Help and Support Needed x

2013 is my year! I've be been big since childhood. I was always the slightly overweight child, then I lost my only sibling when I was 9. Now, there are groups to support grieving kids but back then (nearly 30 years ago) they didn't exist. I did a lot of comfort eating.
Add to that parents who rewarded, comforted & quietened me with food & I'm left with a habit built over 3 decades which is so difficult to break.
I have never been anything other than big so I don't have those 'thin' pics to put on the fridge to inspire me. I have no idea what thin feels like.
But now I have a beautiful daughter and a wonderful husband who believe that I can do this despite previous failed attempts. I am ready to change for me.
It is time to stop blaming my genes. My upbringing. The fact my husband loves me 'as I am'. The fact I've always been overweight. That I'm lazy & I love my food! And I'm big boned!
All just excuses. 07/01/13 is my start date. I need all the help & support I can get.
2013 is my year.

Last edited:
I am a newbie too (just joined today) and I need support just like you. Hopefully we can support each other, because as we both know - this weightloss business can be tough!

Thank you. I hope so too. Starting on 7th because we have family staying until then, also it'll be my first day back at work so into a routine. I can not wait! When do you start?

I started today. Ate so much over Xmas that I could hardly look at myself in the mirror (literally). What diet are you going to follow? I am going try a combination of WeightWatchers and JUDDD as an experiment.

I'm going for a VLCD - torn between Exante and Slim &Save at the moment. Will order a months supply in the next couple of days so will make a decision shortly. Guess I'll try one for the first month and the other for the second, then I can see if I have a preference or keep swapping for variety. Good luck with yours now- I'm actually jealous I'm not starting. But with visitors and New Year, I don't want to set myself up to fail. Be good to hear how you get on!

I know what you mean. The festive season is always a terrible time for any dieter. Luckily my New Year is going to be very quiet so I hope there won't be too much temptation. I'll be rooting for you - 2013 is going to be a great year for us! :)

Welcome and good luck!!!

How much weight are you aiming to lose? :D

Thank you. 6 1/2 stone :-( Seems so much but I'll take it 7lbs at a time.
Hi - just deal with it a pound at a time, it soon mounts up. When I get to goal I'll have lost over 6 stone and there are plenty of people on here that have done twice that and more.
It can be done, as well as the actual diet I think dealing with the emotional stuff is really important. Whether therapy, hypnosis, just reading some books - it's easier to make the changes when your focused. Good luck - you can do it.

Thanks. Definitely agree one step at a time. I have had some counselling over the last 18 months or so to address the issues I have, and the reasons I turn to food. I think that is why I feel so much more positive than I ever have before about getting there. My goal, where before was like an impossible mountain, now sends quite achievable. Something in my attitude has changed :)

Thanks. Definitely agree one step at a time. I have had some counselling over the last 18 months or so to address the issues I have, and the reasons I turn to food. I think that is why I feel so much more positive than I ever have before about getting there. My goal, where before was like an impossible mountain, now sends quite achievable. Something in my attitude has changed :)
Once you get that shift in attitude you're quite literally unstoppable as losing the weight is more important than anything else. It's the best and most important start - once you stay in the zone you'll be fine.

Back