homemade syn free yogurt

cat yoyo greaves

Gold Member
I have just bought myself a yogurt maker from Lakeland and I love it
Fresh homemade cheap tasty syn free bio yogurt what could be better

All I do is put a carton of skimmed uht in the container 2tbsp skimmed milk powder mix it up add a dollop of my previous yogurt to start it (i used a shop bought bio yogurt to start my first ever batch) switch on and leave for 12 hrs

Refrigerate to set it further and voila one litre of tasty pro biotic yogurt
It costs me less than 60p a litre and I worked out nutritional value of it using syns calc and its FREE

cat yoyo greaves said:

All I do is put a carton of skimmed uht in the container 2tbsp skimmed milk powder mix it up add a dollop of my previous yogurt to start it (i used a shop bought bio yogurt to start my first ever batch) switch on and leave for 12 hrs

It costs me less than 60p a litre and I worked out nutritional value of it using syns calc and its FREE

And I've just strained some of it in muslin with a bit of salt to make yogurt cheese ......IT TASTES LIKE PHILLY

Please can you tell me how you got to this being syn free? My slimming world consultant has looked at it and gone through it with SW head office and even they can't work it out!

I hope you are right as I love my yoghurt maker too but have been to scared to make it after joining SW.

Please could you reply as soon as poss as I want to make some desperately.

Many thanks x

Ok I have found nutritional value of UHT skimmed milk and powder and used the SW syns calculator. this actually works out to 19 syns for the 900ml of yoghurt. so beware, this is not syn free as described.

I thought that would be the case, I have been thinking about it for a couple of days trying to work it out!

I don't eat dairy and I thought that as light soya milk was lower in syns than skimmed then I could maybe make syn free soya yoghurt, as you can't buy any low/no fat dairy free yoghurt in the shops. But every time I tried to figure how it would be syn free I just couldn't do it! Oh well :D

I just read this thread having just signed up for slimming world and hoping to use my yoghurt maker in the slimming process. I have done some more research and hope this helps;

- Fat free yoghurt is free on SW. However, fat free yoghurt is not made with skimmed milk but fat free milk, which you cannot commercially buy with ease (I looked at Tesco on-line).

- Therefore yoghurt made with a fat free yoghurt starter and skimmed milk would have the same syn's as skimmed milk (2 syns per 100ml or 20 syns per L) as posted above.

- Why not use your healthy extra a choice of 350ml skimmed milk to make yoghurt. I cannot see how this is wrong, you are getting the calcium and if anything making it better for you and more filling.

- Alternatively use one of the milk alternatives like Almond milk which you can get more of in your healthy extra a choice. (I have not tried making yoghurt with this, I think soya milk works so maybe it will. I intend to give it a go this week.)

- Some info on the calorie and fat content of different UHT milks.

Back