How do you cheer yourself up without junk food?

Angelkitty

I was just wondering what everyone does to perk themselves up when they are feeling low?

I used to eat junk/comfort food, hence me once tipping the scales at almost 20 stone.

Since losing my job I have quite a few "low" days and I'm worried about gaining any weight after my hard work.

Thanks x :)

Exercise - it releases all sorts of feel happy endorphines
Or something that you really enjoy doing and get pleasure from - be quiet time reading a book, gardening, cooking, knitting or whatever

Having a cup of tea - a cup of tea solves everything ;)
Having a bubble bath
Working on the allotment
Crocheting
Playing with my kids

Sometimes I paint my nails. It distracts you from eating for a while, and after doing it you can't touch anything for a little while, so you have to stay out of the fridge! Hopefully by then the desire to eat naughty stuff will have passed.

Hey Angelkitty,
I find myself having a few bad days - nothing sw or diet related! Mainly work and the stress of my boyfriend being on a temp to perm contract and to top it off my brother has had an illness the last couple of years that has had more ups and downs than I dont know what!
So anywho, to try and pick myself up and stop the "bad binge" I actually turn to food! Well, cooking to be precise. I look at other people's food diaries and recipes and then raid the fridge and cupboards and see what I can come up with. It de stresses me and means I have some lovely dishes prepared for whenever I need them! My freezer is chocker at the moment and just getting through the last of a spiced carrot and potato soup which is lush!
Everyone is different but as the other Girlies have suggested exercise, going for a walk, read, have a bubble bath or a pamper session (mine tend to be the usual brow tidy up, manicure and pedicure :) )
Hope we have all helped and if in doubt, find the middle of a field and just scream the whole lot out!
Minky xx

During the day I'm fine - no cravings for junk, or at least, not many.
It's a different story at night when the kids are asleep and I can finally relax.
This is how I intend to entertain myself to the point of forgetfulness lol

Bubble Shooter.

It's a game... it's very addictive. Google it!

Agree with the nails idea- I always get mine done when I'm down and it cheers me up no end- weird how pretty nails can do this- but I also like the bath idea...... Cheaper than getting nails done ;)

Having a cup of tea - a cup of tea solves everything ;)
Having a bubble bath
Working on the allotment
Crocheting
Playing with my kids

mine are exactly the same.... :)

Making cards, painting my nails, a facial.
going to the gym, afterwards I feel so good about myself!
Positive visualisation, imagining myself at target, and the nice feeling of going to bed knowing I had a good day.
Also having little things to look forward to, mine is having a fish pedicure with a mate every six weeks, and having my next day with her in my diary do I see her at least once a month.

i love painting my nails aswell. my fave at the mo is to paint them a pretty colour and then put black crackle nail varnish on top. looks amazing, and i always get of compliments!

i used to bite my nails right down, but now they are gorgeous, even if i do say so myself!

spikeygoodness said:
Sometimes I paint my nails. It distracts you from eating for a while, and after doing it you can't touch anything for a little while, so you have to stay out of the fridge! Hopefully by then the desire to eat naughty stuff will have passed.

Brilliant idea. I'm always painting my nails but hadn't made that connection!

Sent from my Desire HD using MiniMins

Hi all. Thank you very much for the suggestions. So far I have:

*played Bubble Shooter - Mandy D
*started knitting a scarff for my friend's Nan - PatchworkPuss
*made a batch of Baked Bean Lasagne and a Casserole - Minky Dinky
*had several cups of tea - heffer

I also plan to:

*have a long bath - heffer
*grow my nails so that I can paint them - SpikeyGoodness, Geemav & Noddynoobs
*have a nosey on youtube - Mr White
*go for a walk as it is sunny out - vixp

Thanks again everyone for your help!! x

I eat food... Not junk food but I fill up on free food and as long as its not on weigh in day I will eat as much free stuff as I want so then I know I'm still satisfying my hunger and my mouth :D xxx

I eat the sw version of junk food. There is a brill recipe for fish and chips on the sw website and that always fills a hole for me also 100g of low fat oven chips is (off the top of my head) 2.5 syns so that's always a good one.

I love this thread - i dont really have any suggestions!

I think i might start doing 30 mins of housework when i get hungry and hopefully get the chores done that never get done instead of eating a mars bar!!! :D

x

**CHEESY POST ALERT**

I come here when I'm feeling a bit like that.
I catch up on my subscribed posts, maybe post a little more, check out the inspirational photo's (some of them make me cry!), read some food diaries, make a shopping list of bits I'd like to try, check out new syn values.

I honestly think this site is better than group! :) So glad I found it!!

Back