Step 1 Sole Source how come...

Frustrating, isn't it? But if you watch closely, you'll see that often, it catches up with the 'cheaters' in the end. What happens a lot is that weight loss seems to be unaffected in the week the cheat happened, but then the following week, that person only loses a pound, or shock horror, stays the same - and then those same people come here and say, "I don't understand it, I was 100% this week..." :sigh:

There are so many reasons for different rates of loss though. If you're heavier to start with, you'll lose more weight on a weekly basis. Heavier folks can 'get away' with the odd cheat because they're still eating one hell of a lot less than they were to start with. But other things affect rate of loss. TOTM, constipation, exercise (lots of exercise often doesn't result in faster weight loss - not on a VLCD), whether you're a bit under the weather, whether your thyroid's working properly, whether you've drunk enough water, your age (it gets harder as you get older, unfortunately), etc. And no one, no one, no one consistently loses 3-4 pounds a week, even if they're 100%. That's just the way things are, the way the body works. So you can't focus on the scales alone, you have to go by whether your shape is changing, whether you're feeling fitter, whether it's easier to pull the plug out of the bath this week... ;)

Try not to let it get to you. One thing I know about cheating (from bitter experience), is that the odd cheat leads to more cheating, and more cheating leads to falling off the wagon completely. Every day you can get through a day without cheating takes you closer and closer to goal. Slow and steady wins the race. :)

Hugs

Thanks Lily. What a lot of reasons why we might not lose!

I think your right though, and the important thing is just to keep plodding along and sticking to the rules...

I so want to lose lots of weight quickly, this week ha moved much quicker than week 1 and 2 and I'm hoping for a good loss... Can't wait to WI and find out how this weeks gone! Not long now...

Are you doing SS? how long you been doing it and how are you doing?

Hi Tomnkatesmum :)

Yes, I'm back on SS. Well, SS+ here and there when I crack, LOL. But I really don't want to admit to how many restarts I've had. The fact I have over 3,500 posts here might give you a clue. :eek: Life has a habit of getting in the way, sigh. But I'm feeling really motivated right now, which is just as well because slowly but surely my weight crept back up to 16st 4lbs :eek: Cambridge is the only diet I've ever had much success with (even though it might not look like it right now, LOL). When I'm in the groove, there's nothing better or more motivating, and doing it is a no-brainer. No thinking about what to have for tea, no calories/points/syns to count. I just have to watch the little voice in my head that says, "Go on, have a day off!" because it never ends up being one day! :rolleyes:

I haven't got back in touch with my CWPC just yet because I still have around 4 days of packets on hand, LOL, and I wanted to make sure I was going to be able to keep going this time. But - touching wood like a madwoman - I'm on day 3 and all is well. It's been amazingly easy this time around to get into ketosis. I feel quite well when usually I feel awful at this stage! I'm not knocking it. October is a good time for me to do this diet, it seems. :)

Glad it's going well for you too. Hope this week's weigh in goes well!

Thanks... Well done you for restarting... It must be so hard to get back on the wagon. Will you go and see your cdc again soon?
I've got my week 3 weigh in tomorrow and am really hoping for a good loss... How have you done on CD previously?

Wow 3500 posts, you must have been a member for a while? Bet you've seen a lot in that time!

Thanks... Well done you for restarting... It must be so hard to get back on the wagon. Will you go and see your cdc again soon?
I've got my week 3 weigh in tomorrow and am really hoping for a good loss... How have you done on CD previously?

Wow 3500 posts, you must have been a member for a while? Bet you've seen a lot in that time!

Ah, you probably can't see my signature. I lost 5 and half stones first time around on Cambridge. It was an amazing, wonderful feeling, one I'd like to have again sometime soon.

Yes, 3,500 posts in 5 years. Eek! There have been a lot of changes, a lot of people passing through, new flavours, new plans, lots of people losing lots of weight.

Good luck for week 3. Just so you know, week 3/4 losses can be disappointing sometimes. Don't read anything into it if you lose slightly less than you hoped this week or next, it's just your body adjusting to the rapid weight loss and holding on to more water in a desperate attempt to maintain the status quo. No matter what the scales say, you're losing fat every day that you stick to the plan. Keep hold of that thought, no matter what, and a few months from now there'll be so much less of you, you'll hardly be able to believe it! :)

Wow 5 and a half stone, how long did that take?

I hope I don't have a bad loss this week, last week I only lost 3.5 pounds and I thought that was rubbish! To be honest I just want to wake up skinny :)

Wow 5 and a half stone, how long did that take?

