HELP...work dinner tonite

eyekandi

Hi all, my work has just imposed a mandatory dinner on the team in a spanish restaurant.
we will go straight from work and so i cant say i am not well or anything like that.

What should i do.. they all know i am on a diet but, not an extreme diet.

If i go, i cant just drink water... what should i do.. I am struggling this week as it stands, i really dont want to fall of the wagon

HELP

I hope someone comes along who can answer this because I don't really have any ideas, I'm just curious as to how they can say a dinner is mandatory - is it out of work hours?

Out of work hours, but its to replace a team meeting!

looked at the menu, and there is nothing that i could order!
I will be starved by then as well cos i only brought my lunch sachet!!!

a. You've got a long standing engagement that you can't possibly change at such late notice.
b. Go to the dinner and fake a stomach bug. Only drink water. It'll be hell being surrounded by food but hey ho we can't always avoid difficult situations. You just gotta be strong if you go to the dinner.
c. Fake an emergency. Get someone to call the restaurant wanting to speak to you. (it's much more public than a call to your mobile!) Take the call and then make your excuses and leave before the food is served!

Option b would be my preferred option. Treat it as a toughening up exercise cos you have to deal with the situations where all around you are feasting on this diet I'm afraid.

Good luck!!!

Thanks Scazmantastic!!!

I have chosen option B, i will just get involved in the conversation, and really try and be tough!
You are right at the end of the day, i will have to learn to say no to temptation, its one night but will dictate the next few months of my diet. They may think i am a freak with an eating disorder..but in a few months i will be a skinny freak

Roll on weigh in on Saturday!!

SPANKS guys

Gud luck with tonite, glad you've come up with a solution. I was at a function on Sunday that I had to go to, I also said I had a stomach bug and couldn't eat but it was pretty tough sitting at a table where every1 is eating! Once you've done it once tho it'll be much easier! Gud luck again!

Its a tough decision but well done. Its hard to resist temptation at first, but its better late than never to start. Keep water nearby at all times and if you are tempted remember why you are doing LT in the first place. Thats what got me through it! Let us know how you get on and BEST OF LUCK!!!

Good luck hun, hope it goes well tonight. I'm meant to be off to Ascot on Friday with a group of friends - none of whom know I am doing LT! As they aren't that close, I don't feel like sharing with the group either! Am very tempted to cancel and just become a hermit for the duration of LT. Let us know how you get on. x

Good luck tonight. It is possible to be with others who are eating without doing so yourself. Just keep thinking about why you are doing this and how gutted you'll be if you don't lose this week.

I managed to be at a bbq on Sunday with everyone stuffing their faces around me and not eat. To be honest, I really didn't find it that difficult! Before LT I would have had a plate piled high and finish it off with half a cheesecake!!!! I managed to knock back about 2 litres of water instead.

SarahC, don't miss out on Ascot just coz you are on LT. Go along and just sip water. There has been lots of advice on the forum to help you not eat in these situations and it would be a shame to miss out. You deserve to have a treat and enjoy yourself.

x

Guys... thanks for all the advice yesterday, i went to the dinner, and everyone now thinks i am anorexic. I nibbled on a piece of lettuce for 20 mins, and then said i felt sick.. they ordered fish for me but i didnt touch it just played a round with it. it was a small group of 5 at the table and would have noticed if ihad nothing in front of me!

But i wont come out ketosis on a bit of lettuce will i????

Sorry to whinge but this is something I feel strongly about :(

I hate waste & to order food just to throw it away when the planet's resources are on a knife-edge as well as the amount of people out there literally starving to death really really grates :(

Glad you survived the meal though ;)

Well lucky i have the human dustbin on my team that ate the lot! when i said i felt sick!

I know what you mean tho doody!! i should kno better

Well lucky i have the human dustbin on my team that ate the lot! when i said i felt sick!

Ha - I know one of those ;) Hell I used to BE one of those :p

Sorry to whinge but this is something I feel strongly about :(

I hate waste & to order food just to throw it away when the planet's resources are on a knife-edge as well as the amount of people out there literally starving to death really really grates :(
;)

Whilst I sympathise with your sentiment I must dispute the premise of your argument.

There is more than enough food to feed the world many times over. There is no global food shortage and nor is there likely to be in the foreseeable future.

However, there are real issues with the equitable distribution of the world's resources. 'We' in the northern hemisphere horde resources at the expense of those living in the developing world and thus cause hunger and poverty by our (in)actions.

I will now reign myself in before I embark on an essay about global injustice, the legacy of colonialisation and the evils of unbridled capitalism!!!

Whilst I sympathise with your sentiment I must dispute the premise of your argument.

There is more than enough food to feed the world many times over. There is no global food shortage and nor is there likely to be in the foreseeable future.

However, there are real issues with the equitable distribution of the world's resources. 'We' in the northern hemisphere horde resources at the expense of those living in the developing world and thus cause hunger and poverty by our (in)actions.

I will now reign myself in before I embark on an essay about global injustice, the legacy of colonialisation and the evils of unbridled capitalism!!!

The crux of my point still remains pertinent... I hate to see food wasted when it could've been eaten by someone who needed it ;)

The crux of my point still remains pertinent... I hate to see food wasted when it could've been eaten by someone who needed it ;)

Your sentiment is admirable and your heart is certainly in the right place but....

