Help - need to find a low carb sunday roast

LipoLisa

No longer a redhead though!
Hi everyone,

I've been on a low cal low carb diet for a few weeks now and it is going well. I'd be happy to stick with this but do have a rather momentus occassion coming up. As a lone parent my only son is leaving home (aged 18) to try and start a new life in Devon. He's going with my support and blessing (makes me feel sick inside when I do think about it though - but hey what's a Mum supposed to do!). Anyhow, I digress...

I've been trying to recapture some of the fun things we used to do, but he's not interested in 'driving to the moors!' going the 'the fair' blah blah blah. But last night I asked if he'd like a roast dinner on Sunday as its our last proper weekend together. Oh yeah Mum - that'd be great. My heart leapt!

So... I need my plate to look fairly normal but for me still lower in carbs. I'll pile the roast tatties and yorkshire puds onto him! Any ideas for a low carb beef or lamb roast dinner please.

Searching websites I keep coming up with U.S versions of pot roast which isn't the same thing.

Please help if you can - all suggestions welcome. Lisa

Exactly the same as a normal roast dinner!

Roast beef
Cabbage
Asparagus
Leeks
Broccoli

Just no parsnips/ potatoes and make your gravy from the pan juices rather than oxo.

As a potato substitute I highly recommend roast celeriac. Get about 100-150g per portion, cut into chips or wedges, roll in oil or add some butter and a touch of salt, garlic powder if you want, and roast for 20 mins or so. Like a cross between potato and parsnip.

I gave Sunday dinner every week just like the above.

Exactly the same as a normal roast dinner!

Roast beef
Cabbage
Asparagus
Leeks
Broccoli

Just no parsnips/ potatoes and make your gravy from the pan juices rather than oxo.

As a potato substitute I highly recommend roast celeriac. Get about 100-150g per portion, cut into chips or wedges, roll in oil or add some butter and a touch of salt, garlic powder if you want, and roast for 20 mins or so. Like a cross between potato and parsnip.

I gave Sunday dinner every week just like the above.

Thanks for that Moonlight - I'd always wondered what this celeriac vegetable was like. Had it completely in place of roast potatoes (my lad had a lovely portion though) and I really enjoyed it. I had cabbage, leeks, carrots, celeriac, lamb, and gravy - measured it all out and checked all the nutrition contained and I was still carb low enough to stay in ketosis! Winner!

Sounds great! I have this pretty much every week as a Sunday lunch and don't stall - the celeriac is a wonderful potato substitute, I don't feel I'm missing out at all. I also make celeriac 'chips' once or twice a week. Great with mayo. I think I'm a celeriac convert for life now.

they are not the same as potatoes by any means but i used to have roast turnips when the family had their potatoes at first i felt a bit cheated but as the weeks went by i started to look forward to them and eventually hated the thought of eating potatoes ... i also chip them and they are really nice

Back