Here's to 2017

womble35

Hi everyone - happy new year to you all!

I made some significant lifestyle changes in 2016 and managed to lose around 15kgs in total over the course of the year. Most of those losses were made in the first 6 months, and I've been losing / regaining the same 5kgs since then. So, in 2017, I'm determined to carry on with the weight loss and am starting a new diary here to keep myself accountable, and hopefully break through this barrier I've been struggling with once and for all.

In 2016, I followed the Exante diet for 6 months. For those who don't know, it's an extreme low calorie diet, restricting you to just 600 calories a day. Great for the initial weight loss, but it really does suck for maintenance and so I'm determined not to resort to that again. I don't regret doing it, as it gave me the kick start I needed, but it's not a long term solution, and despite eating relatively healthily since, my body desperately wants to revert back to my original weight - something which I think happens all too often for those of us who drop too much weight too quickly. So instead, in 2017, the focus is on healthy and mindful eating. No fad diets this time, just being aware of what I am eating and making sure it is nutritious and in sensible quantities.

The bigger change I made last year was a return to fitness. I've become something of a fitness freak in fact. My weekly routine includes at the minimum: 2 personal training sessions, 1 zumba class and 2 body pump classes. I also try and fit in at least 2 runs a week and perhaps one other class (spin and body conditioning are some of my favourites). My fitness has improved immensely, and despite the scales not moving so much in the past 6 months, the way my clothes fit definitely has, and my body composition has also changed (I've constantly been dropping body fat and gaining lean muscle - in fact, I'm currently around 45% muscle mass, which is apparently quite impressive for a female). Fitness is definitely something I am going to continue with, the only change being that I am going to try and do a wider range of classes now that I am more confident I can keep up!

Anyway, the festive period has been a bit of a disaster - I've kept up with the regular gym visits, but I have been eating without any regard for what I've been putting in my mouth - not only have I eaten food full of sugar and bad fats, but also lots of it! I feel sluggish and bloated, so the turn of the year is definitely the right opportunity for turning a new leaf.

My goals for the year? To drop to a size 12/14 (currently I'm a 16/18) and to drop another 10kgs (and most importantly, to keep that extra weight off once it's gone!). I'm also trying to get pregnant, so those might be moving targets, but I think they are sensible ones and certainly doable.

I loved keeping a diary before, as it kept me accountable. Let's hope it has the same effect this time! Would love to hear tips / thoughts from anyone else on a similar journey so that we can keep each other inspired x

Thanks Cynicalgirl!

I love your minigoal of putting £1 away each time you swim. I might try that for each workout I do. So far today I've done 2 - a spin class and a body combat class. I've never tried body combat before and it was really good - really hard work! It was one of those instructors who keeps walking around the class and shouts at anyone who's not putting the effort in... definitely gave me the motivation to keep going :)

Food-wise, so far so good today. Had porridge with a banana for breakfast, and a Planet Organic vitality juice and protein bar for lunch (needed the protein after the workout). I have some left-over spaghetti bolognese at home for dinner tonight, that I'm going to have with spiralized courgette rather than spaghetti. I do find the evenings a struggle though. Once I've put my little one to bed, I tend to 'pick' and really struggle with portion sizes at dinner... that's where I'm going to have to become much more mindful of eating I think.

Righto, off to fill up on another litre of water to try and flush out all these bad toxins from the festive period.

Good luck hun xxx

Ok so it's been a mixed few days. First, I did my lower back in. Not badly, but enough to keep me out of the gym on Tuesday. Yesterday and today I did an hours PT session (each day), both of which were relatively gentle to avoid any further injury. Seems ok, so I'm going to go to my usual Zumba class tonight (although think I will be taking it a bit easy).

It's been crazy busy at work though and when my stress levels are high, I tend to want to overeat massively. Been trying to keep myself in check by drinking lots of water, but I did cave in yesterday and succumb to an afternoon biscuit break. Not the end of the world, but I wish I had more willpower.

Will be in the office until late tonight (well, until Zumba), so will hopefully be too tired by the time I get home to want to cook anything, so will aim to have some lean ham and a banana for dinner.

So managed to drop 1kg last week, which isn't massive, but it's a start. I've been an angel on the exercise front - working out for at least an hour a day and walking lots. But a devil with food... I'm wondering whether to try some hypnotherapy to help me with portion control and boredom eating. I've also decided to add an afternoon snack each day, so that I don't arrive home from work hungry in the evening and pick at everything I possibly can from the fridge. I've tried that the past few days and it seems to be helping.

