Hi, newbie here doing the 8 hour window/thirder type of fasting. Anyone else?

thedream

Hi, newbie here :)

I have already introduced myself in the intro thread but didn't really go into my diet plan, so here goes...

I've tampered around with intermittent fasting from doing research online and decided to try the DD/UD. I found 500 calories too restricting and I became way to hunger on UD resulting in overeating. However, I wanted to persevere with it and purchased the IF diet book by Robert Skinner.

The book had 3 options of intermittent fasting, two sounded fairly similar, you consume 500 calories 2 days a week. The third however which is called the Thirder diet in the book and I've found it online to be called the 8 hour window diet is that you have 8 hours within a day to eat, and fast for 16. For example I have been eating between 1pm-9pm and then fasting until 1pm the following day.

So far I've found this to be working for me, although its only early days, I feel really positive about it about as usually when I diet I calorie count obsessively and it really starts to affect my social life.

Just wondering if anyone else is doing this fasting approaching? And if so how is it going for them? Really wish I had the willpower to do the DD/UD as so many of you are doing. But hopefully this form of IF will continue to work. :)

Hi there, I've not heard of this method of fasting but it sounds pretty interesting. I'm doing standard UD/DD but I can see why it wouldn't work for everyone.

Best of luck, will be interested to see how you get on x

I have already introduced myself in the intro thread but didn't really go into my diet plan, so here goes...

I've tampered around with intermittent fasting from doing research online and decided to try the DD/UD. I found 500 calories too restricting and I became way to hunger on UD resulting in overeating. However, I wanted to persevere with it and purchased the IF diet book by Robert Skinner.

The book had 3 options of intermittent fasting, two sounded fairly similar, you consume 500 calories 2 days a week. The third however which is called the Thirder diet in the book and I've found it online to be called the 8 hour window diet is that you have 8 hours within a day to eat, and fast for 16. For example I have been eating between 1pm-9pm and then fasting until 1pm the following day.

So far I've found this to be working for me, although its only early days, I feel really positive about it about as usually when I diet I calorie count obsessively and it really starts to affect my social life.

Just wondering if anyone else is doing this fasting approaching? And if so how is it going for them? Really wish I had the willpower to do the DD/UD as so many of you are doing. But hopefully this form of IF will continue to work. :)

I did Fast -5 for a while in which you have a 5 hour eating window and fast the rest of the time. I found that 5 hours was way too long to eat too much for me and it didn't work. I do UD/DD now and it's working well. I'm also wondering ( not being rude :) ) why you are dieting? Your stats are a dream never mind your username :) xx

Annoyingly the main reason I want to lose weight is to fit into my clothes comfortably again. If I had the money to replace the clothes I can't wear, I'd probably rethink doing this short term diet. Also, I think dieting would help my think more about why I comfort and boredom eat so much and curb it, as before starting this diet I had been bingeing on some days just out of habit.

X

it sounds like an ideal solution, i'd be really interested to see how u get on with this! it sounds like you miss breakfast and just dont eat late in the evening which is something i could definitely cope with.i know its always been said that breakfast is the most important meal of the day but i find when i have breakfast early im always looking for a snack mid-morning which leads to chocolate in my case (!) but on days where ive skipped breakie due to busy mornings at work, ive usually had a nice big lunch at 1ish (600 cals inc meal and snack) which fills me til teatime then i go to the gym and have tea later, not even feeling hungry. i usually go to bed at 10 on weeknights anyway so this sounds very doable to me! x

I've been doing this on and off.

Are you male or female??
Males can have 16 hours fasting a day but females can only have 14.

I stop eating around 10pm and dont eat til 12 (lunchtime) the next day.

The health benefits are amazing.

Are you male or female??

hi littlemiss, what have your weight loss results looked like while doing this version of fasting? did u stick to a certain calorie amount each day too or did you chop and change? xx

Are you male or female??

I'm female by the way :)

That's really interesting, I've only heard that 16 hours is the minimum to benefit. I'm find 16 hours manageable and actually I don't miss breakfast, just the cup of tea I have with it! I have green tea in the morning instead which the book states is okay, but it just isn't the same. What do you drink when fasting? I'm unsure whether small amounts of milk for a cup of tea would affect the benefits. I have very little milk in my tea anyway if that's any help.

x

I got exactly the same book and read it this weekend! I was interested in the Thirder version as it seemed similar to Fast 5. Now i think i can eat way too much in an 8 hour period so was thinking of combining Fast 5 with 5:2 but not sure how that will work out??? HOw are you finding it so far?

I got exactly the same book and read it this weekend! I was interested in the Thirder version as it seemed similar to Fast 5. Now i think i can eat way too much in an 8 hour period so was thinking of combining Fast 5 with 5:2 but not sure how that will work out??? HOw are you finding it so far?

