Hello & a few questions

NatalieW

Hi all!

I have been on the low GI since Jan and have lost a stone so far, it is very slow coming off. I am very excited to find this forum, doing this on my own is a little hard. I've been following Rick Gallops books.

When I get tired all I want to do is eat, which is primarily the reason why the weight loss is slow. Has anyone got any tips on helping with that?

I have tried a sugar replacer, when I make some sweet things, but I hate the taste, it's awful. Anyone use a good one that doesn't taste awful?

Hi and welcome. :) Similar to your tiredness eating, I used to really struggle with boredom eating. I tried something called Slimpods (there's a forum here somewhere) and although I was skeptical they do seem to have helped me. A few other suggestions that won't cost money:

- schedule your meals and snacks so that you have one planned for the time you tend to give in

- if you're eating high GI foods, try going two weeks without any. They create cravings for more high GI foods which won't help.

- organise something to distract you at those times, maybe a craft project or something? Or post on minimins ;)

I can't use artificial sweeteners so I use something called Sweet Freedom (available in Tesco and probably others). This is low GL but not calorie-free so I use it in moderation. I've found it better to try to move my mindset away from expecting sweet tastes regularly rather than trying to substitute them personally, but everyone is different. I think Splenda (sucrolose) is supposed to be the artificial sweetener with the least nasty taste.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I will look into SlimPods.

I do have a distraction in the form of a three year old! It's where all my tiredness comes from mixed with my job. So on my day off, on a Friday are my worse days and when I get home from work 5pm til monsters bed time. It's more habit than hunger.

Sweet Freedom sounds good, I shall go to tesco this afternoon.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Well done on your losses to date.
I agree with Plum regarding avoiding higher GL foods. I find , even in moderation, these tend to set off cravings.
A nice alternative to satisfy a craving is some frozen berries mixed with a dessert spoon of yoghurt. It goes like ice cream and it's low cal and low GL. Berries are low GL and frozen ones are a cheaper alternative to fresh and will always be on hand.
Agave syrup or sweet freedom are the safest options if you need a sugar substitute.
Look up some of the recipes on the thread in the stickies section. South beach diet recipes are also usually GL friendly too.
Post your menus on here and everyone will give you some feedback on them.
Keep up your water intake too. 2 litres a day. It really helps with hunger pangs. Often when we feel hungry it is just water our bodies crave. Your bladder will adjust to the volume after a few days!!! Your skin will also look great.
Keep at it.

Back