Help!! Cannot lose weight!!!

Hello everyone!!

I quit smoking 3 months ago and the weight has steadily crept on. I've always followed slimming world (since 2007) but now it doesn't work. What's happening?? I've followed plan for the whole 3 months so I don't understand why I've gone up a dress size :(.

I don't have time to go to a club because I'm at Uni and doing my finals atm plus with 4 kids I'm so busy. I can't afford to pay £80 upfront for the online membership so I rely on looking on here quite a lot for inspiration and help.

Thank you

Donna

maybe post some food diaries so we can have a little look and see if we can see whats happening for you.

How about going back to basics and having a 'first week' again x

That's a good idea - thank you.

I'll start a diary tmrow along with my 'first week'. It's so annoying tho because I do something to improve my health and put weight on in the process :(

Thank you for your idea - will start tmrow :)

Donna

Food diary
Monday:
lunch 2 whole meal bread
Cheese
Banana. Grapes. Strawberries. Pineapple. Activia strawberry snackpot

Dinner:
Chilli made with lean mince, chopped toms, mushrooms, garlic, onion, chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, large Tin sweet corn, half Tin baked beans, chilli flakes - palm sized serving of cheese grated on top (prob a syn cos I had cheese on toast at lunch)

Tuesday

Breakfast: banana

Lunch cheese salad on whole meal (allowance). Pineapple. Strawberries. Grapes.

Fat and sugar free actimel type drink (tescos own)

2 x Chicken breast, teaspoon of garlic soft cheese in middle of each, wrapped in bacon (no fat). Tons and tons of salad, 6 potato wedges (slimming world recipe)

Banana and Activia fat free strawberry yogurt

That was early last week. I've had the same thing for lunch everyday except Friday I had to have a sandwich from the university cafe (chicken cesar salad on whole meal). Been eating more fruit than I care to mention I have way over my 5 a day but it's always banana apples strawberries pineapple lol.

Syns for the wk - portion of chippy chips (apx 25 chips) 3 choc digestives. Possibly the extra cheese I had on Monday.

I can't think of anything else - oh yeah had pork roast today but that's all I've had (cept my daily intake of apx ten Ton of fruit haha).

Xx

Hi,
If I,m reading this correctly you are 5ft 5 and 9st 9. Do you really need to lose weight? I am 5ft 6 and if I could be 10st 9 I,d be delighted. Not meaning to be critical but maybe your body is telling you that your weight is absolutely fine as you are. What sizeclothesdoyou wear?

Food diary
Monday:
lunch 2 whole meal bread
Cheese

Dinner:
Chilli made with lean mince, chopped toms, mushrooms, garlic, onion, chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, large Tin sweet corn, half Tin baked beans, chilli flakes - palm sized serving of cheese grated on top (prob a syn cos I had cheese on toast at lunch)

Tuesday

2 x Chicken breast, teaspoon of garlic soft cheese in middle of each, wrapped in bacon (no fat). Tons and tons of salad, 6 potato wedges (slimming world recipe)

That was early last week. I've had the same thing for lunch everyday except Friday I had to have a sandwich from the university cafe (chicken cesar salad on whole meal). Been eating more fruit than I care to mention I have way over my 5 a day but it's always banana apples strawberries pineapple lol.

Syns for the wk - portion of chippy chips (apx 25 chips) 3 choc digestives. Possibly the extra cheese I had on Monday.

I can't think of anything else - oh yeah had pork roast today but that's all I've had (cept my daily intake of apx ten Ton of fruit haha).

Xx

Lean mince is syns extra lean mince is free x

I also think the actimel drink will have syns in too. Will be easier to offer more guidance, when you post a few more food diaries :)

immediately I wonder what size and brand wholemeal bread are you o****ing as hex b, also the garlic soft cheese would have to be synned and also are you using any spread like margarine or something on your bread, ditto above the actimel type drink will likely be synned too.

also you might find that changing things a bit might help to, especially if you have the same thing every day with those sneaky syns creeping in.

Sometimes when we've been doing something for a while we get very comfortable and don't realise the sneaky syns x

supergran52 said:
Hi,
If I,m reading this correctly you are 5ft 5 and 9st 9. Do you really need to lose weight? I am 5ft 6 and if I could be 10st 9 I,d be delighted. Not meaning to be critical but maybe your body is telling you that your weight is absolutely fine as you are. What sizeclothesdoyou wear?

Hiya. I'm 5ft 3 and 9st 4(good old touch screen phones lol) I'll change that when I get a min. I think it's because when I was a smoker I was 121lbs which is about 8st 10ish - I think ur prob right, I just feel so uncomfortable I was a 10 but now a 12 since quitting xx

I think we all want to be a size 10 but in my case that would only be in my dreams lol. I once lost a lot of weight and was only 8st 4. You could feel my bones and I looked ill.That was a longtime ago.

Last edited:
Welshtigger said:
I also think the actimel drink will have syns in too. Will be easier to offer more guidance, when you post a few more food diaries :)

It's the syns I struggle to calculate tbh. I think after my final exam I'm going to go back to group Id have never thought a fat and sugar free drink wud have syns. I get sooo confused with it all lol x

kerryathome said:
immediately I wonder what size and brand wholemeal bread are you o****ing as hex b, also the garlic soft cheese would have to be synned and also are you using any spread like margarine or something on your bread, ditto above the actimel type drink will likely be synned too.

also you might find that changing things a bit might help to, especially if you have the same thing every day with those sneaky syns creeping in.

