How do you get used to being "normal"?

noodles1609

Having a very lovely life
I'm really struggling with this one, totally in my head I know, but I figured gathering the thoughts of all you lovely people might be the right thing to do. I'm nearly ready to stop S&S as I'm just about at the targets I've set - that in itself is a big novelty cause I've never once seen a diet plan through to actually coming off it, usually it just fizzles out way before it should!

Anyhow, the clothes that fit me are telling me I'm just about in a 12, which my head says is utterly riddiculous. My head doesn't feel that it's nearly a 12. My head feels like I'm as big as I always was, if not bigger. On one level I know that's plain daft, cause I have the evidence right there in front of me, but I just can't get my silly head around it! Can anyone help?

I think it's the right time to come off plan and consolidate now, perhaps this will give my head time to catch up? My ultimate target might be to get to a bmi of 25 but at the moment I think that is too skinny for me, but then again I never dreamt 6 months ago that I'd be anything less than a size 18! So, after summer, I might continue and set that new goal, I've got a few months to think about that :)

I dont know :-( 2years ago I dropped from a size 26 and unable to get a boyfriend to a size 16 and having lots of interest well I have a lovely fiance now but my weight has crept up 2 stone and a size 18 :-D I felt very uncomfortable with the attention and miss being invisable that being that fat gave me. I feel ready to lose the rest of my weiiht now to get down toa size 10 with the support of my other half. I do dread the attention I wil get when I get there bt I dwant to ffeel that slim again for me :-D

I think it's going to be hard and long, especially as its all come off pretty quickly. I think there's a maintainers section (or section) on here so maybe have a look on some if them as I'm sure there's many who have felt the same.

I read somewhere it takes about 10 months for our brains to register and get used to the new body.
When I lost 5 stone and went from size 20 to 12 I could not comprehend it. I still saw myself as the big girl. My confidence was at its lowest. I didn't give it long enough to get used it and started to pile the weight back on.
I think it's natural that such massive changes especially when they happen is a short space of time are difficult to get used to.

i have wondered repeatedly if that i why i have repeatedly regained weight after big losses. its almost as if it is a sub conscious self protection mechanism against the world. If you are big then people dont notice you, or if they do it tends to be in a negative way that perhaps validates our poor perception of ourselves..if they dont notice you then they cant hurt you...

so i would also be interested in how you make this change in your head to worthy, confident and "normal"...

But Noodles, congratulations on almost being to your goal, even if it is your first goal... you have a beautiful soul and deserve much happiness :)

I found that going into clothes shops a lot and trying on clothes was really helpful to me. I used to be shocked every time I saw myself in the mirror - even though I knew I'd be shocked! I just kept doing it until it was no longer a shock (a few months...). I also started exercising hard when I was at goal. Much to my surprise I enjoyed it and it has become part of who I am. I now think of myself as a slim person and it seems strange that I was larger in the past - which is odd as I was obese for my whole adult life (often morbidly obese) before now. I thi the thing to do is to keep working on it. Look at yourself often and make an assessment as you would for other people. You can do this - in the same way as you've used the Beck book to address your thinking you can use your tools now to address your self image. Good luck!

good thread - great food for thought. I agree with all that has been said, giving it time until you recognise you. I know I hadn't when I hit goal, it was still a shock to see my reflection, I still now associate myself with being almost 17 stone, even though I am in the 13's. I think it's a matter of time, this diet is so fast we don't always have time to catch up mentally. We need to keep reflecting on our achivements and make new ones to help maintain and acknoweldge how far we have come. Thanks for this thread.. got me thinknig x

Back