Hey Womble, well done on your fitness! It's very inspiring :D And well done on the loss last week, that's brilliant!
The food will follow suit eventually, I guess what I learnt with VLCD's is, like you've pointed out, because the loss happens so quickly the body does go into a shock of sorts and tries to go back to its "normal" pre-loss state. If anything, the half-year of pretty much remaining the same has been helpful for the body to adjust, so don't view it as any sort of failure! You've built up your exercise regime, strength and kept the weight off. True long lasting losses can't be achieved (except in a few cases) through a crash diet like VLCD. After my initial big loss on LL - I regained nearly everything back, but over the years since then, I've dieted a bit and then maintained for a period and then gone back in to lose some more. My body doesn't yearn to be the higher weight anymore, it seems to think the present figure is normal, so nothing goes into overdrive. View it as a longterm project rather than something that can be done in a few months or even a year. It'll take many years of work and perseverance, not just in keeping it off and building up exercise, but to also work through the mental bit. ^.^

Hiya Womble great to read how active you are it takes such commitment and really inspires me to get going myself.
I do spend sometime round weight lifting women but taking photos, and many who have said to get to that last bit off and toned they had to go on to the heavier loose weights, not to bulk / build but to get to the deep core of the muscles that contour.
You seem so active to have any worry with any excess, but I know the feeling well of loosing quick and regaining the body goes into famine mode, I call it hibernation state and stocks up on fats as it doesn't know when its going to get any again.
Do you do a food diary, I started a bad food diary on here and it definitely showed me where I was going wrong ive added the link, its certainly an eye opener, so i'm going to start using it again now as I've been away 5 years.

https://www.minimins.com/threads/a-bad-food-diary-by-lookingforme.254623/#post-7956613

Last edited:
Do you do a food diary, I started a bad food diary on here and it definitely showed me where I was going wrong ive added the link, its certainly an eye opener, so i'm going to start using it again now as I've been away 5 years.

I try, but I really struggle to keep it up! I cook most meals from scratch, so the online apps are difficult to manage (unless you have the time to put in all the ingredients!), so I just try to keep a spreadsheet... at least that should show me where I'm going wrong!

I would definitely encourage you to get going on the fitness front - I started working out when I weighed 118KG, so it shows that anyone can (and should!) do it. It's honestly life changing, not only in terms of weight loss but also how you feel. Go for it!!!!

OK, so important update.... I'm PREGNANT!!! We've been trying since June, so am totally over the moon. I was wondering why I was feeling so tired this week (just no energy, and definitely not lifting the weight I usually do in the gym), so that would be why! I remember my last pregnancy - I was exhausted and suffered with sickness right from the start, so I hope this one isn't going to go the same way! At least last time I didn't gain weight during pregnancy (I actually lost 5KG, simply through cutting out the crap from my diet), so perhaps it won't be so bad to have a repeat of last time :)

I'm determined to keep it up at the gym - I spoke to my personal trainer this morning and he saw no reason not to, at least for the first 3 months. I've been in a strong routine for some time now, so it's not as if I'm going to be shocking my body or anything. In fact, since finding out yesterday, I've already completed 3 classes (2 body pump and 1 zumba class), so I know I can do it, even if I do feel like I just want to flop onto the floor and sleep.

I'm away with my husband this weekend for his birthday, so know I'm going to go a little off piste food-wise, but I'll try and keep myself in control and also hit the gym in the hotel while I'm away. The hotel has a lovely outdoor heated pool so it will be nice to use that.

Could not be a happier bunny going into this weekend :woohoo:

Congratulations Womble how wonderful, it's always nice to read a plan in action and beautiful rewards.
Your little one will certainly be a fit little bundle :D.
Thanks for the get up and go nudge, Last lose was with cycling. I lov my bike and my goal at the moment is 6-9 lb off so I can be comfortable on it, which should also kick in to the warmer weather.
I've had flu for 2 weeks most annoying but rest is essential to get on the bike.

I had a goal last year before my Mum was flooded out for a month ( I'm Mums carer so was hands on 24/7 at that time) my goal was to lift my own body wieght on monkey bars and some calisthenics. It amazes me so much.

I've a long journey of a year or more to go to get there but I'd feel very complete once there. :D

I hope you have a wonderful weekend away to recoup your enegys. How romantic too, I can here the serenading already ;) :boohoo:

Back