Help! Ketosis/Atkins Edge is not happening!

EatPrayLove

Can anyone explain why it takes so long to get into a ketogenic state? I started checking from day 3 of induction to see if I was in ketosis and on day 6 still nothing.

Having done CD and Exante, I'm usually in ketosis by day 4/5 but one those diets I'm consuming more carbs?! It doesn't make much sense!

I've not cheated, eaten healthily with lots of allowed veggies and even managed to stick with my cheese allowance most days. I also seem to be gaining weight this time round...I'm at a loss really.

Keto sticks aren't necessarily reliable. You can be in ketosis but not excreting ketones in urine as body may use efficiently so doesn't show. More importantly are other symptoms - smelly breath, smelly wee, low appetite, no cravings etc

If you really think you are not in ketosis, suggest a very close look at food - sometimes something sneaks in
If gaining - any hormonal or totm issues?
Else look for stallers - cream/cheese, sfree goodies, etc

Are you tracking on mfp or doing food diary?

I tried the food diary but on mfp it gets too confusing with the net carbs especially when some are added by American users and others by UK so I never get a clear picture of what my real net carbs are and I end up sepnding ages looking at numbers which is not the point of Atkins!

Tried to write it all down but again its time! Seems like a cop out I know but I have an extremely stresful job and lengthy commute and I just cannot be asked to do anymore work! I'm already reading books, and measuring stuff and counting carbs, and watching water etc....I just want to get on with it.

Weight gain could be stress.

I'll just bite the bullet and follow the 2 week induction plan in my book and see how I get on....it's probably the cheese.

As for ketosis really have no idea why it works one with a higher carb diet and another way with a significantly lower carb diet....confused.com

You can be in ketosis either
Low cal - and then carbs can be higher
Low carb - and then cals can be higher!

However you do it i really recommend writing down what you eat (even if you dont work out carbs). It will let you review and start to see patterns - i often find stuff sneaks in here and there if i dont pay attention
Good luck

Hi, I use the Atkins app to count my carbs, fat and protein n find it really useful and dead easy to use!! I haven't heard anyone here using it!! I am not sure why this is and maybe someone is going to tell me it's rubbish!! But it has worked for us!! I looked a MFP but it was too complex, I don't have the time to work it all out!! It may be useful to have a look at the Atkins app :) x

I have the Atkins App but it tends to be all American based, hence why I don't use it as the net carbs etc etc... MFP has lots of UK brands if like when you put cream cheese Tesco it usually brings them up...

Hasn't caused me a problem?

I cut down on cream n cheese last week, I'm on week 10 almost, and still doing induction, Mondays WI was 6lb off...a total now of 17lbs since just before Xmas.. I don't bother with Keto sticks, never have after hearing so many stories about how unreliable they are, I just go by appetite, I know I'm in the big K because I can't bare the thought of eating anything between breakfast and tea and have been having to force a snack in!

Just keep nibbling, graze rather than full meals, it'll happen soon enough x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I use the fatsecret app - you can change the columns to show net carbs, fat & protein and best of all - its for the UK Xx

Just looked at fat secret app, it looks great!!! Just been looking thru all the foods!!! Wow!!! Is it really accurate?? It says strawberry chewits, 1 sweet 0grams but a whole pack 25grams carbs!!! How can that be?? N brewers fayre beef lasagne 0grams carbs!!! Something not adding up!!! :)

It sounds like dairy foods are the problem here, they stall me too and i have to eat way less than the allowed amounts in order to be OK. I can get away with hard cheeses (cheddar mostly) but have to stay well clear of cream or yoghurts or milk of any kind (apart from the occasional splash in a cuppa tea, but that soon adds up too). Only then will i get a positive keto reading.

As someone said above, it doesn't necessarily mean you are not in ketosis just because you have a negative reading though, it could simply mean that you are very well hydrated and have dilute urine perhaps and so it's not showing, or that you are borderline keto, or that your body has been burning the ketones/releasing them via other means than your urine (ketones are released through your skin/perspiration and breathing too). Keep an eye out for other keto symptoms instead and/or consider cutting down on the diary stuff, especially the cream and stick to harder, lower carb cheeses.

Really interesting... I think I'm convinced my slowing down is caused by a combo of the 3 Cs - caffeine/coffee, cheese and cream... SO annoying but I think painfully true x

Coffee was a problem for me before - mainly because of the carbs in the cream but seem to remember that coffee can have an effect on blood sugar/insulin too. Am now having the morning coffee but with soya milk which helps a lot. The rest of the day is green tea as it helps with weight loss - allegedly!

Oh well done Soraya :)

You have to read carefully what your adding - there are usually 2/3 alternatives to each food - a lot are user added might not be accurate - it my fav of all the apps xx

Back