I hope I don't have a bad loss this week, last week I only lost 3.5 pounds and I thought that was rubbish! To be honest I just want to wake up skinny :)

It took around 6 months to lose that much weight - weight loss does slow down a bit as the weeks go on, unfortunately. To be honest, 3.5lbs in a week is a fantastic loss - that's about as much as you can hope to lose in a week when you consider that most of us lose 14lbs a month on SS. Yes, there will be the odd 5lb off, sometimes more, but most of the time it'll be around 3lbs. There will be weeks where you lose hardly anything - maybe nothing at all. If you're doing the diet 100%, I promise that isn't because the diet isn't working - it's just how the body works, and those pounds will come off the next week or the week after.

The really big losses that some people get week after week usually happen to folks who weigh a lot more than you. Or men. :sigh: Most unfairly, men always lose faster than women!

Runs in, ready to run out....

Lilly, well done for getting back on, it must be so tough. Your posts are really interesting and it's nice to hear from a wise cd owl about the changes we face, disappointment in losses and how to deal with them. I wish you the best of luck with your restart and can dream of doing what you once did, 5 and a half stone is amazing.

Not to salt the wounds but can you sum up why you went back the other way? My biggest fear and by far the hardest challenge I think I will have to face is the maintenance bit.

Bayboy said:
Runs in, ready to run out....

Lilly, well done for getting back on, it must be so tough. Your posts are really interesting and it's nice to hear from a wise cd owl about the changes we face, disappointment in losses and how to deal with them. I wish you the best of luck with your restart and can dream of doing what you once did, 5 and a half stone is amazing.

Not to salt the wounds but can you sum up why you went back the other way? My biggest fear and by far the hardest challenge I think I will have to face is the maintenance bit.

Not that wise a CD owl - if I was, I'd be 10 and a half stones and I'd have stayed that weight for the last four years. :D

Hmm, reasons why I went back the other way...

Well, probably the biggest reason was that I came off the diet too soon. I got to 12st and that was the point at which I went on holiday. I looked so much better in our holiday photos than I had in years that I kidded myself I didn't need to carry on and that I'd be able to keep the weight off by being sensible. Within a couple of months, I was back up to 13st, but that still didn't seem too bad. And gradually, it crept up, and up. My stints at Cambridge over the last few years kept me between 14st and 15st but I've struggled with keeping going past the 4 week mark. In between, I've kidded myself that I could lose weight slowly and 'sensibly' doing WW, SW, low carb, etc etc. But i can't hack slow anymore. Cambridge ruins you for all other diets, LOL. So, having got up to 16st :( :( I'm back for another go. A proper go, drinking loads of water, having nothing but Cambridge packets and the odd SS+ meal.

It does worry me that I already know that keeping the weight off will be ten times harder than losing it in the first place. But I'll probably switch to alternate day fasting (JUDDD-ing) when I'm done.

You have done so well , and I'm sure having give through it all before this time you will know what to look out for! Well done for getting back on the wagon, I think that's fab!

Just weighed in but only lost 2 and 3/4 pounds :-(

On the bright side though, I'm down just over a done in 3 weeks!

tomnkatesmum said:
You have done so well , and I'm sure having give through it all before this time you will know what to look out for! Well done for getting back on the wagon, I think that's fab!

Only? Only?! :eek: There's nothing wrong with 2.75 lbs. That's a fabulous achievement. And yes, I know it feels like it should be soo much more when you're eating next to nothing, but consider this. Even if you ate nothing, you'd still only lose on average 4-4.5lbs a week (and not very healthily!). So watch those expectations, ok? All losses are good losses. There's no way you'd have lost over a stone in 3 weeks on any other diet.

Hang in there. In another month you'll be down another stone!

Last edited:
Dancing said:
I'm another who lost the weight and kept it off for three years, but when life threw a barrel of poo at me I completely lost it and turned to food and alcohol. I gained 6 stone in 5 months and then about another stone and a half in the next few months.

I didn't work my way through all the steps the first time but I actually think I would have regained even if I had worked through them -it just would not have been such an out of control massive gain.

So, here I am again, but I'm really psyched up for it this time and I am back in the zone and looking forward to losing as much as I can by Christmas. I can't remember how much I lost in the same timeframe first time around, but I have an idea of what size I will be at least. I'm looking forward to it :)

I'll have to put effort into working through all the steps too so that I don't end up in such a bad way again.

