Hoping to beat emotional eating

mamabees

Hi everyone

I'm saying hello with hope that this time I might be able to shift some of my weight. I've rejoined Slimming World and weighed in at over 13 stone at 5' 2".

Unfortunately every time I've tried to stick to a diet, I've ended up stuffing myself whenever I get stressed or upset. I've only been going since Friday and I've already been attached to the toaster after some rubbish news.

This time though, I'm going try and be kinder to myself and keep going even though I'm likely to fall off plan 3 times a week at least. And if anyone has any ideas how to get my head in a different place, I'd love to hear.

Great to meet you and I'm looking forward to sharing with you all

Hi mamabees I'm the same as you and I'm trying new techniques to try to kick the emotional eating... today was when I really really really wanted to eat something I wasn't suppose to as I was feeling very stressed out and knew if I did I would ruin my syns for the day, I just made my legs walk/run away saying "you don't need it you don't need it you don't need it" lol it did work as I got distracted by something else. I've been thinking about all the things I want to eat all day though, hoping that with results on the scales it will make me stronger to resist eating emotions. I second being kind to yourself, it doesn't matter that you fell, it matters that you picked yourself up again and continue to try. A good one I do have success with actually is "I'll eat it tomorrow, just not right this minute" sometimes it'll work a couple of days and not others, but I still think thats a win as its still less :)

Oh thanks for the encouragement Passion fruit, I love the idea of making myself run away from the toaster. I sort of get all consumed by needing to eat when I'm stressed and doing something as wonderfully unexpected as that and making myself laugh might well help. You are right that even it things don't work all the time, it's still a win as it's less. I'm going to stick that on the kitchen wall :)

Lol you could go one further and run saying "ahh the toaster wants to eat me instead!" Humour can help in almost all situations can't it :) toast is my favourite food by the way and just the smell of bread sets off my radar so I try to hide the bread away!

Distraction is key! Time was if I had a stressful day at work I'd stop at the shop on my way home, buy a packet of chocolate digestives, and eat the lot. Now I force myself to do something else to calm down, usually swim/walk/run which works and has the added bonus of burning calories! The only thing I haven't come up against yet is illness eating. When I feel crap I buy in loads of treats, sit on the sofa and feel sorry for myself. I need to tackle that next time I'm ill!

I could have written your post, if I have a bad day straight to the fridge for chocolate. I am about to start slimming world. So let's keep each other going.

Back