Help! Switching from CD to atkins style (no induction cause I'm in ketosis already).

sueontherock

Hello people!

CD has been great (lost 19lbs over 3 weeks) but it's time to give my body what it needs! Anyone any advice about how to make the change over to proper food without gaining weight? I should have lost 3lbs this week based on my calorie intake but haven't lost a thing. :confused:

Sticking to 40g net carbs, 90g protein minimum, and keeping the fat as low as possible is my aim. Will it work?

Any advice gratefully received.

Ta

Hey there. Can't really answer as I am aiming to do the same when my time comes to switch to Atkins but I just wanted to say that while I figured the same quantities as you at the beginning, I am now leaning towards doing the induction properly even if it means gaining some back as the more I read the more it seems to suggest that it's the period where the body understands there will be fat to be burned now and no carbs.

Does that make sense even? Anyhow, I'll be watching you like a hawk, it's not till June that I will be making the switch (need another 12 weeks of SS on CD to shift more).

Hi both of you. Welcome to the Atkins board.

Read Jim's sticky at the top of the board and that will help you.

My understanding is that trying to do low fat with low carb won't work, as you won't be getting enough energy for your body. It's really best to follow induction or you will be danger of having the wrong balance and your body could go into starvation mode and hang onto the body fat.

Hey there. Can't really answer as I am aiming to do the same when my time comes to switch to Atkins but I just wanted to say that while I figured the same quantities as you at the beginning, I am now leaning towards doing the induction properly even if it means gaining some back as the more I read the more it seems to suggest that it's the period where the body understands there will be fat to be burned now and no carbs.

Does that make sense even? Anyhow, I'll be watching you like a hawk, it's not till June that I will be making the switch (need another 12 weeks of SS on CD to shift more).
hey where in sweden are you ??

Hi both of you. Welcome to the Atkins board.

Read Jim's sticky at the top of the board and that will help you.

My understanding is that trying to do low fat with low carb won't work, as you won't be getting enough energy for your body. It's really best to follow induction or you will be danger of having the wrong balance and your body could go into starvation mode and hang onto the body fat.

Thank you everyone.

It only stands to reason that it would not be the greatest of nutritional choices. I'm slowly starting to get to grips with the fact that I will probably put on quite a bunch in June when I switch to Atkins but the way I figure it:

A. I'd rather do it properly, through and through and not worry that the reason why things are progressing badly is the way I have experimented with awkward combinations;
B. I'll be at an okay weight then, CD would have done its bit by then -both shifted a LOT fast and given me the break from food I needed to learn and gain perspective-
C. Long term, it is definitely the way to go for me.

You might not put much on at all miss ama, there are others who have been pleasantly surprised on switching.

Thank you Jim for the kind words. Guess we'll see. All I'm saying is that I think I am starting to be well prepared for gaining as well. Which speaks volumes about how favorably I see Atkins.

Sueontherock - something in the title of the thread caught my eye. IAFAIK, people on CD are only ever in mild ketosis, 50-carb-a-day-mild:) Atkins induces far deeper of levels of ketosis for evident reasons.

yes, big difference between 50 and 20 carbs a day. I'm on maint and I'd be surprised if I was on much more than 50 carbs a day. I'm certainly not in ketosis.

I switched from LL to Atkins recently. I didn't do induction for the same reason of already being in ketosis.

I didn't gain weight in the switch, in fact my weight loss was kickstarted within 2 days of switching.

However, I've now decided that to get my head into the Atkins "zone", I do in fact need to do induction so I'm doing that now. I don't need it physically and I did Atkins once before so I know my theory but I've found in the last few weeks that I need to do it for psychological reasons. Maybe it's the only way I can underline to my subconscious what's going on.

Anyway, that ramble was really just to say, don't rule out induction without thinking about it first.

Back