Hello

GI Jane

Hi fellow GI'ers! I hope you have room for another one! After going from a size 18 to 8 a few years ago & now a size 18 again I feel it's time to do something about it. I have tried to last couple of years to by trying several different diets, generally vlcd. Each time fallen off the wagon due to lack of willpower & the need for food, there are only so many shakes one can cope with! I've always put all the weight back on and more besides!

I've decided enough yo yo dieting and slow & steady for me! I signed up to Sainsbury's online diet and decided to follow the gi plan.

I am however struggling with lunch ideas. There is only so much burgen bread one can take. Does anyone have any lunch ideas, I don't have access to heat anything up as on the road most of the time.

Anyway enough about me!

Hope to hear from you soon

Jane

Hi Gi Jane! good luck on your quest to lose the weight.
I usually have lunch from one of these options;
500 mls water, coffee with one of:
>68 g tuna , large salad of leaves, tomato, pepper, scallion on two rye crackers seasoned with black pepper and balsamic
>50 g hummous with large salad of leaves, tomato, pepper, scallion on two rye crackers seasoned with black pepper and balsamic
> mixed bean salad using 3/4 tin
>Carman or Nakd bar
> any chicken salad wrap

You could pack a salad in a box and bring a couple of oatcakes or rye crackers. I find the Nakd 68 g bars filling enough for a lunch.
You might also try the tesco meal replacement bars for lunch. Lots of people on the forums seem to like these or the asda bars.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Hi Irish Molly, thank you for the reply. Today I have had:

banana
apple
2 x activa fat free yoghurts
alpen summer fruits bar
small pre packed chicken salad
100g of brown pasta, courgette, mushroom & low fat dolmino sauce (could not eat all this)

1.5 Ltrs water & 3 black coffees

Does this seem ok? I know Im following sainsburys meal plan but trying to tweak it to suit me.

I don't really like breakfast hence the fruit. Was wondering if cereals would be ok for lunch something like bran flakes or special k? As I quite like cereals but not too early in the morning lol.

GI Jane said:
Hi Irish Molly, thank you for the reply. Today I have had:

banana
apple
2 x activa fat free yoghurts
alpen summer fruits bar
small pre packed chicken salad
100g of brown pasta, courgette, mushroom & low fat dolmino sauce (could not eat all this)

1.5 Ltrs water & 3 black coffees

Does this seem ok? I know Im following sainsburys meal plan but trying to tweak it to suit me.

I don't really like breakfast hence the fruit. Was wondering if cereals would be ok for lunch something like bran flakes or special k? As I quite like cereals but not too early in the morning lol.

If your intake is per the sainsbury plan then I guess it's ok.
From my experience of GL this is what I have learned:
Breakfast is very important. If opting for fruit opt for berries, plums, pears then apples, banana etc. Banana has highish GL value so stick with a small banana. Berries have the lowest GL, you can have a whole 150g for breakfast and an egg. Why not hardboil eggs and munch on one and have berries after. Best cereal is oats. Most packaged cereals have high sugar content. Look for sugar free granola or better still make your own. Or plain old porridge with a few chopped apricots and seeds added.
Any "low fat" products will have hidden sugars. So it is best to opt for foods as unprocessed and natural as possible.
The amount of pasta seems high if it's dry weight. 40g dry weight and add in a lot more veg or a little fish. GL best choices for veg are those that grow above the ground. So peas, beans, broccoli, cabbage, mange tout are all good choices.
Check out the recipes thread in the stickies section for other meal ideas.
You are doing great. Have a good day.

Quinoa porridge for breakfast is scrummy and I find naturally very sweet. I soak my quinoa in s/s milk over night, then cook it gently in a pan for 25 minutes before adding a few almonds and a diced apple in the last ten minutes of cooking...it is incredibly filling too.

If you can only manage a light breakfast a couple of oat cakes with cream cheese or sugar free peanut butter on will give you energy or an omelette with plenty of ham and a spinkling of grated cheese will certainly give you energy until lunch.

Good luck. x x

Top tip there hon. You are sooo right. Breakfast is so important. I swear by porridge or half n half porridge and quinoa. Adding a little chopped fruit really adds the yummy factor. I also add a sprinkle of cinnamon and only use water to make mine.
Enjoy your day.

Hi Gi Jane! Nice to meet you. I'm new to GI diet too. Wow those breakfast tips sound really great. I'm going to have to try them. I haven't even thought about using quinoa as a porridge. You guys have really great tips and ideas. Again thank you for sharing them with us here!

Back