How did you choose your target?

Trixicle

I'm wondering whether to revise mine. I picked 11 stone to begin with as I thought losing 3 stone sounded like a big enough challenge and I didn't want to over face myself. However it would leave me with a BMI of 25.something, so slightly over. I've now lost 2 of that 3 stone and the weight loss is still going well. Slimming World seems to definitely be sustainable as you don't feel like you are missing out on the foods you like!

I'm quite naturally muscular for a woman (under the fat lol) so a lower end BMI wouldn't suit me, but I do want to get into the healthy range.

How did you pick your target? And anyone a similar height to me, what did you choose? Thank you!

i think a target weight should be whatever equals a healthy BMI range xx

Last time round I chose the middle of the healthy range - loved being that weight but also was thrilled to be just above the target range so it didn't work psycologically.

This time my plan is to see where I naturally settle when I am sticking to plan as much as is usual! Or to see when I stop/start caring and go for about 3 lb under that weight. Eg maybe 10st as just out of range as I do want to be 9 st something..... Two very different theories there!

I also dont set targets I find im under to much pressure on my self and end up gaining or worse giving up x

I did set a target when I started but I didn't go down to it, I got to the weight I am now and into a size 12 and I was really happy with where I'm at so stuck. I think it's how you feel about it, and you feel looking the way you do. I've seen loads of people go lower than their original target and some stop before. I'm sure you'll know when you feel comfortable in the skin you're in, just make sure it's your target and not what someone else thinks you should be x

Sent from my D6503 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Hmm, I think it will work better for me if I do have a definite end point. I'm a control freak and like to plan ahead! I will keep to SW principles once I am at target in order to maintain - with a few adaptations.

I did set a target when I started but I didn't go down to it, I got to the weight I am now and into a size 12 and I was really happy with where I'm at so stuck. I think it's how you feel about it, and you feel looking the way you do. I've seen loads of people go lower than their original target and some stop before. I'm sure you'll know when you feel comfortable in the skin you're in, just make sure it's your target and not what someone else thinks you should be x

Totally agree with you - need to set a target for yourself, not for someone else.

I set an original target of 11st 5lb, which is 1lb below the upper end of my BMI wotsit. When I got there, I was thrilled. Over the last 18 months or so, my weight has reduced slowly and I now hover between 10st and 10st 2lb. I did readjust my target at group, down to 10st 7lb. When I get weighed every month, I have to wear my shoes and bag etc to make sure I am over 10st 4lb so I don't have to pay. This way, i know that should I find it hard to maintain this weight, I can go up to 10st 10lb and still be in target range.
I think it's better to set a higher target and wait and see how you feel when you get there!

I set an original target of 11st 5lb, which is 1lb below the upper end of my BMI wotsit. When I got there, I was thrilled. Over the last 18 months or so, my weight has reduced slowly and I now hover between 10st and 10st 2lb. I did readjust my target at group, down to 10st 7lb. When I get weighed every month, I have to wear my shoes and bag etc to make sure I am over 10st 4lb so I don't have to pay. This way, i know that should I find it hard to maintain this weight, I can go up to 10st 10lb and still be in target range.
I think it's better to set a higher target and wait and see how you feel when you get there!

Sounds like a sensible approach!

I don't have a target. When I am happy with the amount I have lost, I will say "that's it".

I'm feeling the same. I have set a target of 10st in my group, but the more I think about it, I think I will probably be happy at 11 or even 12. If I'm still curvy, minus the double chins, I'll be happy.

I've set a target of 13.3 at 5.6 height. I was around that weight for ages last year (losing from 19 stone)! it felt so, so good, but the bmi charts persuaded me to go lower. I got to 12.10 and bounced straight out and then lost it and put on 2 stone.

Part of the reason was that I'd become absolutely obsessed. I started to think 'why not 11 stone? Why not ten! Could I be nine?' and that sort of drove me mad. It triggered my binge eating.

I've rejoined at 15 stone and am aiming for that comfortable weight again. It allowed me to eat a lot and eat healthily, with the slips that are always going to be part of my life.

So I suppose I'm advocating paying attention to your body, how you feel, and how your personal relationship with food might influence your journey-- and good luck!! :)

I honestly had no idea what my target should be, as I've never been anywhere near the weight I want to be. I asked my consultant for advice and he asked what the lightest I've been in my adult life is, which was when I was on Rosemary Conley and got down to around 12 stone. So I set that as my target. I think when I get there though I'll still have more to lose, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

I should mention, I'm 5ft 5 which is why I still think 12 stone will feel like too much.

I did a BMI check and a healthy weight for a 4"11 gal was around 8 and a half stone so I picked that as that's my ideal size. :) would be pretty happy at 9 stone but 8.5 stone is my ultimate goal

i started at 14.4 i said id love to loose a stone got that then wanted to reach 14 got that then 12 n a half got dat then 12 got dat and now its 11stone by the summer n i will see how i feel and look when i reach that weight

Thank you for the replies! I have decided to just reduce my target down by 4lbs for now so my BMI is in the correct range. I will see how I feel when I get there and keep food optimising with a few extra HEXs and see what happens! If I drop a bit more then that would be ok within reason.

I picked what was the midway point in the healthy area for my height range, which was 10st. I got to 10.4 at one stage, and was pretty happy, but i bounced back up for various personal reasons and have started again.
My target is still set at 10st, but when I get near it again, providing I'm happy, I'll probably change it to around 10st 4, that way I can fluctuate between 10st 1 and 10st 7 without coming out of target :)

I wanted my bmi in the correct range, i also wanted to finish on an award (weird i know) so when i hit 8 stone lost i'll be at target too xx

Back