How common is 'STS' - Stayed the Same?

Morrigan96

I'm sure this will sound like a daft question, but as I'm new to all this I hope you will forgive me.

Long story short I have been gaining weight steadily for the past five years or so (3 stone in fact) and have tried everything to shift it on my own, but to no avail.

Signed up to SW a fortnight ago and lost 2.5lbs the first week. Second week did everything the same apart from Saturday (watching rugby) when I ended up drinking several glasses of wine (we're Welsh and everyone was going nuts in our house - that's my feeble excuse) .... and in a mad moment I also ate a Cadbury's Creme Egg of my daughter's that I found in the fridge. :eek: I did go out for a very long walk that evening (about an hour) in a guilt ridden attempt to 'burn it off', and drank several glasses of water before going to bed, but I had a rotten night's sleep and next day I felt hungover, anxious and out of sorts all day, with an upset tummy as well - but I never over ate and stayed on plan.

Monday I was completely back on track also and today .. but at this evening's weigh in - I've lost nothing.

I know I slipped up at the weekend with the wine (which made me feel dreadful so I won't be doing that again in a hurry!) .. but as I was good all the other days prior to that and the three days since, I honestly thought I'd lose something - even just half a pound?

I have no intention of having any wine at all this week ... but I am still anxious that I'm doing something else wrong? Just don't understand how I can have lost nothing because of one day going a bit overboard?

How common is 'stayed the same' at SW ... and could there be any other reasons why I might not have lost anything? I'm worried now that I'm not doing it properly or something ... and yet I lost the first week?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

It's perfectly normal and natural in any weight loss programme. It's just one of those things that can happen even when you've been 100% on plan. So I would just put it behind you and move on. :)

Yes I would so its very common. Our bodys are very strange. Good for you and your prob not doing anything wrong. You could put your daily food diary on here and everyone can have look at what your doing. I am a very slow loser. Good luck

Hi I am in exactly the same position, first week I lost 4 lbs, this week did exactly the same except probably ate less to compensate for having a bad day sat. Nevertheless I turned up tonight for weigh in and have stayed the same. So frustrating as I tried so hard everyday except for the slip up on sat. Wasn't expecting a STS so soon!

A fairly common occurance for me, happens too often for my personal liking, but I have to accept that weight comes off me slower than most :) I wouldn't worry, keep your head down and keep on trucking and you'll get there x

Very common, stick with it. Last year when I did SW I had a sts at least once a month. Next week you should be rewarded with a nice loss .

Several glasses of wine and a cream egg is probably at least fifty syns though so you did well to sts. The good days around your 'blip' will have helped you not fain. Life happens, it's really all about the long term. You'll get there if you keep at it.

Thank you so much everyone for the replies. I really appreciate them.

I'm going to try and stay on the straight and narrow this week and if there's no loss when I weigh in next Tuesday, I will maybe start posting my food diaries on here.

I didn't mention that I'm a (lacto) vegetarian and don't eat any meat or fish or any description. I'm also not keen on eggs and normally wouldn't eat them but I have really tried on the SW plan, because they are such an excellent alternative source of protein, and of course Free. I will never 'like' them, but I am doing my best to eat them.

My main source of protein has always been dairy but of course, I'm very restricted on this as to the amount I can have - hence trying to bring eggs into my diet. I do eat Quorn but I'm not a huge fan. I'm one of those vegetarians who actually doesn't like the taste, texture, smell of meat (rather than doing it for moral reasons) so I'm not keen to eat things that simulates that taste and texture which of course a lot of the Quorn products do.

Anyway, thanks so much for the comments, and hopefully I can get back on track and start losing some weight.

Very common hun.
Everyone is different - some can eat a few naughty things and still get a loss, others like myself cant even look at anything naughty without a STS, hence my very slow weight losses and a STS nearly every other weigh in.
It can be a bit upsetting especially when you're not expecting it but its still a success - you havent put any weight ON.

Its very common. I can do exactly the same as I did on a week where a lost 2 or 3 pounds and stay the same. Its just the way it is, better than gaining though!

I had 2 glasses of wine Saturday night & a an ice cream snickers. Probably around 25/30 syns in total, I had only had about 2 syns the day before & cut back the next day. I was showing a 4lb gain on Monday. Alcohol & wine in particular seems to make me gain weight instantly but it does come off again quite quickly. I think it's dehydration or water retention.

Not counting your blip with the wine and cream egg, you might have stayed the same anyway. I've noticed it's very common for people to lose in their first week but then stay the same or even have a small gain in their second. It's just something that seems to happen as our bodies are adjusting to the new way of eating.

For protein, have you considered using more quinoa? It's very protein-rich and I think it's much tastier than cous cous and it's better for you. I use it exactly as others would use cous cous, or sometimes have it in place of pasta. It's a free food.

Also, what plan are you following? If you're doing extra easy, consider switching to green. You get 1 or 2 healthy A choices and 2 B choices and since you don't eat meat, green would be perfect for you. You'd be able to up your dairy considerably with all those healthy extras as you can have cheese as a B choice as well as an A choice on green.

Not counting your blip with the wine and cream egg, you might have stayed the same anyway. I've noticed it's very common for people to lose in their first week but then stay the same or even have a small gain in their second. It's just something that seems to happen as our bodies are adjusting to the new way of eating.

For protein, have you considered using more quinoa? It's very protein-rich and I think it's much tastier than cous cous and it's better for you. I use it exactly as others would use cous cous, or sometimes have it in place of pasta. It's a free food.

Also, what plan are you following? If you're doing extra easy, consider switching to green. You get 1 or 2 healthy A choices and 2 B choices and since you don't eat meat, green would be perfect for you. You'd be able to up your dairy considerably with all those healthy extras as you can have cheese as a B choice as well as an A choice on green.

Thanks so much for this and for the other replies. I really appreciate them and don't feel so alone now. To be honest .. I did drink a lot of wine - red and rose :eek: and as Mrs Thunderbolt said - it does play havoc with fluid levels etc.

I am doing the Green programme every day with the extra dairy choice - so I can have milk and cheese. I will try the Quinoa though - that's something I hadn't thought of.

I'm certainly not going hungry - on the contrary I'm probably eating better than I normally would, but I realise I can't shovel gallons of wine down my neck and eat chocolate and expect to lose weight. Because I exercise a lot I thought I might get away with it ... but I was obviously wrong. In many ways I'm glad this has happened early on, so I can be under no illusions as to what I can and can't indulge in. If I want it to work, I need to stick to it - I realise that.

Thanks again everyone for all the help and advice.

I was about to say the exact same thing! The second week is notorious for staying the same (sometimes even gaining) as we're putting our bodies through such a change and the body holds on to what it can in case it needs it! Please see it through this week and I promise that if you've stuck to it, you'll see a good loss :)

From week 3, your losses should be more regular and consistent (aside from star week) and you will be able to factor in your wine with your syns :)

I was about to say the exact same thing! The second week is notorious for staying the same (sometimes even gaining) as we're putting our bodies through such a change and the body holds on to what it can in case it needs it! Please see it through this week and I promise that if you've stuck to it, you'll see a good loss :)

From week 3, your losses should be more regular and consistent (aside from star week) and you will be able to factor in your wine with your syns :)

Once again, can't thank you enough for this. I'm hearing all the right things and I'm so glad I joined the forum last night. :)

The second week is notorious for staying the same (sometimes even gaining)

I did exactly that. Lost 4 in the first week then gained 1 in the second.

Stick with it. It seems it is fairly common but honestly you'll settle into it and get regular great losses from now on.

Back