Hit a plateau - how long do they last?

Started mid November.
Big loses at start (11lb over 2 weeks), 3lb gain over xmas, steadied up at about -2.5/week during January.
Struggling now.
Last week STS, week before 3 off, week before 0.5 on. Lost 1st 13.5 in total. Hope to lose another 3st.

Member of the group said it’s a plateau (experienced member - 6st loss - she is better than the consultant)
Says to change eating habits to trick body.

So I had been doing extra easy, usually fruit & yog for b/f, soup for lunch, potatoes meat and veg for dinner. Low syns, usually hifi bar.
This week, I have done 1 green and 2 red days, and ate totally different stuff on the EE days.

I have also been exercising but not regulary eg 1 session one week, none the next, 3 the next etc

How long before I see the weight starting to come off steady again?

i am sorry you are having a plateau - but you have had a good loss so keep chin up
I am having a bad time too - had a hiccup at christmas lost all that last week was in hospital and only lost 1/2 lb - this week I seem to be sabotaged in that I have not been in control of my own meals so think I am going to have horrible WI on Monday and I am a bit down to say the least. somebody give me a kick to keep me going please - I have a lot to lose and so far have only managed 1/2 stone - i know weather has meant exercise is limited but I need to stay on this plan and am down today very !!!

Shes not actually correct a plateau is when your weight stays the same for weeks on end. Losing 3lbs the week before last most definitely isnt a plataeu its blooming annoying but its not a plateau. Shes right in one respect maybe changing things will help but I dont think Id change too much, youve only had one sts so far - 3lbs off was brilliant. Wait and see what the scales say next week before worrying x

i am sorry you are having a plateau - but you have had a good loss so keep chin up
I am having a bad time too - had a hiccup at christmas lost all that last week was in hospital and only lost 1/2 lb - this week I seem to be sabotaged in that I have not been in control of my own meals so think I am going to have horrible WI on Monday and I am a bit down to say the least. somebody give me a kick to keep me going please - I have a lot to lose and so far have only managed 1/2 stone - i know weather has meant exercise is limited but I need to stay on this plan and am down today very !!!

:asskick: well you did ask for one! Don't worry too much its too weeks of not being totally in control and we are all in it for the long haul!

Take the best decisions you can and get back to it 100% when you can!

Chin up and good luck x

I had a plateau for 3 months losing only 1 lb in that time. that is what I call a real plateau !!

Hi everyone, I think I may be experiencing a plateau this week, I lost 16 lbs in my first week but only 1lb this week but I really felt like I lost more weight as my clothes were a lot loser, so I was gutted when I got weighed! I'm drinking loads of water, averaging about 4litres a day so I couldn't understand what hapened. How long does a plateau usually last?

Its really quite demoralising and I've only experience it for a few hours so I can't begin to understand how you must have felt for three months!

Hi everyone, I think I may be experiencing a plateau this week, I lost 16 lbs in my first week but only 1lb this week but I really felt like I lost more weight as my clothes were a lot loser, so I was gutted when I got weighed! I'm drinking loads of water, averaging about 4litres a day so I couldn't understand what hapened. How long does a plateau usually last?

Its really quite demoralising and I've only experience it for a few hours so I can't begin to understand how you must have felt for three months!
I presume you are joking. 17lbs in 2 weeks is more than most people lose in 3 months !!!If you are losing even 1/2 lb a week that is not a plateau. Your bodily weight fluctuates for various reasons. You must start looking at the bigger picture. What has your monthly loss been like, what is your monthly pattern of loss, are you better keeping to plan some weeks more than others. how much are you aiming to lose each week becasue 1 -2 lb is perfect.This is what 1lb fat looks like.
06_12_04_fat3.jpg

I'm sorry, I'm new to this forum and I was in the wrong diet forum. I'm still pleased I lost 17lbs but I was initially disappointed because I was expecting to lose more, I think I was aiming too high!

Back