Homemade Brown Bread as a HEB???

GalVeg

Hi. I'm still newish to the SW plan but I was wondering if it is possibble to have your own Homemade Brown Bread as a HEB???
How many calories/fibre would it have to have to qualify? Is their a way of calculating it? I absolutely detest dry chemical laden shop bread:sign0137:

Thanks!

I think this might be something you have to ask your consultant - I'm sure i have read things on this before but cant seem to find the links to direct you to (try a search and see if anything comes up)

One thing I do remember is that you dont get as much 'bang for your buck' as homemade bread is more dense....you will get a really small slice for 60g compared to shop bought bread.

I would interested to know the answer though as I love making bread but generally dont these days.

Is it brown or is it wholemeal? It would have to be wholemeal to count as a HEB. What flour do you use?

Do you add fat/oil of any kind? In which case you would have to syn that.

If it is wholemeal, and without any fat or oil, then you could weigh it and have it as your HEXB. But as sparty says, be prepared for it to look like a fairly mean portion, as home-made bread is often denser than shop bought. My home-mades loaves could have doubled as housebricks!! (Made delicious toast, though!)

I don't see any reason why homemade wholemeal wouldn't be a HEX B, so long as you only have 60g worth. There is plenty of fat and oil in shop bought bread so it will have been taken into consideration when they calculated how much you can have, so I wouldn't worry about working out the syns for these ingredients. I have a bread maker that I occasionally use and I know the amount of butter in a large loaf is nominal. Enjoy.

To classify as a HexB the portion size must contain 3g of fibre.
That's what Ryvita Wholegrain Krackerbreads have just been removed from the HexB list.

So your 60g bread portion would need to have the 3g of fibre - but how you would measure this is a bit tricky.

Not hard to work out if you are used to making your own bread - this is just an example from Lidl flour -
400gms of flour makes 12 - 60gm rolls.
Each 100gms of flour has 4.8gms of fibre so 4 times 4.8 = 19.2 gms
so 12 rolls = 1.6 gms each which is not enough fibre.

Been through all this with my OH who makes all our bread so he has to check out what flour he buys.

Have read on this forum that SW did approve this bread mix from Tesco.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=252015574

Last edited:
Back