• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more



House sale dilema. Advice please.

#1
Some of you will remember that we had a Belgium family interested in buying our house. We have heard from their agent that they are still very interested but are not coming back to Spain until Easter and will see us then.

I was hoping to be away from here well before then so needless to say I am quite disappointed.

There has been no mention of a deposit being paid so I think we should push ahead and try and sell to who ever comes along first with the money.

What do you think ?? I think our first loyalty is to us not them.

It is a very sweet house, lots of character, beams and all of that so it should sell. My only worry is that the market is very depressed.
 
Get Rid of this ad and join in on the conversation for free today! Tap here!
#2
You owe the potential new buyers no favours unless they want to make some commitment by way of a deposit (or whatever the norm is in Spain).

I think it's unfair to expect someone to wait 4 months before they even discuss actually putting in an offer. Imagine if you waited until Easter, and then they came over and changed their mind?

If it were me I would say I would still keep the house on the market, and keep them informed if anyone else made any offers, so they could decide if they wanted to come and see it again before easter.
 

soccermom

I AM A WEMITT x
#3
I would just tell them that you would be happy to speak to them at Easter but in the mean time the house will remain on the market, it may hurry them on a little bit.

This is what we did when we had a couple interested in our house.

They were trying to sell their flat but we provisionally accepted an offer from them, in the meantime someone else came along and bought our house as the other couple could not complete in time for us.

I think its a good compromise in the current situation.

Good luck
 

big bear

A bear on a mission!
#4
As Jen says keep it on the market but let them know that this is what you are doing. You've no loyalties to them & if they really wanted they could come see it etc now.

Hope that someone buys it soon XX
 
#5
I've always thought it was a bit back-to-front to put an offer in on a house before you've sold yours - A bit like offering to buy a car before you've actually got the money!
 
#6
Id definitely keep it on the market. Not sure about the English system but up here in a situation like this an interested party can submit a note of interest via their solicitor. This happened with my brothers house, several people were really interested but couldnt put in an offer as they hadnt sold their house. They submitted notes of interest and when S finally got an offer in his solicitor notified everyone else, sort of to give them a chance, but ultimately he was free to sell it to the first real offer.

You could wait til Easter and then hear nothing and youve wasted months, as soccermom says it might gee them up a bit
 
#7
Yes I agree on that one. It is what is holding us back from putting in an offer on a house we have seen in Cornwall because until this one is sold we could not complete.........that is unless 6 little numbers come up this weekend and then you will not see my heels for dust. We will be Cornwall bound lol.
 
#8
You have to put yourself first I'm afraid! You have no loyalty to these people (I presume you don't actually 'know them'?) and it is fair enough to keep your house on the market. I'm sure if push came to shove they would have no loyalty to you and DH. I agree that the best you should offer them is to keep them up to date with any subsequent offers so that they can act accordingly. Yikes, I hate all this game playing when you're selling houses, I hope you get it sold quickly and you can make the move you want to. x
 
#10
Id definitely keep it on the market. Not sure about the English system but up here in a situation like this an interested party can submit a note of interest via their solicitor. This happened with my brothers house, several people were really interested but couldnt put in an offer as they hadnt sold their house. They submitted notes of interest and when S finally got an offer in his solicitor notified everyone else, sort of to give them a chance, but ultimately he was free to sell it to the first real offer.

You could wait til Easter and then hear nothing and youve wasted months, as soccermom says it might gee them up a bit

I have always liked the Scottish system. It just seems so sensible.

Unfortunately we do not have any real system here.

Anyone want a pretty house, sea views, pool, land, stables. Going cheap lol !!!

Seriously I think tomorrow I will ring around a few more agents and also put a sign up at the end of our lane. Might even consider advertising it in the U.K. Any suggestions ??
 
#11

Leapfrog

Champion actifryer
#12
I'd agree with everyone else - you have to keep it on the market. If you receive another offer before Easter, then go back to the agent and try to get a better offer from your Belgian people. Good luck :D
 
#13
Sue, if my numbers come up, I will put an offer in! :D But I agree with the others, you should definitely stay on the market. As you said, the market is depressed and places are not selling fast, Easter is only a couple of months away and in the scheme of things, that will soon fly.
 
#14
Sue, if my numbers come up, I will put an offer in! :D But I agree with the others, you should definitely stay on the market. As you said, the market is depressed and places are not selling fast, Easter is only a couple of months away and in the scheme of things, that will soon fly.
In that case I do not mind if your numbers come up instead of mine lol. Just so long as I get 2nd prize !!!

Do you do the lottery ??
 


Similar threads