Hen Do Ideas

OpalLilyEats

Gold Member
I was hoping some of you lovely ladies out there might be able to help me with a little pickle I'm in. My best friend is getting married and as bridesmaids, myself and her sister are organising the hen do!

We are heading away for one night somewhere not too far away and she has given us strict instructions that she does not want anything at all that resembles a "you-know-what" - no straws, cakes, sweets, chocs - ANYTHING!

As for a theme, she has said she really wants to keep it classy so no "big fat gypsy hen do" type themes. She doesn't want t-shirts either. She referenced pictures of a hen do she'd seen recently where they had a "breakfast at tiffanys" theme and said that something like that would be ok.

We are having another smaller hen do for her aunts, cousins etc, and will be doing the black/white theme at it (guests in black, bride to be in white) so that's off the table for the big hen do.

I'm totally stumped! I'd still like to do something quite nice for her and a theme could be fun, but I want something that she'd obviously be really happy with.

Has anyone got any ideas? Have you been on any great hen dos that could provide some inspiration?

Thanks a mil for any help!! xx

Oh what a fab challenge!!!

So she likes classy things, perhaps you could dress up in 40s dress this is an era I find one of the most flattering for women's clothing, and go to afternoon tea followed by a trip to the theatre (rent a box).

How many will be on the hen do? Could you do a hot air balloon, I'm thinking it has to be something special but not silly money.

Me & OH are going to Dublin in September, just for lunch, we fly out in the morning & fly back the same day, perhaps you could do something like that, fly somewhere for lunch & then back, easyjet & ryanair do cheapish flights round Europe.

Ok I'll get my thinking cap on & see if I can come up with anything else, have fun :D

She is completely adamant that she doesn't want anything that she describes as "tacky"!

We know where we're heading, it's a town about 3 hours drive away. There's around 20-25 people going (quite big numbers!!) - we're organising a bus down that morning, doing some activities in the afternoon then getting dressed up and heading out that night for dinner and drinks/dancing. It's the going out part and the "theme" that we adopt that stumps me.

I don't want to do breakfast at tiffany's as she already mentioned it and the only other one I can think of is maybe like a great gatsby/flapper theme. I'd like to have a number of ideas though to run past the other bridesmaid when we meet in the next couple of weeks to discuss before communicating to the other hens.

I'd like it to feel really special for her :) xx

I like the gatsby idea. I went to a hen do that borrowed from Towie and we did "the only way is Brighton" so no dressing up as such and everyone just did big hair and glam clothes, big red lips etc etc. however that could be deemed as tacky. I think its down to the crowd.
Plus its a bit 2012
We did have willy straws though (not my idea!!)

I went on a hen do last weekend in Chester. We did a cocktail making class during the day which was brilliant fun and then went out in the evening in 90's fancy dress. A bit tacky but loads of fun!

I'm going to a really nice hen in September - we're staying in a posh self catering barn with a mobile beautician to have some treatments like nails done etc, then a cocktail making class followed by some games, buffet, relaxed drinking that sort of thing and we all have to wear something yellow (I wear a lot of 50s inspired pin-up clothing and am hunting for the perfect dress at the moment) :)

Love the Great Gatsby idea! I love that look. Similar to this, what about a "vintage" theme?
Vintage Hen Party Theme, Hen Party Vintage Theme, Vintage Hen Party Idea

I know you're already doing the black / white thing for the smaller hen do, but I like the sound of this black and bling theme. Really classy and easy enough for everyone to pull together - they can all find something they're comfortable wearing. Hen Party Black and Bling, Hen Night Black and Bling

What type of things is she into? I know you like your festivals Lil - is she a fan too? You could do a festival theme. I don't really see that as being tacky? Just fun.

Sorry to spam, but here are a few more themes that I came across and thought were quite nice and not "tacky"...

Tuxedo theme

Hello-Martine-McCutcheon--z.jpg

Everyone wearing something of the same colour. Pink in this case
url

A "ladies day" theme
HenParty-Ideas-2013-01.png

A Vintage theme
6a0120a65f64b9970c014e8a032726970d-580wi.jpg

You're not spamming at all - this is all amazingly helpful! Thank you all so much!

Keep any ideas coming :) Meeting the other BM next week to discuss so the more ideas, the better!!

One I thought of last night was her love for Olly Murs... So thought we could dress up like him maybe (braces, tight chinos etc) and create masks with her fiance's face on one side and Olly's on the other! xx

You're not spamming at all - this is all amazingly helpful! Thank you all so much!

Keep any ideas coming :) Meeting the other BM next week to discuss so the more ideas, the better!!

One I thought of last night was her love for Olly Murs... So thought we could dress up like him maybe (braces, tight chinos etc) and create masks with her fiance's face on one side and Olly's on the other! xx

LOVE the Olly Murs idea!! It's very unique and personal. Sounds like you have some great ideas! xx

My sister in law had afternoon tea at the Ritz in London which was fantastic we had a lovely day then at night we went out for cocktails.

Also you could do something like:
a ladies day out at the races
Spa day with lunch
Afternoon tea or champagne breakfast at a nice hotel
Lunch cruise
Theatre show with dinner
Wine tasting or chocolate making experience

There are some nice ideas here....
Gifts for Her | Gifts for Women & Gift Ideas for Ladies
Home Of Hen Party Ideas And Amazing Hen Weekends | Hen Heaven

Back