porridge, most my dinner veg is blended in a food processor and added to things like chilli and spaghetti Bol, even a homemade curry can have loads of veg in it, I use mainly carrots, leeks, celery, peppers and mushrooms but u can use what you like. I'm also trying to add beans and lentils to things to bulk meals out and they're full of goodness x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I love fruit and veg and salad but used to hate it. The more you eat it the more you get used to it and you'll start craving it when you stop. There are so many veggies there will be some you like you just need to experiment. Do you like stir fry veg and noodles? Butternut squash is delicious roasted then mashed up with a bit of olive oil it's really sweet, sweet corn? Sugar snap beans are lovely too. Start with sweeter veg and stuff you haven't tried before I bet you find some you like. Also tinned tomatoes count as a 5 a day so if u make a bolognaise you could make your own sauce, blend onion mushroom and peppers together then add to tinned tomatoes it thickens it up and you've got 4 of ur 5 a day in there x

I've never tried stir fry to be honest, but I don't like noodles.. I might buy a ready made stir fry veg pack from tesco and give it a go? I do need to eat more fruit and veggies, I'm really unwell with a nasty chest infection, flu and tonsillitis at the moment, and part of the reason is probably because I don't eat well so my immune system is in pieces!

laurenmay said:
I've never tried stir fry to be honest, but I don't like noodles.. I might buy a ready made stir fry veg pack from tesco and give it a go? I do need to eat more fruit and veggies, I'm really unwell with a nasty chest infection, flu and tonsillitis at the moment, and part of the reason is probably because I don't eat well so my immune system is in pieces!

Yes you will feel a lot better if you eat more fruit and veg. Tesco do a market value frozen stir fry veg it's really nice and very quick and easy. You could have it with rice and prawns??

I'm not a rice fan and really dislike prawns, but I'll have a look at getting the stir fry and maybe have it on its own or with chicken?

yeah chicken would work, what about some chinese 5 spice to put on it?you only need a bit but it just adds a bit more flavour to it all. pork is delicious with stir fry. i had a thread called success express food diary (someting like that lol) and i took pictures of my meals which were mostly veg and salad if you can find it it may give you some ideas on different things to try

hi lou
you have given me a great idea there thankyou 5 spices im going to get some of that to spice my stir frys up like you lou i now love my fruit and veg always did but the quick take aways with working always came in first but im learning now

chezz said:
hi lou
you have given me a great idea there thankyou 5 spices im going to get some of that to spice my stir frys up like you lou i now love my fruit and veg always did but the quick take aways with working always came in first but im learning now

Takeaways are not quick!! By the time you've waited for it to be delivered sometimes upto an hour you could have cooked a slap up meal. It's bad habits. I'm the same, it's laziness with me I'd rather wait 45 mins for a takeaway than cook but I don't have them now. I had one Sunday, first time in weeks and I feel yucky and bloated. I could think of 10 meals that would be quicker than a takeaway ;) xx

Back