How Do I Find My Willpower? Desperate to Lose nearly 7 stone

dawnwool

Ive spent what feels like my whole life dieting! I feel so miserable at this weight, im wearing clothes i hate, cant bear how i look in jeans or trousers and have lost/gained so many times ive lost my mojo :( I've got a reunion in a few weeks time and am going to give it a miss as i look and feel awful - which has made me realise im not living any kind of life at the moment. Im in my early 40s, now that my children are in their late teens i should be out and about having fun instead of feeling sorry for myself. I start with all the right intentions pretty much on a daily basis, but sabotage my efforts within a day or two and end up getting annoyed with myself which results in an eat everything in sight mentality. I lost 4 stone 3 years ago with weight watchers but have now put that back on, recently tried slimming world but didnt lose anything, consultant said probably down to pcos ive been diagnosed with. How do i give myself a kick up the backside, get back on track and stick to it ??

Well, the first thing to do is probably to work on getting that mental 'click' - try making a list of the reasons why you need to lose this weight and a list of all the positive things that will happen once you have lost it.

Secondly , work out a plan that's going to work for you. SW wouldn't work for me- I hear ' free food' and I want to eat it all. My advice is a moderate carb diet with an eye on calories.

I was 15 st 3lbs in may 2011 and a tight size 18. I'm now 9 stone 11 and a size 8-10. I used a combination of methods to get here - happy to share if you're interested : )

Don't think about exercising yet - that comes further down the line. Work out how you'll do it and then just ... Do it! No more excuses.

Lots of luck

You gotta want it. More than you want bad food or not being active. You really have to embrace the lifestyle change and understand that only YOU are in control of you. Your life is in your own hands, just gotta commit to making the right choice.

Thanks guys yes i've got to commit and get on with it, have managed a day of healthy eating today so a good start at least! Yes please to tips on how you've got the weight off, any help much appreciated. I think its my constant battle of going up/down/back up again that just got the better of me. Along with having tried the Paul McKenna method where you eat what you want etc, once you've tried that you keep telling yourself if you eat what you want you'll stop dieting forever and the weight will fall off, yeah right! Yes i ate a lot less but the weight never shifted either, in fact its gone up half a stone recently as a result of this trying to stop dieting.

Fantastic weight loss for both of you, im hoping to join you in being able to have a big loss :)

Hey Dawn...I have been where you are and it's not nice and so I really do feel for you. But hey you know you can do it as you lost 4 stone before and can do it again. Try to think how good you felt when you achieved that weight loss. Take each day at a time and think about the lbs and not the stones you want to lose. Tons of good luck and here's hoping that good talk to yourself works this time. Hugs, Saska x

Here are my top tips...

Only eat three times a day. No snacks unless desperate. This stops constant grazing which is just not necessary and it gives your body a chance to properly digest food.

Calorie count. All roads lead to calories in my opinion! Whether you are counting points or restricting syns... you are calorie counting by any other name. It works, it curtails portions and it makes you accountable.

Lower your carbs. On SW for example, they tell you that pasta is a free food and you can eat as much as you like. This is fine for those of us who can stop when they feel full, but pretty useless for those of us who can't! There is no such thing as a free food! I would cut out white carbs altogether and only eat 'good' carbs at one meal. It is really easy to have toast for breakfast, pasta for lunch and a jacket potato for dinner. Before you know it, you've carbed all day!

I would never have believed the 'low carb' thing worked until I did it myself. Anywa, I prefer a 'moderate' carb approach, although kep your fruit intake to a piece or two a day.

But really, you need to get a week under your belt and see a good loss. You're in control here and you CAN do it. I lose over 2.5 stone recently on the cambridge diet. Could you consider this? Fast, motivating loss but not for everyone! Have a look at my diary if it is something you are interested in.

I am a compulsive eater < as opposed to an emotional one > and if I can get a handle on this, so can you. Sometimes you really do have to feel a bit peckish and not eat. It is hard, it gets easier. And logging on here and reading other's stories is great too

Keep posting

Back