Hot or cold water? Does it make a difference?

Discussion in 'Cambridge Weight Plan' started by DisneyParis, 7 March 2011 Social URL.

1. DisneyParis

DisneyParis An Attitude of Gratitude

When the weather's cold (it still is for me now) l tend to have most of my daily water intake hot, l've got a litre jug flask and use that. This might seem daft to ask, but l was wondering if it helps with weight loss if you drink the water cold or does it not make a difference, l was wondering if it had any affect on metabolism?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. lancsgirl

lancsgirl yummy mummy in the making

Start Weight:
    22st3lb
    Current Weight:
    22st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    slim and save
    I have always been told cold water is best as it speeds your metabolic rate up. Xx

4. PhoenixsHonour

PhoenixsHonour Full Member

Start Weight:
    21st3lb
    Current Weight:
    19st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st7lb
    Lost(%):
    1st6lb(6.73%)
    Diet:
    Calorie Counting
    If the water is cold your body expends energy to warm the water up, but the amount is negligible, as far as I know. It takes 1 kcal to raise the temperature of litre of water by 1 degrees C - so if you're drinking a litre at 5C, it'll take your body 32 calories to make it 37C (body temp).

So yes, the temperature does make a difference, but really not that much.

5. Lily

Lily Gold Member

Start Weight:
    16st11.0lb
    Current Weight:
    15st10.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st7.0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st1lb(6.38%)
    Diet:
    VLCD
    Drinking cold water probably speeds up your metabolism a little bit but I doubt we're talking burning too many extra calories. A few more, maybe. But if you find it easier to drink your water hot, go for it. Hydration's the most important thing here. :)

6. Lily

Lily Gold Member

Start Weight:
    16st11.0lb
    Current Weight:
    15st10.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st7.0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st1lb(6.38%)
    Diet:
    VLCD
    LOL, cross-posted. :)

And extrapolating... (ooh, big word)

3 litres of water drunk ice cold would let your body burn approx 100 calories extra a day. Which would be 700 extra a week. Equivalent to losing one fifth of a pound. So over the course of 5 weeks of drinking ice cold water you'd burn an extra pound.

:D

Last edited: 7 March 2011
  7. cherylxx

cherylxx Silver Member

Diet:
    CD sole source

either way its hardly a reason to give urself brain freeze whilst chanting ' must have icy water' lol

8. DisneyParis

DisneyParis An Attitude of Gratitude

Thanks for your replies. Good it doesn't make too much difference, think l'll stick with my hot water for now, at least until it get a bit warmer here in Scotland, probably by July, lol. :)

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.