A couple of us tried Fast 5 on here, I think we felt it was indeed too easy to overeat in the window, and above anything else it's not very flexible, say if you have a night out or whatever you'd need to be going home at 10pm LOL!

As was said to me by a wise man on the IF subject, it's really about finding the way that suits you best to get an overall calorie deficit in the week, I think this point is often missed on IF plans and it certainly took a few weeks for that to sink in with me.

A couple of us tried Fast 5 on here, I think we felt it was indeed too easy to overeat in the window, and above anything else it's not very flexible, say if you have a night out or whatever you'd need to be going home at 10pm LOL!

As was said to me by a wise man on the IF subject, it's really about finding the way that suits you best to get an overall calorie deficit in the week, I think this point is often missed on IF plans and it certainly took a few weeks for that to sink in with me.

I think it's very true that it's about finding whats best for you, I find the 8 hour window good for me at the moment. I'm most prone to binge eat late at night and not so much during the day, so once I reach the end of the 8 hours which is 9pm for me, I feel like it is easier to tell myself 'no, I can not eat now' rather than falling into the trap of 'well, I'll just have one biscuit' and then end up eating the whole packet.

x

I think it's very true that it's about finding whats best for you, I find the 8 hour window good for me at the moment. I'm most prone to binge eat late at night and not so much during the day, so once I reach the end of the 8 hours which is 9pm for me, I feel like it is easier to tell myself 'no, I can not eat now' rather than falling into the trap of 'well, I'll just have one biscuit' and then end up eating the whole packet.

x

Yeah thats the key I think, in my house an open packet is an empty packet!! LOL

totally agree about the overall weekly calories deficit, i found it helped me when i followed ud/dd. as long as u remember this when eating in the 8 hour window, it should be a good plan :)

I like the sound of this, what kind of things do you eat? and how do you manage to eat the right things and amounts? I imagine I would find some way of just eating too much!

Hi ya, hope you dont mind me joining in. When I saw this thread it caught my eye. I have been doing 5:2 for a month now and havn't lost a single 1lb very disappointing. So when I saw this I thought it might be better calorie wise for me. So I am giving it a week to see if anything happens. Someone suggested I incorporate the 5:2 and the 8/16 together. So for example two days between 12-8pm only eat 500 cals and the other 5 days eat normally between 12-8pm. Any thoughts..... Many thanks :)

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Hi ya, hope you dont mind me joining in. When I saw this thread it caught my eye. I have been doing 5:2 for a month now and havn't lost a single 1lb very disappointing. So when I saw this I thought it might be better calorie wise for me. So I am giving it a week to see if anything happens. Someone suggested I incorporate the 5:2 and the 8/16 together. So for example two days between 12-8pm only eat 500 cals and the other 5 days eat normally between 12-8pm. Any thoughts..... Many thanks :)

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

I am tempted to give that ago.. on 500 days I only really need to control myself in the evening! So to have 500 cal within a short period may suit me and extended the actual fasting...

I'm female by the way :)

That's really interesting, I've only heard that 16 hours is the minimum to benefit. I'm find 16 hours manageable and actually I don't miss breakfast, just the cup of tea I have with it! I have green tea in the morning instead which the book states is okay, but it just isn't the same. What do you drink when fasting? I'm unsure whether small amounts of milk for a cup of tea would affect the benefits. I have very little milk in my tea anyway if that's any help.

x

Hi i have been doing thirds for two weeks today. I have contacted the guys from the book and they assure me that black tea is just fine. Green teais not the same is it? I have around 5 - 10ml of skimmed milk which is less than one calorie so all good! I struggled with the morning fast for first few days but now completely adjusted.Ifind that i don't actually binge during the eight hours. Have only lost around three pounds in two weeks but being as i have not deprived myself of ANYTHING in this time i think that's just fine!

Hi i have been doing thirds for two weeks today. I have contacted the guys from the book and they assure me that black tea is just fine. Green teais not the same is it? I have around 5 - 10ml of skimmed milk which is less than one calorie so all good! I struggled with the morning fast for first few days but now completely adjusted.Ifind that i don't actually binge during the eight hours. Have only lost around three pounds in two weeks but being as i have not deprived myself of ANYTHING in this time i think that's just fine!

Thanks for inquring about that, that's the only thing i can't manage without in the morning is a proper cuppa! I've adjusted well to morning fasting too, and don't feel compelled to overeat during the 8 hours which is good as I thought the fasting might have that effect.

However, annoying I fell totally off the wagon on Monday and been eating really poorly and far too much since then. I sort of knew it was going to happen as of Monday morning, i suffer with depression and was having a really low day. Im trying hard not feel too guilty or beat myself up about it. Im back on track today and trying to remain optimistic.

x

Back