Hmm - doing Cambridge for Sponsorship - would it work?

Discussion in 'Cambridge Weight Plan' started by Lily, 26 February 2011 Social URL.

1. Lily

Lily Gold Member

Start Weight:
    16st11.0lb
    Current Weight:
    15st10.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st7.0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st1lb(6.38%)
    Diet:
    VLCD
    Hiya folks

As I sit here contemplating getting going on my gazillionth restart - you know, the one that will definitely be my last, the one where I'll lose all my surplus weight and go up all the steps properly, and not let anything get in my way or any stupid thoughts derail my motivation, etc., etc... :D

...I can't help but wonder whether it might be an idea to lose weight for a charitable cause.

Or whether it wouldn't. :) Whether all that would happen would be that I might fall off the wagon and feel guiltier than ever, and end up raiding my own piggy bank to pay over the sponsorship that I would've raised had I managed to stick things out.

Or would the fear of failure actually help me through the cr*p times and keep me going?

Now obviously, the best reason to lose weight is for yourself. I've been around the loop enough times to know that's what everyone says. But I do want to lose weight for myself. It's just I really want to give myself a big enough kick up the rear to get to where I want to get.

Anyone ever tried it - gone down the raising money for charity by doing a sponsored slim route?

Do you think it's a crazy idea? Ill-advised? Or does it have potential?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. MinnieMel

MinnieMel Why Be Normal?

Start Weight:
    192lb
    Current Weight:
    192lb
    Goal Weight:
    138lb
    Lost(%):
    0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers/low carb/cc
    Losing Weight for Sponsorship /Charity

IMHO -- Lily

MM

4. Lily

Lily Gold Member

Start Weight:
    16st11.0lb
    Current Weight:
    15st10.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st7.0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st1lb(6.38%)
    Diet:
    VLCD
    LOL, such good answers, MinnieMel.

I know. What was I thinking? And to be honest, I'm not sure I could face asking people for sponsorship anyway. It was just one of those 'good ideas for five minutes' moments, I think.

And yes, even as I was writing the first paragraph, I realised that what I'd written sounded as though I didn't believe I could ever get doing Cambridge right. Still wrote it though. :rolleyes:

Isn't the Beck book going to be full of stuff I've read before? How does it differ from the usual weightloss advice book?

5. MinnieMel

MinnieMel Why Be Normal?

Start Weight:
    192lb
    Current Weight:
    192lb
    Goal Weight:
    138lb
    Lost(%):
    0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Hi Lily,

A lot of it is familiar as other psychologists use CBT (Beck's father is supposedly the originator of CBT). She, herself, used CBT techniques to help herself lose weight and maintain her weight losses. She used it her practice for this and other things (originally is was used to treat depression).

For 6.99 pounds, if you get the book and work through it front to back doing all the steps, it will be a very good investment. I am sure it will help you.

I am doing more than a chapter a day, because I am already on a diet. It is designed to be used as you are preparing for a diet. But Beck addresses that, too.

IF a person goes along with the steps, process, things (even if they seem silly or uneccessary) that you are asked to do, I am certain that it will help almost anyone to "retrain their brain" so that they "think like a thin person" and make better choices naturally. Then, losing the weight and maintaining the losses become a part of who you are.

I, personally, think that using this book and joining the Beck thread on CD maintenance will be very helpful.

MM

Lily likes this.
  6. Lily

Lily Gold Member

Start Weight:
    16st11.0lb
    Current Weight:
    15st10.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st7.0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st1lb(6.38%)
    Diet:
    VLCD
    Well - you'll be pleased to know my Beck book is on its way already then. :)

It should arrive on Tuesday, fingers crossed.

I know CBT works. I have a friend who wants to 'buy' me a session of cognitive hypnotherapy for my weight loss issues. Not sure if I want to try that or not, to be honest.

I'll start with a new book...

Thanks again, MinnieMel x

7. MinnieMel

MinnieMel Why Be Normal?

Start Weight:
    192lb
    Current Weight:
    192lb
    Goal Weight:
    138lb
    Lost(%):
    0lb(0%)
    Diet:
Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.