HELP! Tips needed!

krupskaya

Gold Member
Hi all, I've been put on new antidepressants that cause weight gain. My mouth is constantly salivating at the thought of food, it's awful. I'm eating huge amounts of fruit and veg but I'm scared that at this rate I'm going to put on all I've lost. Although I'm eating low cal foods and it's all superfree it still all adds up obviously and I'm eating loads, it's awful! Help!

While some people gain weight after starting an antidepressant, the antidepressant isn't always a direct cause. There are many factors that can work together to contribute to weight gain during antidepressant therapy. For example:

• Overeating as a result of depression can cause weight gain.
  • Some people lose weight as part of their depression. In turn, an improved appetite associated with improved mood may result in increased weight.
  • Adults generally tend to gain weight each year, regardless of the medications they take. Getting regular exercise and watching what you eat will help you maintain a healthy weight whether you take an antidepressant or not.
  • Im sure once you get 'used' to the drugs, your increased appetite may settle down. But just carry on sticking to plan & I hope you start to feel better soon

I started anti depressants over 2 years ago and gained 3 stone but I was eating rubbish just relax and remember if ya do gain weight ya can lose it again dont panic it will only make your depression worse plus side my boobs went from a b to a d lol keep eating healthy as best you can but keep calm and do not stop tablets without consulting your doctor 1st hope you feel better soon xx

being put on anti-d is a positive step. It means you have accepted that you are not in a great place....i admire that you met it head on. Those tablets should be able to help lift you up, thats why they are called Anti Depressants. And eating lots of free food will lift you higher. Use your positive acceptance of this medication to fight the need to go to a dark place and make bad choices......you can do it! I believe you can xx

Just keep eating your superfree if your really worried perhaps fill half your plate with superfree instead of a third. I found exercise really helped my depression.

Thanks for all your input guys - it's really appreciated. I'm going to keep shovelling the superfree down and cross my fingers that when I settle in on my meds things calm down a bit. xxx

Back