Hi, newbie starting on Low carb diet

elle_moon

Hi all, just joined a few days ago and am doing a low carb / high protein diet (basically Atkins, but as a vegetarian). Hoping this forum will be a good source of inspiration and motivation, especially for recipes!

I've only been doing it a few days, but am officially in ketosis (or so my ketone sticks tell me) - yay! I've been feeling really thirsty so drinking lots of water. Haven't noticed smelly breath which is usually a symptom of ketosis I'm told, but then I do tend to brush my teeth at least 3 times a day.
Been eating lots of omelettes, as have a great omelette maker that makes them perfectly. Will need to start experimenting with other egg variations though as I'm sure the time will come when I can't stand the sight of another omelette LOL.

I know what you mean! I'm not a vegetarian but all my life I've only ever ate chicken breast as I don't like the taste of meat much, but that's how desperate I am that I am eating steak!! :() I'm doing ok so far hoping won't sicken myself between that and eggs! I lost 2.5 stone on ww and for past year and half have just stalled so hoping Atkins helps!! what else have you tried apart from eggs?

Veggie burgers, home made veggie chilli with quorn, made a tofu/mozzarella crust pizza which was amazing! Also tried the cauliflower crust pizza last night, but didn't like that quite so much as the tofu one (found the cauli a bit bitter). I halved the ingredients in the recipe to make a smaller pizza though, as even with it being low carbs I couldn't trust myself to eat just a couple of slices and put the rest in the fridge. Strange thing is, I've pretty much never cooked from scratch before - was always a high carb ready meal type of girl, and am finding making food is actually quite satisfying!

Me too I always hand made my fiancé dinner from scratch but bunged my own in the micro, my downfall is crisps :( ohhhh the veggie chillies sounds delish, my book hasn't been delivered yet do I'm trying to rely on the net for what I can eat for first 2 weeks....think I'm on right track.... I had cayenne pepper in my eggs today with double cream sounds horrific but was to die for :)

Is that the Rose Elliott veg gripe low carb book you've ordered? If so its really good. Great recipe for low carb granola in there although strictly I'm not meant to having nuts just yet

Hiya , no its just the normal Atkins book I've ordered just using the net for advice Judy now although was told this sure was useful and friendly......your the only person to answer about 5 threads so feeling on my own :(

Don't feel on your own hun! I felt like that after my first post and thought maybe it was an 'in thing' with people who had been here ages but i think it's just there are lots of threads / message boards and not everyone reads every one.

elle_moon said:
Is that the Rose Elliott veg gripe low carb book you've ordered? If so its really good. Great recipe for low carb granola in there although strictly I'm not meant to having nuts just yet

Not sure what ' veg gripe ' is LoL, must have been an iPad autocomplete. Veggie I think I meant to say

Haha I knew what you meant :) I got told to stop adding to people's diaries and start my own :/ oops but can't figure out how to use this on my phone! I THINK I managed to add a post onto the Atkins forum just wait and see, but the Facebook forum is quite good got a few replies today from some people. I just feel I'm eating the same stuff...meat...cheese....eggs.....suppose once book comes I'll have some recipes :) how long have you been on it?

jan9209 said:
Haha I knew what you meant :) I got told to stop adding to people's diaries and start my own :/ oops but can't figure out how to use this on my phone! I THINK I managed to add a post onto the Atkins forum just wait and see, but the Facebook forum is quite good got a few replies today from some people. I just feel I'm eating the same stuff...meat...cheese....eggs.....suppose once book comes I'll have some recipes :) how long have you been on it?

No worries Jan, this isn't a diary entry just a normal post. I don't think I qualify to gave a diary yet - not enough general posts yet :)
Been properly doing Atkins about 5 days (ie have been having 20g carbs a day) but before that for about a week generally just cut down on carbs. I'm in ketosis now after starting to follow the plan properly, and starting to lose the desire to binge on carbs. Before that I've tried a number of things, in recent months mainly calorie counting and I also tried the maple syrup diet for a week. Didn't realise til afterwards how misguided that was for me personally though, as the syrup was MASSIVELY high in carbs/sugar as one would expect.

I feel low carb is the right thing for me now, I intend to use it as a healthy eating plan as opposed to a 'diet' , as already headaches I used t frequently get are reducing (ie they were probably carb-induced!) and I'm feeling good. Still bit low on energy but hopefully this will get better as I get more Atkins days under my belt, and I'll be ready to get back in the gym again.

That great Elle your doing well!! I bought maple syrup and ten ton of lemons last week! But couldn't go through with it the thought if the salt water flush gave me chills!! I thought I was doing well but a guy in fb says I'm eating too much meat and not enough fats :( back to drawing board I guess fell a let down was trying hard with the meat as well, but was eating 20g carbs, we we include the meat as carbs? I wasn't :() I really want to do this but I'm so confused.
Keep up your great work though x

Back