Green Days Hello, Slimming World!

Beth8228

Hi everyone, just wanted to introduce myself and get registered onto this site because this is a journey where I will undoubtedly need support & I would also like to lend a hand to others.
After 6 months since my last diet, I decided it was time to stop ignoring my growing belly and pay £5 a week to get weighed infront of someone whilst trying to hold in the tears... good ol' weight loss groups, eh!
Before you've even got to know me I'm going to ask you lovely, fellow slimming world-ers for your help and advice... Week 1 was a disaster, the main stars of this were 2 packets of biscuits, a multipack of crisps and some seriously rubbish will power.
Don't get me wrong, I feel so motivated, current goal is 26 pounds by my 20th birthday in December; however, the fat isn't all of the battle- the relationship with food I have is ridiculous.
happy - have a celebratory biscuit
angry - have an angry chocolate bar
sad - eat your way through the entire cupboards until there is nothing left in, all whilst watching a really bad film.
So this ^ is what will be my big battle. Does anyone have any tips? is it a case of willpower and a shopping list that covers all bases? Maybe the answer to the question is quite simply 'alternatives' but what alternatives? Surely there aren't slimming world Cadbury products?
Sigh!
SOS, new dieter determined to sabotage herself before the diet has even begun!!

Thanks for taking the time to read... this stopped me from going to the kitchen and finding anything chocolate smothered!!

Welcome to the forums and well done for jumping on board with SW!

Try not to beat yourself up too much about week 1, almost everyone has slips like this...I know I do! I've always been an emotional eater, every time something good happens I always celebrate with food and it's a tough habit to break so I totally feel where you're coming from. I also eat when I'm bored and go for whatever I can find in the cupboards. Sometimes the mixture of food I end up with when I'm scrounging through the almost empty cupboards is completely bizarre and shouldn't be eaten by anyone...ever! It seems like a good idea at the time though ;)

As for breaking the habit, I try not to have any of the 'nice' food that I'd tend to go for in the house so that I have no choice but to eat healthy or not eat at all. If I do fancy something bad though I'll try to always look up the syns of it on here first so that I either shock myself out of eating it or spend so long searching for the syns to the handful of royal icing mixed with cocoa powder, chopped nuts and golden syrup that I seem to so desperately need at that point in time that by the time I've found the syns I've lost all interest in it. I think it's about distracting yourself and taking your mind off food rather than trying to use pure willpower. The Inspirational Photos section on this forum is also brilliant at helping to boost willpower.

Finally, the alternatives. It is tricky to find satisfying alternatives to chocolate and I used to be able to polish off a huge bar of Cadbury chocolate in about half an hour' However, since starting SW the largest amount of chocolate I've had is a Wispa and that's only because my OH bought it for me. I didnt really want it :rolleyes: A good alternative I found the other day is a pot of fat free fromage frais with a teaspoon of chocolate spread mixed in (a teaspoon of the Cadbury one is about 2 syns). That's pretty sickly and puts me off of eating any other sweet stuff for ages. Milky Way Magic Stars are also only 3.5 syns for a 12g bag (from the multipack).

I'm sure there are tonnes of other ideas around the forums too so have a look around and you might be surprised with the excellent ideas you'll find :) Best of luck!!!

Excellent advice from anti222. I would strongly agree that not having synful food in the house at all is really important. If it is there, I will eat it!

Oh, I do sympathize. I'm in a similar boat. I think sin foods are in 3 categories for me. Firstly, the things I adore and simply can't stop eating like muesli, peanut butter, cakes etc. So at the moment I choose not to have them in the house. Secondly are things I adore but eat outside the house, so only at a restaurant and because I have to plan to go out for them and then go home where they're not, then it's not too much of a problem. Then there are things that are a treat, but which I'm not that bothered with like bags of fruit and nut or dark chocolate. These I can keep in the house and don't send me bolistic at my first bite. I also like to have my little treats not long before bed, so there is less temptation to carry on eating them throughout the day.
These are my strategies, which don't always work, but are better than where I was at before. Good luck with your next weigh in.

Back