hi everyone i just started today can i have lime juice

:eek::eek: hi there i have alot of weight to loss i just started today can anyone tell me if i can add a squeeze of lemon or lime to a glass of water for flavour and am i aloud diet coke also i bought the wheat and rye atkins crackers dose anyone know how many i can have in a day ...............thanks

im on atkins phase 1

Hi!

I don't know the answers to your questions as I'm a newbie myself but wanted to say hi, welcome and I'm sure someone will be along shortly who can answer your questions! :) x

Hi :) I don't think u can add a dash of them because of the Citric acid, I may be wrong though as I've never looked into it.

I can't drink water I add a dash of
Robinsons sugar free and I've always been fine :)

I also have coke zero :D

It's not what's recommended but if u struggle with plain water it won't do u any harm :)

Not sure on the crackers I don't use Atkins products but I'm sure someone who does will confirm soon xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hi Linny and welcome :)

Lime juice - On induction, there is a "special foods category". Dr. Atkins says, "To add variety, each day you can also eat ten to twenty olives, half a small avocado, one ounce of sour cream, or three ounces of unsweetened heavy cream, as well as two to three tablespoons of lemon or lime juice. But be aware that these foods occasionally slow down weight loss in some people, and may need to be avoided in the first two weeks. If you seem to be losing slowly, moderate your intake of these foods."

Diet coke contains citric acid which can knock you out of ketosis, so its best avoided. Coke Zero contains malic acid which doesn't.

Atkins crackers - they are 3g carbs each so I wouldn't advise you have them on induction, you really need to try and get most of your 20g carbs from vegetables. It's really sad but most of the products available to buy with the Atkins name on them would make Dr Atkins turn in his grave. If you fancy something with a bit of crunch, try some pork scratchings - but check the carb content first :)

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Happy to help, hun, that's what we're all here for :)

Why not start up your own thread in the diary section? That's your space to talk about anything and everything you want - and it also gets kidnapped by others from time to time too :D

The first week on low carb can be challenging - it's hard to forgo caffeine if you're used to it, and about Day 3-5 a lot of people suffer from what is called the Atkins flu, where symptoms can range from a mild headache to feeling like you have full on flu coming on. But don't worry, it's just your body craving carbs - and because it's craving carbs it makes you feel ill so you give in and have them - but don't, it will pass in a day or two! Quite scary the hold carbs has on you, really! The best thing is to keep on plan, drink LOTS of water to flush the carbs out and have yummy chicken stock in hot water - don't know why but it really seems to help.

Susie's answer covered everything perfectly! Coke zero is preferable to diet coke - but if you're using lemon, lime or robinsons then you're having citric acid anyway. Just be aware if you're losing slower than you'd like that those items may be to blame.

Stay away from the Atkins crackers! Definitely don't have them in induction but in general Atkins products are best avoided as long as possible. If you're missing a crunch you can make cheese crackers - grate cheese into small piles and put on baking parchment - microwave until crisp

Or salami crisps, slices of salami grilled until they're crispy like frazzles.

Or flax seed crackers - mix flax seed with butter and a little egg white, press thinly onto baking parchment and pop in the oven.

It's always always best to go for food you've made yourself from natural ingredients.

Welcome and good luck!

Thanks guys this has really helped i have been having two cups of black coffee a day should i change to decafe im so pleased its only day 2 and i have lost 5 pounds i know that it is water but at least it is starting to happen x

Up to you about caffeine, really, the Atkins book says to give it up for the first two weeks because it can cause cravings - but if you think you have it under control, then no worries :)

Personally I NEED my builder's tea first thing! :D

I have decaf coffee first thing - it's my way of tricking the mind to think it's having real coffee......it works for me :)x

Back