Help : Does anyone make their own syn free or low syn yogurt

cat yoyo greaves

Gold Member
ok so i looked at my shopping bill and spend a fortune on yogurts so started googling and found out its actually v easy to make and alot cheaper so before i started making i was going to see if i could find a syn free recipe

PLEASE HELP
x

If you get Brooklea 0% fat free yogurt from ALDI it is just 55-59p for 500gm
Also fat free Greek yogurt from TESCO £1 for 500gm compared to Total 0% £2.39-£2.79
The above are all SYN free and cheap!!
I have made yogurt myself in the past but to be honest I found it more trouble than it's worth especially at the above prices
OK Mullerlight can be expensive but they are on offer in one of the main 3 supermarkets nearly each week my last offer was 12 from Morrisons 13 days ago they were 3 for a pound so I had 12
I was adviced when I joined this forum to look on the web which SMkt had them on offer as the offers move from one to another like Dominoes !!
I never buy them at 60p each! It's a rip off!
But do look into it before buying a yogurt maker to see if you can get an easy SYN free recipe I know that you have to have a live culture to start and from there the main thing is maintaining the stable optimum temperature is the main thing but it tends to deteriorate quickly!
SOO SORRY if I have put you off but to me their a waste of money as you can make yogurt if you really want without one so why pay

bc201 said:
If you get Brooklea 0% fat free yogurt from ALDI it is just 55-59p for 500gm
Also fat free Greek yogurt from TESCO £1 for 500gm compared to Total 0% £2.39-£2.79
The above are all SYN free and cheap!!
I have made yogurt myself in the past but to be honest I found it more trouble than it's worth especially at the above prices
OK Mullerlight can be expensive but they are on offer in one of the main 3 supermarkets nearly each week my last offer was 12 from Morrisons 13 days ago they were 3 for a pound so I had 12
I was adviced when I joined this forum to look on the web which SMkt had them on offer as the offers move from one to another like Dominoes !!
I never buy them at 60p each! It's a rip off!
But do look into it before buying a yogurt maker to see if you can get an easy SYN free recipe I know that you have to have a live culture to start and from there the main thing is maintaining the stable optimum temperature is the main thing but it tends to deteriorate quickly!
SOO SORRY if I have put you off but to me their a waste of money as you can make yogurt if you really want without one so why pay

I do buy brooklea ff yog 6 tubs a week I go through plus other yogs I think my prob is I use total in cooking because its thick I have tried making yog in my slowcooker but it didn't quite work I actually really want to make it as I love cooking and experimenting plus the health benefits of pro biotic there is a fat free starter I could use and use skimmed milk but don't know what syns would be ? Really struggled finding info other than the easiyo system with sachets but they are same price as shopbought so don't see point

Hi I have a yogurt maker from lakeland and it's foolproof. I use either uht skimmed milk or I boil up skimmed milk powder let it cool to room temperature. All the instructions come with it. I just add sweetner and flavour essence. I don't sin it as it has the same ingredients as fat free yogurt. But saying that I don't take milk and only have a couple of bowls a day at most.

fairybelly said:
Hi I have a yogurt maker from lakeland and it's foolproof. I use either uht skimmed milk or I boil up skimmed milk powder let it cool to room temperature. All the instructions come with it. I just add sweetner and flavour essence. I don't sin it as it has the same ingredients as fat free yogurt. But saying that I don't take milk and only have a couple of bowls a day at most.

Thankyou soooooo much buying one tonight :)

fairybelly said:

I LOVE MY LAKELAND YOG MAKER ....I've strained some and made yogurt cheese which tastes like Philly too

If you warm up any milk and than add a tablespoon of plain yoghurt to it, wrap it up in blankets and keep warm overnight - you will make yoghurt, no need to buy starters. the lakeland yoghurt maker is a pot that keeps milk warm, so you can just put your milk in, drop some yoghurt in and then wait. It tends to come out similar to the one you used, so if you like Onken you can get one almost like it (well, using milk with less fat will make it more sour than the creamy full fat versions). Good luck.

I raised the question of syns in my group once , but quickly realised that the consultant had no idea yoghurt was made from proper milk, so she kept saying to me I needed to use it as my hea. Crazy, because if I bought it like that I would be free. so I left my yoghurt maker in the cupboard and can't even tell if they do a 0% milk?

Constance1 said:
If you warm up any milk and than add a tablespoon of plain yoghurt to it, wrap it up in blankets and keep warm overnight - you will make yoghurt, no need to buy starters. the lakeland yoghurt maker is a pot that keeps milk warm, so you can just put your milk in, drop some yoghurt in and then wait. It tends to come out similar to the one you used, so if you like Onken you can get one almost like it (well, using milk with less fat will make it more sour than the creamy full fat versions). Good luck.

I raised the question of syns in my group once , but quickly realised that the consultant had no idea yoghurt was made from proper milk, so she kept saying to me I needed to use it as my hea. Crazy, because if I bought it like that I would be free. so I left my yoghurt maker in the cupboard and can't even tell if they do a 0% milk?

I put all the nutritional info for the milk into syns calc and selected yogurt as my free food allowance and it came out syn free I use semi skimmed milk 2 tbsp skimmed milk powder and my previous yog as a starter ..... It's fab and syn free

Hi Cat

I have checked with syns hotline and the syn free starter yoghurt you are putting in is only a small amount so shouldnt be put in as the free food. The syns calculator with uht skimmed milk then works out at 19 syns for the amount made. so this would be more with semi skimmed.

Back