how do current TFR lipotrimmers plan to maintain?

mightymonocle

been thinking about this a lot lately, as If I do shift all the weight I want and reach my goal, I will be almost half the weight I was originally and I aint planning on putting it back on haha!!

I was hoping low carb, calorie counting and portion control, will help me keep in check.. I also plan on using my bike as my main mode of transport, swimming and hitting the gym 3-4 times a week!

This is wishful thinking, at the moment anyway (not even half way there yet), but I am honestly so excited for maintenance!!
I keep researching nutrition lately and writing down loads of great low carb recipes!

I can't wait to make these:

‪Atkins Diet Recipes: Low Carb Flax Bread (IF)‬‏ - YouTube

‪Atkins Diet Recipes: Low Carb Faux Fried "Rice" (IF)‬‏ - YouTube

Broccoli Beef Recipe | Simply Recipes

‪Atkins Diet Recipes: Low Carb Chocolate Mousse‬‏ - YouTube

mmmmmmmmm :drool: haha :D

Anyone else have any maintenance plans or tips?

Last edited:
I'm planning to maintain on The Harcombe Diet. To be honest, I'm so worried about regaining my weight, I've planned the first six weeks of menus! :p

It's great to think ahead. Losing the weight is only half the battle. Keeping it off is the tougher challenge. From my experience it's old habits that need to be avoided. We need to form new ones and change our relationship with food.
After TFR I switched to glycemic load principles. I read Patrick Holford and Nigel Denby among others. many if the current diets follow Gi/GL principles. I lost another 29 lbs on GL and have maintained my losses for a year now.
Good luck with your journey.

I think I am an unusual case... I do eat quite healthily, but put loads of weight on in my previous job as it was long and strange hours. THen at break there was nothing open other than chinese, chip shop or McDonalds. Or I would get home at 10.30pm and have my tea then! So 5 years of that paid its toll. I am however in a new job now where I work regular hours, so I was starting to eat healthier before i started TFR, but I will be going swimming and aquafit once i have finished (i now have more time to do these things too...)

All the GI/GL stuff is a bit confusing. Both are a way of maintaining the blood sugars at an even level throughout the day as it is dips in the levels that makes us feel starving. To keep blood sugar levels even we need to eat good carbs with protein.
Having a diet that includes carbs with a low GL means we can lose weight while enjoying our food.
I read Holford, Denby, Gallop and loads more. Some use traffic lights, some count GL points and it can be confusing.
I have not been obsessive about counting GLs and have adapted it to suit me.
I drastically cut back bread/potato/pasta/rice. These are all "white carbs" therefore pack a bigger sugar punch. I have mainly veg that grows above ground and almost cut out red meat.
Instead I have fish, chicken, beans, lentils, quinoa, rye crackers and oatcakes. In addition to having these low GL options I keep an eye to overall calorie intake, again not obsessively, but it helps keeps portion sizes in check.
I also think it is very easy to adapt to this following TFR as old habits and tastes have already been broken.
I am almost wheat free as well as it is high carb and makes me very sluggish.
It may not be a plan that suits everyone. Personally, I think it is fab as I never ever feel ravenous anymore. I enjoy what I eat, can have treats and a few drinks.
Adopt an 80/20 rule no matter what plan you follow. Be good for 80% of the time and allow yourself a little treat the other 20%.
Google "glycemic index or glycemic load" for more info. Also check out the GI section on this forum. Clicking on the link in my signature will take you there.

to be honest that does pretty much sound very similar to the diet I want to adopt as I come off liptorim, I want to cut back on carbs a lot and eliminate white carbs all together (for the most part). For the same reasons you've mentioned, help control appetite and hunger levels.

I'd rather not follow any plan rigidly but educate myself more and more on nutrition, so I can make an overall lifestyle change where making good food choices comes naturally, and weight maintenance occurs as a cause of that. (as appose to yo-yoing back n to my goal)

So thanks, I will read up more on gi/gl!

May I ask, why do you cut out red meat?

Yep, that's what I have done too. Read loads and adopted the principles. In this way, I feel it's just a lifestyle choice. No more yoyoing.
I always loved red meat. I now find it heavy in my system. Red meat takes 72 hours to get through your body per Alan Carr's Easy weigh to lose weight. Embracing Gl, I had an open mind to new foods. I tried all types of beans, lentils,quinoa etc. I find I love them all ! They are very filling and never leave me sluggish which red meat does. I will still have red meat now and again but I find I dont enjoy it nearly as much. In a restaurant I much prefer to order fish or chicken.
I say open your mind to new and different foods rather than reverting to smaller portions or low fat versions of old stodgy favourites.

When I did it last year there were many tfr Lipotrimians who had got to their goal and done the refeed. When they had piled a touch of weight back on they just went back onto tfr for a week or two till they got back to taget.

Everyone is different so you've just got find something that works well for you.

Oh and there are appetite suppressant herbal teas that you can pick up from sainsburys which are extremely good
"Dr Stuart's Slim Plus" which is only around £1.28p for a box. There are also other safe herbal teas available there.

Good Luck

Back