Green Day Homemade meat free vegetable burgers / fingers

Ruth

Hi there

I've been trying to think of making a recipe for the above and I've drew a little bit of a blank.... Similar to the ones I buy from tescos...

The only thing I've come up with is to mix vegetable with instant mash and panfry... But would prefer a recipe with chunks of potatoes rather than mash,.... He hmm maybe grated potato would work, mixed with finely chopped carrots, onions, peas, sweet corn maybe even green beans etc

Anybody got any weird and wonder ideas I could try

Thank you in advance

Been looking for this aswell! Would be very interesting.

Hi thanks for that, I haven't really mastered the hash browns so need more practice...

This is what I'm trying to replicate..
veg grill.jpg

though the receipe states, potato and dried potato, so I'm guessing that is the binding agent.

Made veg mixed with a little mashed pot and dried potato....

hhhmmm, will have to find the time to give it ago at the weekend, whats the worst that could happen!

I made some but they werent syn free (breadcrumbs and flour in them) and werent worth the syns in my opinion. I was thinking of just grating carrots, courgettes frying them off with some onion, mushroom and adding sweetcorn then mixing with mashed potato. Maybe adding a healthy extra amount of cheese in each one too. Havent got round to trying it yet though!

I wreckon you could fry onions, mushrooms and garlic...once done fold into mash potato and finely diced cooked veg. I would then squash them up pretty hard and fry in fry light on a low heat or grill. You could maybe add an egg into the mixture to bind but I'm vegan so don't eat eggs.

I would have some breadcrumbs as syns but you could do without :)

Yeah i forgot to say to add an egg to bind. My carnivore boyfriend is away this weekend and ive some spuds about to grow things in the cupboard so that sounds like the ideal oppurtunity to make some. Im thinking a bulk batch with some for the freezer....watch this space

ehhhh i tried.... but they werent very successful :sigh:

They are lacking something. Cant decide what. Ive a load on the freezer though to work out what though. Will pan fry next one-just stuck to the foil in the oven

Sorry I wasn't notified you had replied. I popped back for ideas as I was going to give it a go....

What did you put into them?

I plan on grilling..... think I'm going to try without an egg firstly as whenever I use an egg to bind stuff it just ends up too wet!

I've a bag of finely chopped frozen veg, carrots, peas, beans, broccoli and cauliflower, so I plan to warm it up in the microwave and mix with some powder mash.... squish and cook....

It's a night of firsts tonight, going to try and mushroom pie recipe with grated topped potatoes and some courgette frittates, so it's going to be interesting!

I basically put any veg in the fridge in! There was courgette, carrot, broccoli, cauliflower, sweetcorn, mushrooms and onions and mixed it with potato and cheese. The mixture was too wet even without an egg and adding a second lot of potato to try dry it out. The ones I made before had breadcrumbs and flour in it. They held their shape and cooked a lot better but is obviously syns. Maybe smash made with less water than directed would be better than proper mashed potato?

Ok, well I tried it... erm , it's different! Nothing like what I was trying to replicate, but still I might try them again.

I defrosted some mixed veg from the freezer consisting of peas, carrots cauliflower and brocoli, it was tiny peices and I add some sweetcorn. I then made up a little bit of smash, never used it before, but i aimed for a dry mixture, mixed it all together and moulded with my hands, into the fryer pan with some fry light...

I would add more seasoning next time....not quite right but hey ho, it's exciting trying and myself and partner polished them off!

IMAG1083.jpg

That's basically bubble and squeak isn't it?? Yummy!!! Might have to have some of that on the weekend actually I'm craving comfort food!!

OH EM GEE .... is there anything nicer than bubble and squeak? Thanks for the reminder, Saturday's breakfast sorted :D

P x

What do you usually put in yours? Mine is usually after a roast so its for spuds, veg, gravy, stuffing, and if we're lucky a honey glazed parsnip or two...I usually fry em then have em with some baked beans :) might have to have B&S

Ooh, we love it so much we make it especially. SW version will be plain mashed potatoes, spring greens and dry fried onions. All over-cooked so there are lots of crispy brown "best bits"!! :D For a real treat, leftover sprouts go in .... but we don't usually have leftover sprouts!! ;)

Enjoy! :D

P x

Back