Boo to barrels of poo. We've got to find new coping strategies. There must be something I could learn to like more than eating. I doubt it, though. :D Maybe I should try hypnosis...

I agre with you about it being almost inevitable that the weight would slowly go back on. Sadly, I know very very few people who've lost the weight and kept it all off. Even my CWPC bounces up a stone or two from time to time (though a week or 3 of Cambridge generally keeps that in check). So I'm not going to kid myself this will be my last battle. It's going to be a life long battle.

Like you, I'm really psyched up at the moment. It's helping to guzzle water like a drought's coming too. I'm managing 3 litres plus lots of coffee and tea. I had a sneaky peek at the scales ahead of seeing my CWPC tonight and I've lost 7lbs since Friday - what's that, 5 days? :D Definitely can't complain about that. I'm thinking of asking her if I can weigh fortnightly so I don't get put off by the weeks where I 'only' lose a pound. :) (yes, katentomsmum, I can talk the talk but I can't always walk the walk, LOL). I always try to do something differently when I restart. I think that could be my something different. :D

hi, sorry to barge in! I just had my week 3 WI and i STS :'( But im thinking i have lost now an average of 5lbs per week and that seems a healthy amount to loose, so dont be disheartened! id love to wake up skinny but in reality may take a few more sleeps! :) xx

I was speaking to my CDC this week and I think I was quite surprised when she said that most people she sees will do SS/SS+ and at most Step 2 but do that until they lose the weight then revert to full 'normal' food. I did the same thing with Lipotrim a while ago - a month of shakes, lost 2 stone then had enough so went back to food. I found for the first couple of weeks my appetite was loads less than before but then eventually crept back up until it was all back on.

I've done a lot of 'therapy' this year and really got to grips with how and why I eat, the ways I use food etc. and hence now have decided to embark on the CD to try to lose the weight for good. I feel like mentally I'm in a better place to lose the weight AND maintain it this time though I am planning on doing the lower steps to lose the bulk weight and then work my way up them to almost use it as a re-education on portion size, what I SHOULD be eating - I reckon that way I definitely have more of a hope of maintaining than just plunging in and out on the SS steps...

But that's just my feeling about it

i completely agree frizzy! I go on hol in 7 weeks, so in 5 weeks im going to go to step 2 and then 6 weeks move to step 3, unless i get close to my goal before then, otherwise i will eat on holiday and make myself ill and put the weight on at an alarming rate.
My aim is to get back from hol and then do ss again to loose excess and then go up the steps until xmas.

i hoping my plan works and i can do it, i dont want to fail again :( xx

I'm another who lost the weight and kept it off for three years, but when life threw a barrel of poo at me I completely lost it and turned to food and alcohol. I gained 6 stone in 5 months and then about another stone and a half in the next few months.

I didn't work my way through all the steps the first time but I actually think I would have regained even if I had worked through them -it just would not have been such an out of control massive gain.

So, here I am again, but I'm really psyched up for it this time and I am back in the zone and looking forward to losing as much as I can by Christmas. I can't remember how much I lost in the same timeframe first time around, but I have an idea of what size I will be at least. I'm looking forward to it :)

I'll have to put effort into working through all the steps too so that I don't end up in such a bad way again.

Ahh, gaining it all again sucks! but then sadly thats what life so often seems to through at us... i to have no coping mechanisms... well until now i did, food... but suppose i need to find a new one once i have lost all of this weight!!! you sound so positive im sure you will go far... thats the main thing in this i think, our want to succeed....

Any ideas on what you think you could lose between now and christmas? or are you not thinking about the actualy numbers just waiting to see what happens???

hi, sorry to barge in! I just had my week 3 WI and i STS :'( But im thinking i have lost now an average of 5lbs per week and that seems a healthy amount to loose, so dont be disheartened! id love to wake up skinny but in reality may take a few more sleeps! :) xx

Hi Skinnybean, did you do anything different this week? or do you think the dramatic losses so far have just caught up with you? how's this current week going?

Well, I was very poorly last week so I wasn't drinking shakes, had few slices of dry toast to get rid of sickness, so I think my body just didn't feel like it. Also last week I weighed in my nightie as was at home and this week I am

In a dress and tight, which weigh more so I could have lost a lb maybe.
sorry writing this on my phone and press send!
i previously lost 3 stone on ww and put it all back on and more so its rubbish them saying you will put on after cd, you will put on again with every diet if you don't change your diet forever!
xxx

Back