Hello! Am I allowed to join you?

Buttonboots

Hello!

Am I allowed to join you?

I'm not part of any Slimming Club ( and this forum seems to be part of the Slimming Club area of the site)...if I'm not really allowed to be here, just whisper in my ear and I'll slink away!

I have loads to lose. I'm trying not to focus on losing the whole amount - much better to concentrate on smaller goals.

So, I weigh 20 stone and 7 pounds....and I just about manage to hit the 5 foot 4 mark...so a fair few pounds to go to even be considered 'obese'.

I can't go to clubs - I have ASD (Autism) and I really don't like groups! Also, I have severe dyspraxia which means I am often housebound. Exercise is out of the question!

So, how did I end up so big? It's a question I often ask myself. I was slender as a child, pudgy by the time I left school, and steadily ballooned since then - I'm 50 now. There was a brief period when I lost a few stone, but it didn't 'creep' back on so much as gallop!

I think my weight issues started when I was in my teens ....my ASD was undiadnosed, and the doctors were trying to sort me out. Their answer was to basically dope me! I was on tranqulisers at the age of 14. I was so zonked I could hardly move. In addition the Dyspraxia meant that I was excused all PE and Games at school (not that I was complaining....it meant I got to sit in the library instead!)...so no physical exercise at all. ASD meant I had few/no friends to meet after school. So food became my best friend...and never failed to comfort me. Without going into details, some people said and did some things to me - palying on my vulnerability - that made me totally withdraw into myself....and cling more and more to the ever reliable food.

Eventually I managed to pull myself up and with the help of the World's Best Mum, I managed to compete my First Degree studes and went on to train as a teacher of Maths. I worked until a few years ago when my disability reached the point that even part-time work is no longer possible.

Just sitting around the house meant that there was more chance to eat....and I did! And then I decided that enough was enough.

I have had to give up a number of interests....but decided to try a few new ones...I may just sit around at home, but that doesn't mean I can't do things! I cook when I and and freeze food for when I can't. I have started cross-stitch again and am planning a few Christmas Presents (hoping to save money here too - as I live on benefits!), I have just started a new hobby - sketching. I own a Kindle and read all I can get!.....and having got this far I thought it was time to shed the blubber!

I am following a High Fibre and Low Fat diet. (From the F2 plan books....remember the F Plan?). And I am on Xenical - started this week!....and I've joined the Xenical forum on this site!

So that's me!

This time I'm going to do iy!

Buttonboots said:
Hello!

Am I allowed to join you?

I'm not part of any Slimming Club ( and this forum seems to be part of the Slimming Club area of the site)...if I'm not really allowed to be here, just whisper in my ear and I'll slink away!

I have loads to lose. I'm trying not to focus on losing the whole amount - much better to concentrate on smaller goals.

So, I weigh 20 stone and 7 pounds....and I just about manage to hit the 5 foot 4 mark...so a fair few pounds to go to even be considered 'obese'.

I can't go to clubs - I have ASD (Autism) and I really don't like groups! Also, I have severe dyspraxia which means I am often housebound. Exercise is out of the question!

So, how did I end up so big? It's a question I often ask myself. I was slender as a child, pudgy by the time I left school, and steadily ballooned since then - I'm 50 now. There was a brief period when I lost a few stone, but it didn't 'creep' back on so much as gallop!

I think my weight issues started when I was in my teens ....my ASD was undiadnosed, and the doctors were trying to sort me out. Their answer was to basically dope me! I was on tranqulisers at the age of 14. I was so zonked I could hardly move. In addition the Dyspraxia meant that I was excused all PE and Games at school (not that I was complaining....it meant I got to sit in the library instead!)...so no physical exercise at all. ASD meant I had few/no friends to meet after school. So food became my best friend...and never failed to comfort me. Without going into details, some people said and did some things to me - palying on my vulnerability - that made me totally withdraw into myself....and cling more and more to the ever reliable food.

Eventually I managed to pull myself up and with the help of the World's Best Mum, I managed to compete my First Degree studes and went on to train as a teacher of Maths. I worked until a few years ago when my disability reached the point that even part-time work is no longer possible.

Just sitting around the house meant that there was more chance to eat....and I did! And then I decided that enough was enough.

I have had to give up a number of interests....but decided to try a few new ones...I may just sit around at home, but that doesn't mean I can't do things! I cook when I and and freeze food for when I can't. I have started cross-stitch again and am planning a few Christmas Presents (hoping to save money here too - as I live on benefits!), I have just started a new hobby - sketching. I own a Kindle and read all I can get!.....and having got this far I thought it was time to shed the blubber!

I am following a High Fibre and Low Fat diet. (From the F2 plan books....remember the F Plan?). And I am on Xenical - started this week!....and I've joined the Xenical forum on this site!

So that's me!

This time I'm going to do iy!

Hello Buttonboots! I think the only criteria for joining the merry band on this forum is to have a lot of weight to lose! I thought I'd say hi, as I'm also 50, and on Xenical. I was about a stone heavier than you when I started, and have lost over 5.5 stone so far (never know exactly how much as I only get weighed every couple of months, by my doctor), using calorie counting. Like you, I can't exercise at all, as I have ME as well as arthritis in both knees, so it's had to be pure dietary control for me. I've been doing it for a year now, so slow and steady, but hopefully sustainable!

I wish you all the best in your efforts, and hope to follow your progress on here and on the Xen forum. xx

of course you are welcome!!! wemitts is just for bigger people, no matter the diet or wol!!

I sympathise with the dispraxia, I suffer from it, but have a relatively minor case compared to you. Pretty clumsy, uncoordinated, and tend to think in circles, go off in tangents etc =P I had a personal trainer for a while and he exhausted me as much mentally as physically...! Those damn ladders, like hopscotch type jumping he had me doing... *brain meltdown*

Smaller goals are good, every single pound you lose is important!!

Good luck with your weight loss and if you ever need to talk we're all here.

much love from Hannah xxxx

Of course you are welcome :)

I hate to admit but I suffer with something called PDA, which is pretty similar to Aspergers. I also struggle socially but I have got a lot more confident with myself, made friends slowly etc. it has just taken me longer than most people to do so, the majority of them I met on the internet too. It must be very, very, very frustrating for you to try and lose weight while suffering with dyspraxia. Perhaps you could have a go with trying exercises in the house, like the wii fit or a fitness dvd? I also have a kindle, I find it great if I feel a bit peckish I distract myself by getting it out and getting stuck into reading something! x

welcome to the group, of course you can join in, the more the merrier, yes like Tracy said I think basically the only criteria you need to meet to join us lot is having a lot of weight to lose or have lost a lot I guess which basically covers us all in here. I'm like you and don't feel I can attend say a diet group, not for the same reason though just for me I suffer with an eating disorder and mental health issues and as a result would find it hard to face going to a group each week yet this forum is so friendly and so helpful, we all have our issues here! ha ha

I am sure you will find it a very supportive environment and its always good to chat with others who have similar amount of weight to lose. Em xx

Last edited:
we sure are!! ha ha :D Em xx

Hey buttonboots welcome to crew :)
I'm in the 50's club too & have lupus, so exercise is difficult with my mobility issues & chronic fatigue. When i started my weight loss journey I went on youtube & looked @ DVDs for less mobile people. There are some nice chair exercise DVDs out there, not that I've started them properly but when my energy levels go up I will use them to get a little exercise & definitely do the strength/toning ones.. saying that even without regular exercise I've lost over 30lbs since May.. good luck with your weight loss journey :)

i am not a member of any club and just doing healthy eating and moving my bottom from the sofa lol
Good luck on your mission :)

Back