It is not logistically possible to redistribute wasted food to those who have little to eat. It is, however, possible to redistribute resources to ensure a more just world where fewer people live in poverty and hunger. Moreover the people I would blame for wastages of food would be the the multinational fast food companies like McD's, KFC and BK. Their wastages are immoral and totally avoidable and on an entirely different scale to an individual leaving some chips on their plate I'm afraid.

Speaking as a fattie, I am wary of the the whole philosophy underpinning the idea of finishing all your food on your plate. A much better mentality is surely to only eat as much food as is necessary to fill your stomach. I have over indulged for far too many years and if I were to self analyse I would conclude that this is partly because as a child I was brainwashed into eating every morsel of food that was on my plate. The psychological repurcussions of this approach to food are harmful to say the least. I now accept that blaming others for my obesity is just an excuse and that I must be accountable for my own eating habits but it is hard to break with such an engrained mindset. It's a shame Freud isn't around to psych-analyse us fatties. I'm sure he'd attribute our food fixations as being linked with some sort of sexual repression or another!!! :rolleyes:

I think that eyekandi played a blinder in avoiding eating in a very difficult situation and I salute her will power and determination. :D

Your sentiment is admirable and your heart is certainly in the right place but....

It is not logistically possible to redistribute wasted food to those who have little to eat. It is, however, possible to redistribute resources to ensure a more just world where fewer people live in poverty and hunger. Moreover the people I would blame for wastages of food would be the the multinational fast food companies like McD's, KFC and BK. Their wastages are immoral and totally avoidable and on an entirely different scale to an individual leaving some chips on their plate I'm afraid.

Speaking as a fattie, I am wary of the the whole philosophy underpinning the idea of finishing all your food on your plate. A much better mentality is surely to only eat as much food as is necessary to fill your stomach. I have over indulged for far too many years and if I were to self analyse I would conclude that this is partly because as a child I was brainwashed into eating every morsel of food that was on my plate. The psychological repurcussions of this approach to food are harmful to say the least. I now accept that blaming others for my obesity is just an excuse and that I must be accountable for my own eating habits but it is hard to break with such an engrained mindset. It's a shame Freud isn't around to psych-analyse us fatties. I'm sure he'd attribute our food fixations as being linked with some sort of sexual repression or another!!! :rolleyes:

I think that eyekandi played a blinder in avoiding eating in a very difficult situation and I salute her will power and determination. :D

Don't want to needlessy go round this again & again but what I'm saying is don't order something you know you are not going to eat. Albeit that eyekandi's team did & therefore no waste :)

That is entirely different to feeling you HAVE to finish every single morsel on your plate even if you are full ;)

I also fully appreciate the short-comings of redistribution of waste food ;) In fact I didn't even mention it because that wasn't the point I was making.

Bottom line what I was trying to put across is that I wouldn't order food knowing I'm on a VLCD & then throw it away in the same way I wouldn't take a carrier bag for a single item when I have 2 perfectly capable hands :)

Having said all that (& back on topic !) - well done for Eyekandi for getting away with it ;)

I still say being upfront & honest about this diet is helpful in these situations but appreciate that it wouldn't work for all people.

I think it really is a difficult issue - I am going out on saturday night on a hen night and I was going to say that I am doing Lt but now I am not sure.... I dont know if i want to draw attention to myself... i cant not go to the meal as I dropped out of going to magaluf. I dont want to go to the meal and everyone wonder wtf i am doing there if im not going to eat or drink! I have already said im going to drive and that got loads of raised eyebrows...

It definitely is a hard one - all my friends have beautiful figures, none struggle with their weight. I hid myself away when I put on my last stone - so the weight I am now is the weight they all used to seeing me at, so they wont even notice that I have lost any weight. If I tell them I havent ate anything for a month and they dont really see a difference they will be thinking I have lost the plot! lol

I would have no issues ordering food and not eating it. The food is not going to help anyone else anyway, it will either be ate by someone else in the restuarant or it will be thrown out anyway.

I do however refuse to have a plastic bag in a shop if i can do without? lol

And scazman - I can totally relate to what you say about being forced to eat all the food on your plate when you were younger. I wasnt allowed to leave the table until I ate all my dinner ( i have memories of sitting at the table for hours after everyone had finished :(). My whole family eats at the speed of lightning as well! Meal times where a hoof it into ya session... very embarassing sometimes when im out on a date and i forget myself and my plate is almost empty and the guy is sitting with a full plate! lol

And buffets... well now dont get me started... if we went to a buffet we were expected to make it the biggest bargain session out...!!!! It would have been considered a waste to go to a pizza hut buffet and eat 2 slices of pizza... we would have aimed for 10 slices at least ;) lol

I would have no issues ordering food and not eating it. The food is not going to help anyone else anyway, it will either be ate by someone else in the restuarant or it will be thrown out anyway.

yeah but no but yeah but no but yeah.... ;)

What I'm saying is if you ordered a piece of fish or chicken or whatever knowing you were on VLCD & it would all be thrown away then why not NOT order it so that very same piece of fish or chicken or whatever can be eaten (& enjoyed) by the next person that orders ?

That way there is no waste, the restaurant (in theory) does not have to order that piece again & therefore another chicken or fish does not have to die for nowt

That's the way I see it anyway... :D

I KNOW you can't solve the worlds problems at a micro level but personal responsibility & everyone doing their bit certainly helps :)

Back