Hello....I'm starting CD tomorrow morning!!

polishrose

Gold Member
My blood pressure went high again so I decided enough was enough.My baby is almost 5 months now and I have had a milk supply problem from the beginning so she is on half breastmilk and half formula.I presume I need to stop breastfeeding?

Hiya, welcome to the forum. Have you spoken to a CDC about the breastfeeding issue if you are starting tomorrow? What step are you starting at, i would have thought SS would be definately out if you are still breastfeeding due to the lack of calories you will be ingesting. Let us know what you end up doing x

Are the calories the only reason you can't breastfeed and SS?If so I might give it a go anyway just to see how it goes.I did think of asking for an extra pack.I can't put it off any longer-my BP is 187/110!!!The doc wants me to go on medication but the only tablets that I can tolerate are ones that can't be used when breastfeeding anyway.So I either diet and see if partial breastfeeding works, or go on tablets and have to give up anyway.

Thanks...I guess I'll give it a go and see.I have a lot of weight to lose hence doing CD...if I tried to lose 12 stone on a conventional diet it would take me years and years and I would get discouraged.CD and LL are the only diets that have ever worked for me.

Hi Polishrose, I am re-starting tomorrow too :)

I think if you are breast feeding you need to chat with your health visitor, the baby will be fine, as usual it will be you 'the mum' that suffers..

What ever you decide, good luck.. maybe we can encourage each other xx

Personally I think if you are hoping to carry on Breast Feeding that you should contact the head office for advice as to whether it's 'just' calories.. bearing in mind that even if it is just this, that you could be starving your body by breast feeding and end up in starvation mode which would stop you losing weight.

I'd be asking if the packs etc you eat are going to harm your baby.. that is a big risk in my eyes, as what you eat goes into your milk and down to your baby. Packs are powder based and not aimed at children or babies.

I'm sure head office will help you :).

In my opinion poslish rose you should finish breastfeeding first as your baby is so young - and the packs contain so many minerals and vits it could do a baby more harm then good. When you start weaning mayeb you could think about doing it - start on a higher calorie plan for a while and when boobyfeeding is done then you can SS.x

The trouble is my BP is so high that if I don't control it by losing weight I will have to take tablets like I did before I got pregnant-the trouble is I only tolerate one particular tablet and it's not suitable during feeding so I would have to give up anyway,which is why I'm willing to risk it and see how she reacts to it.I'm not feeding full time as I had a problem with the milk supply from the beginning, so she is having 2 feeds of formula a day anyway.I'm going to try the SS+ and see what happens as that way I am getting more calories.I know last time I did SS my BP dropped to an acceptable level after 8 weeks.Anyway I'll see how it goes.

.I'm going to try the SS+ and see what happens as that way I am getting more calories.I know last time I did SS my BP dropped to an acceptable level after 8 weeks.Anyway I'll see how it goes.

I'm really sorry Polishrose, but CD is contraindicated with breastfeeding. Even the 1500 calorie level is too low for what you and your baby needs.

I do understand your need to lose that weight, but this would be an excellent time to concentrate on eating properly...making healthy choices and all that.

What does your doctor recommend?

My doctor said as long as baby was gaining weight then he didn't see a problem.He likened it to women in poorer countries not getting enough to eat but still feeding babies and their babies being in perfect health.If there is any problem then I'll stop feeding her straight away as she already has 2 bottles of formula anyway and she will happily take it.It really isn't as simple as saying a conventional diet would be better-yes it would but with a BP of 187/110 I don't have the TIME to lose weight slowly and hope it drops.My CDC knows she is still going to be getting some of my milk(expressed incidentally,not straight from the breast as I will want to know how much she is having) and said it wasn't recommended but we would see.It may be that it's not manageable at all in which case I will have to go on tablets.My heart is already enlarged due to the extra blood pressure so it really isn't something I can put off.I like to think I am sensible enough to know if I should stop feeding totally.And just because something isn't recommended doesn't mean it will harm me or my baby.I did research it a bit but couldn't find much, other than "it's not suitable".Nowhere mentioned WHY.

My CDC knows she is still going to be getting some of my milk(expressed incidentally,not straight from the breast as I will want to know how much she is having) and said it wasn't recommended but we would see.

But, your CDC should not be supplying you. It's absolutely against the rules. It's not even one of those "get doctors permission". Breastfeeding = No CD.

It really makes no odds whether it's safe or not. Cambridge must know some reason why it can't be used when breastfeeding. It could be because of the calories not being enough...but there could be another reason. I have no idea, since I'm not the scientist. They did the research, and decided CD wasn't safe. I'm very surprised that your CD has taken it upon herself to flout that rule. Sigh.

KD I appreciate you being concerned enough to post, and I am going to keep researching this.If I come across any reason or if my baby reacts badly in any way then I will stop giving her my milk straight away.It's only for another month anyway.She is almost 5 months old and I plan to stop feeding her altogether at 6 months.I don't have a lot of milk anyway and had to give her a third bottle of formula today :(
Anyway....regardless of the rights or wrongs, I plan to stay on CD until I am slim, as I think my kids deserve a mummy who can play with them and not get out of breath after 2 minutes walking.

Back