Help me sort out my wardrobe - Please!?

littlemiss

Silver Member
Hey!!

Every time I am in the process of losing weight, I don't buy any clothes (at all) because A) I dont want to spend money on clothes that wont fit for long and B) I hate shopping and when I see the actual clothes size that I am it sends me bingeing.

I make do with my bags & bags of clothes that dont fit. I either wear baggy bigger sized stuff, or smaller too tight stuff. Only buying if absolutely necessary - like new work trousers, ect.

Just now I have that I can wear -

- 1 pair of black work trousers
- 2 pairs of joggies for house only (stained)
- 6 tops suitable for daytime
- 1 black cardi
- 4 jumpers for house only.

I'm being deadly serious - I only have 1 pair of trousers that I can wear out. That means, to the corner shop, shopping, work, basically everything. That list is including everything thats available from my bags of old stuff.

So - basically I need a whole new wardrobe. BUT I also want to lose weight. What do I do?

How many outfits should I have - how many tops/pairs of trousers ect.

And also - how do I go about buying new stuff. I cant afford to splash out on loads at the once, so was thinking of either saving £5 a week or putting £5 a week onto a primark voucher or something?? So that i'm not tempted to spend the money elsewhere?

Any ideas welcome!

:)

Some charity shops have brand name/designer gear still with the labels on at a fraction of the cost. Asda do plain black good quality trousers for £6 if you need new trousers and dont want to spend much. Also Asda have a quick turn around with their clothes so usually put a massive sale on about the 3rd week of every month or just before payday you could pick up some new tops for 2-3 quid each.

Primark have some really nice 'on trend' bits in for reasonable prices. During my weight loss i refused to buy any expensive items like jeans-instead i got staples like this from Tu-Sainsburys or F&F-Tesco to last me through my weightloss and dress size changes.

littlemiss said:
Hey!!

Every time I am in the process of losing weight, I don't buy any clothes (at all) because A) I dont want to spend money on clothes that wont fit for long and B) I hate shopping and when I see the actual clothes size that I am it sends me bingeing.

I make do with my bags & bags of clothes that dont fit. I either wear baggy bigger sized stuff, or smaller too tight stuff. Only buying if absolutely necessary - like new work trousers, ect.

Just now I have that I can wear -

- 1 pair of black work trousers
- 2 pairs of joggies for house only (stained)
- 6 tops suitable for daytime
- 1 black cardi
- 4 jumpers for house only.

I'm being deadly serious - I only have 1 pair of trousers that I can wear out. That means, to the corner shop, shopping, work, basically everything. That list is including everything thats available from my bags of old stuff.

So - basically I need a whole new wardrobe. BUT I also want to lose weight. What do I do?

How many outfits should I have - how many tops/pairs of trousers ect.

And also - how do I go about buying new stuff. I cant afford to splash out on loads at the once, so was thinking of either saving £5 a week or putting £5 a week onto a primark voucher or something?? So that i'm not tempted to spend the money elsewhere?

Any ideas welcome!

Hiya! Your wardrobe sounds almost identical to mine! Like you I don't want to buy a lot of clothes until I've finished shrinking. I've only bought a few pairs of work trousers, which are soon too big, a couple of pairs of jeans, and a couple of jumpers in the last year and a half, lol. I do have some smaller clothes in my wardrobe I keep digging out occasionally, but mostly wear the same few things all the time. I'd say just buy a few things, like maybe a pair of jeans and a jumper, and save any major wardrobe re-stocking until you're at target. As you say, maybe put a bit aside into a clothes fund that you can look forward to spending! xx

It's worth having 2 pairs of trousers that you can swap and clean as well as 3 pretty tops. Then as suggested pick up a few cheap pretty things in each size as you go down. It's a great treat as you lose weight - you will start to notice and feel good about each step too:). Just remember to get rid of everything too big as soon as poss - no back sliding! Just keep one large pair of trousers - i love seeing how different i am. Good luck!

Backing up the charity shops. They are fun to rifle through and you never know what you can find.

As I have changed from a 22 to a 16 in a year I would have spent far too much on clothes (I am a student) so charity shops have been life savers. It's important to have well-fitting staples like jumpers/cardigans, and it is easy to keep the bigger ones. But believe me, taking a bag of your old clothes in and coming out with some smaller bargains is a fabulous way to spend an hour-- and you are helping charities at the same time!

Thanks everyone!

Some great tips!

The swapping thread looks great, but my big stuff is in the loft and goodness when OH will bring it down.

I have decided to spend a little bit of money every week £5 or something and if I dont use it i'm gonna put it on a voucher to spend at another time.

xxxxxxxx

This sounds like me haha!! I don't even own one pair if trousers!!! Only leggings most of which have holes/bleach stains/rips etc. selling myself ain't I ;)

I'd like to imagine ill take a sudden interest in looking better when I lose weight but I doubt it! I like a bargain and I ain't cut of brush me hair for nearly 10 year now (dreadlocks - wonder hot much they weigh hmmm)...I shop in primani as I call it, or charity shops :) best thing I did was get a seeing machine though and modify/make my pen stuff :)

Saving vouchers/ on a store card is a good idea - £5 don't sound like much but in 2 moths that's £40 - pretty much a trolley full in primark!!

Thanks!!

Uch I really dont think I like primark that much. I need to get involved with the charity shops but theres none around here (I live just on the outskirts of a city centre) its all just standard shops. I've been looking on ebay but the stuff just looks so dull. Maybe its coz big stuff is dull...I duno.

Life is busy for me but there's no excuse, I need to sort things out & start thinking about myself. I've had my hair in pigtails for days now and haven't brushed them or anything, I just slob about when I have nothing to do.

Im exactly the same - I dont want to buy too much at the size I am. Luckily I have a few bits in every size down - and loads in the size I want to be (8).

That sounds like my problem too.... I have one top that i feel comfortable in wearing outside... A few months ago i lost a bit of weight and bought a few tops/dresses, tight (size 16 jeggings) jeans, a jumper, leather jacket and thought itd do me for uni.... Now none of it fits as i put a stone and a half on since... But i refuse to buy clothes at the size i am... This has been about 4years ive been putting it on and taking it off though...

I went through my walk in wardrobe (sounds great but its a hoarders nightmare - all that room to hoarde in!!) and have acutally bagged up stuff for the charity shop...there is some stuff I'd love to fit into again, but i'm not sure if i will as when i was mega thin i was quite ill (about 10 stone) but i might get there one day...I'm going to put all of this stuff which is well out of reach in one of those hoover bag thingys and hide it away. I'll get it out when Ive lost another few stone and look back through it. I never throw clothes away as i have such a fussy taste in them that when i find something, i wanna keep it even if it doesnt fit. I even buy leggings in the wrong sizes in the sale in case i fit into them :/

Now my cupboard looks bare BUT these are the clothes that fit me...3 stretchy dresses (the same, but different colours haha!) about 6 pairs of leggings (at least half are manky/got holes), and some tops/cardis to go over the top. its made me realise that i need to lose weight!!

Good luck everyone and soon we will be smaller and can finally fit into old clothes or even just find it easier to buy new ones :)

Back