help with constipation!!

busybee123

i really really struggle going to the loo!

since starting ww after joining from sw i am finding it even worse!:cry::cry:

i for one certainly dont want to go down the laxative route, so im looking for alternative food ideas/tips please!

thanks.

hey busybee..i have had this problem quite often in the past. I now take two senna every night before bed but i would advise you to drink as much water as you can and get some fresh melon. It works wonders for me!!! and i get severe constipation..if you drink your water tepid it is supposed to be better again and someone once told me brown sugar in your water works but i have never tried it. hope this helps a bit. nothing as bad, you have my sympathies..

marylou said:
hey busybee..i have had this problem quite often in the past. I now take two senna every night before bed but i would advise you to drink as much water as you can and get some fresh melon. It works wonders for me!!! and i get severe constipation..if you drink your water tepid it is supposed to be better again and someone once told me brown sugar in your water works but i have never tried it. hope this helps a bit. nothing as bad, you have my sympathies..

Thanks I will try your suggestions.

I've got it bad apparently! Impacted!! Sorry!

Doc gave me lactulose which made me gag!!

Thanks I will try your suggestions.

I've got it bad apparently! Impacted!! Sorry!

Doc gave me lactulose which made me gag!!

i have had an impacted bowel before as well, twice actually. it's terrible. have you asked for an enema? it's the only thing that helped me the first time. lactulose doesn't really help with the impaction, you will more than likely need a strong laxative. don't worry bout taking them, they will help and anything that helps is good!!! this is why i now take the senna nightly, i do not want to go back to that it's an awful thing. water also helps but i am useless at drinking it myself!!! i have to force myself to drink water. :sigh: i hope you feel better this morning. x

I really feel for you, constipation is not nice at all. Seems to run in my family, only the female side though which is odd. Drink plenty if you take lactulose, drink plenty of water anyway. When on the loo try rocking back and forth while trying to go and put your feet up on a stool to raise them, hope your feeling better soon.

IMPACTED is very painful and I feel for you. I have not had a problem since starting propoints but I make sure to eat a lot of vegetables and oranges rather than orange juice. You need to try and adjust your diet so that you are not reliant on laxatives as long term that is not a good idea. You can use something like pysilllium seed which is a bulk producer and softens things a bit but you will probably need something a bit strong if you are impacted and an enema might sort you out quicly. Good luck x

Thanks for all your advice.
I've bought some senna. Will give it a go tonight. Also bought some dried apricots!!

I'm doing good if I go twice a week that's how bad it seems to be now.

I remember going just once in a fortnight once!! Yikes!

My daughter suffers with severe constipation as a side effect of her medical condition and we attend constipation or 'demi' clinic.

She takes a medication called Movicol which you might want to ask your doctor for. It doesn't create dependence but works like lactose to hold water on your stool in the large intestine to make them softer and easier to pass.

Fibre is a big thing and makes a huge difference for my dd. High fibre breakfast cereals, granary or wholemeal/brown breads, pasta, rice, lots if fresh veg and fruit. I have a recipe for some gorgeous hi fibre branapple muffins with prunes that I make for dd, I will try to message you later, I'm in my phone and can't copy and paste to save my damn life!

Lots and lots of fluids to help keep your stools soft, and lots of gentle exercise. Also sounds daft but try sitting and gently rocking on the loo for five to ten minutes after each meal, eating kickstarts the action of peristalsis in the bowel and it may help to be 'in the position',so to speak, when that is going on!

Movicol works best for me- when taking meds I need it. Recommend it with diet lemonade tho- not great with water x

I tend to get the opposite problem these days (frustratingly!), but back when I was going through my vegetarian phase a few years back constipation was a very major problem for me. I forget the name of it, but I was recommended something in Holland and Barrett to help with it...it's a fibre power that you mix in with either a hot or cold drink. It was completely tasteless, and was fine mixed with anything so long as it wasn't fizzy. Really did the trick.

i have bowel adhesions through many surgeries and end up in agony when constipated. i've been through, fibregel, lactulose, movicol (worked but got headaches) and finally to macrogol.
i asked doc is there any long term problems with staying on them and he said no because it just hydrates the faeces and makes it easier to pass. i have to have 3 a day but it's worth it.
i'm rarely constipated now :)

Thanks for your advice. Will see how I go on with different things then.
All else fails then it's back to the gp!!

Have you tried prune juice?? I use it for my little boy but dilute it with water for him, hope it gets better soon x

Back