Sometimes when we've been doing something for a while we get very comfortable and don't realise the sneaky syns x

Thanks for ur help - Very true about being too samey, I'll get varying this wk. I use 400g warbies - sometimes I have the 400g seeded batch but I'm not sure if that's the same as the normal whole meal ??x

babydbrannan said:
It's the syns I struggle to calculate tbh. I think after my final exam I'm going to go back to group Id have never thought a fat and sugar free drink wud have syns. I get sooo confused with it all lol x

You would need to divide the cals by 20 and that will give you the syns :)
That formula works fr abything with no free food allowance, so snacks, sauces, cakes, soups etc

Food diary
Monday:
lunch 2 whole meal bread
Cheese

Dinner:

**No breakfast? Lean mince-syns? Not 1/3 superfree in chilli. What size loaf of bread is heb from?
Cheese needs weighing

Tuesday

** syns in actimel? Cheese and bread measured? Syns garlic soft cheese? Not enough breakfast.

***syns in canteen sandwich?
Too much fruit isn't always a good thing.

Made some ** notes on ur food diary

Emmamb said:
Food diary
Monday:
lunch 2 whole meal bread
Cheese

Dinner:

**No breakfast? Lean mince-syns? Not 1/3 superfree in chilli. What size loaf of bread is heb from?
Cheese needs weighing

Tuesday

** syns in actimel? Cheese and bread measured? Syns garlic soft cheese? Not enough breakfast.

***syns in canteen sandwich?
Too much fruit isn't always a good thing.

Made some ** notes on ur food diary

Thank you. I really need to get back to a group to re-educate myself x

Welshtigger said:
You would need to divide the cals by 20 and that will give you the syns :)
That formula works fr abything with no free food allowance, so snacks, sauces, cakes, soups etc

Thank you. I'll use this formula x

supergran52 said:
I think we all want to be a size 10 but in my case that would only be in my dreams lol. I once lost a lot of weight and was only 8st 4. You could feel my bones and I looked ill.That was a longtime ago.

Well you certainly can't see or feel my bones lol. I'll have to make the effort to get to a group and a gym after my exams :) x

I'm probably going ot reinterate what everyone else is saying here, but here goes.

Monday:
lunch 2 whole meal bread What size bread? A HEB is 60g, which is usally 2 slices from a 400 g loaf
Cheese - How much cheese? Did you weigh it? A HEA is 30g

Dinner:
Chilli made with lean mince (synned), chopped toms, mushrooms, garlic, onion, chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, large Tin sweet corn, half Tin baked beans, chilli flakes - palm sized serving of cheese grated (Did you actually weigh it? A palm size portion of cheese is more likely to be 6 syns that 1 syn)on top (prob a syn cos I had cheese on toast at lunch)

Tuesday

Lunch cheese salad on whole meal (allowance) - Did you weigh your HEB & HEA?. Pineapple. Strawberries. Grapes.

Fat and sugar free actimel type drink (tescos own) Syns)

2 x Chicken breast, teaspoon of garlic soft cheese (Syns) in middle of each, wrapped in bacon (no fat). Tons and tons of salad, 6 potato wedges (slimming world recipe)

I can't think of anything else - oh yeah had pork roast today but that's all I've had (cept my daily intake of apx ten Ton of fruit haha) - Try swapping some of your fruit for raw veggies like carrots

At a very basic level, you aren't really following the plan hun. YOu need 1/3rd superfree (sweet corn and peas are not superfree remember) and you need to weigh your healthy extras. You can't just guess on the syn values of stuff either. Especially when you are at a relatively low weight.

kingleds said:
I'm probably going ot reinterate what everyone else is saying here, but here goes.

Monday:
lunch 2 whole meal bread What size bread? A HEB is 60g, which is usally 2 slices from a 400 g loaf
Cheese - How much cheese? Did you weigh it? A HEA is 30g

Dinner:
Chilli made with lean mince (synned), chopped toms, mushrooms, garlic, onion, chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, large Tin sweet corn, half Tin baked beans, chilli flakes - palm sized serving of cheese grated (Did you actually weigh it? A palm size portion of cheese is more likely to be 6 syns that 1 syn)on top (prob a syn cos I had cheese on toast at lunch)

Tuesday

Lunch cheese salad on whole meal (allowance) - Did you weigh your HEB & HEA?. Pineapple. Strawberries. Grapes.

Fat and sugar free actimel type drink (tescos own) Syns)

2 x Chicken breast, teaspoon of garlic soft cheese (Syns) in middle of each, wrapped in bacon (no fat). Tons and tons of salad, 6 potato wedges (slimming world recipe)

I can't think of anything else - oh yeah had pork roast today but that's all I've had (cept my daily intake of apx ten Ton of fruit haha) - Try swapping some of your fruit for raw veggies like carrots

At a very basic level, you aren't really following the plan hun. YOu need 1/3rd superfree (sweet corn and peas are not superfree remember) and you need to weigh your healthy extras. You can't just guess on the syn values of stuff either. Especially when you are at a relatively low weight.

Thanks for looking at the diary. I'm definitely getting back to group ASAP lol. I need to re-learn everything :(. Thank you again, your input has been really helpful xx

Back