How do you make up your ready meal packs?

scotminx

Gold Member
Hello!

I've just had my first carbonara experience. One pack ended up wasted as it exploded all over the microwave despite having covered the dish :confused: I made up a second pack with 200mls of boiling water on the hob at a low-med heat and kept on stirring. Took about 15 mins I think to get it to a thick-ish consistency, but was still quite saucy. Added loads of black pepper and it was ok (only day 1 though, so might taste better when I'm in ketosis). I was pleasantly surprised it didn't make me want to gag as I cannot stand any of the soups.

I have tried the chilli before made up as directed in the microwave and thought that was actually quite nice.

Does anyone have any tips for making up the ready meal packs? If I'm taking carbonara into work I'll have to figure out how to make it in the microwave without leaving a trail of destruction!

I have 1 spag bol and 1 shepherd's pie to try as well, so any tips on these would be appreciated.

I'm trying to figure out what I like from the ready meals before buying a "pick your own" bumper pack.

Thanks in advance! :)

Oh dear lol sounds like a bit of a trial! I do my packs as directed with hot water them nuke. I don't cover them whilst in the microwave and I've never had them splatter. I always add black pepper to the Shepards pie but the rest I enjoy as they are :)

Maybe I had too much water in the first batch of carbonara then. Put a bit more in after reading that others have tended to do this.

I just had the shepherd's pie and I remain unsure about whether I like it or not. Added some black pepper too it, but I like pepper in most savoury dishes. Made that up exactly as directed in the microwave and it turned out fine.

Last one to try is the spag bol...

I like spag bol, just about to make it for dinner tonight! Enjoy :)

Hi! I haven't tried most of the ready meals but I did experiment on the pasta carbonara. I followed the instructions exante has given but I didn't like the end result that much so I've made little adjustments here and there. I always make my carbonara in a plastic microwaveable jug - pour in 150mls of freshly-boiled water, add the contents of the pack, stir, then cover with something (I use our chopping board. lol). Let it stand for at least 5mins (though I tend to have better pasta when I leave it for longer). I microwave it (uncovered) for 3 minutes but I do it in 'stages' - 1min 30sec; stir, 1min; stir; 30sec; stir. Then let it stand for at least a minute (or for a bit longer) before consuming. This works for me and gives me lovely pasta carbonara every time :)

You will do this Scotminx! If you need any help or encouragement please call on me. I have just completed day one, and feel really focused. We have about the same amount of weight to lose. I have made a mini goal of 11 stone by early Dec, but wish to get to about 9 and a half eventually. Mind you haven't been in the 9's since I had my son 22 years ago. I have always happily maintained between 10 and a half to 11 and a half stone which I found to be an ideal weight for me.
I haven't had any trouble making up the food packs. I have just followed the directions on the front of the packs. Shepherds pie and spag Bol are quite nice.
just think - if we can lose half a pound a day, once in ketosis, it shouldn't take us too long to look and feel fantastic.
good luck on your journey
sam xx

Thanks so much for the replies, and any support I can get would be much appreciated! I've started a diary in the brides to be diary sub-forum but its kinda quiet over there so I may need to ask a mod to move it to the exante section. Please pop in and say hello!

I had the apple and cinnamon porridge for lunch today, made up exactly as directed and it was lush! I do love cinnamon though. Think I'll be adding those to my pick your own packs box!

:)

I wanted to do the "pick your own" but then I had this promo code that was meant to be used for the other 4-week bumpers so I made use of that first because it came out cheaper. When are you thinking of placing your order for that bumper? I think they're still offering 50% discount for that. On regular days you'll get just 35% off the original price.

I need to place the order for the pick your own soon, as the email with the 50% code I got expires on the 25th. Wouldn't buy it with just 35% off I don't think - a bit too pricey!

Yeah, I agree. Better get it while you
can still enjoy the 50% discount. :)

I know they have various discount promos on the Exante website up until the end of the month. Various promo codes too depending on what offer you take up. I think I quoted SEPTEMBER at checkout and received 50% off my order.
sam

Yeah, there's a lot of promo stuff to choose from. Which one did you get, Sam?

Well pick your own pack has been ordered - can't wait to try the choc mint and toffee shakes! :D

Hi ZM
I chose a pick your own bumper pack and received 35% discount if you order a months supply. I then got to checkout and they had a further offer on for the day which entitled you to receive a further 15% off all orders if you quoted SEPTEMBER at the checkout. My total saving was half price for the month.

new packs to definitely try are:

Mint chocolate shake
caramel and toffee shake
all the new coffee jars, my favorite is the Irish coffee. You can also use these as flavourings in your vanilla and chocolate shakes.
apple and cinnamon porridge
shepherds pie
spaghetti bolognese
red bean chilli
Curry
I have bought the mushroom risotto , but not tried it yet. I will keep you posted on this.............

sam x

They are delicious Scotminx!
I tend to mix all my shakes with a little crushed ice.
the plain chocolate and vanilla are great with the Irish or hazelnut coffee's added to them. Tastes like a proper frappicino
xxx

Oh I didn't notice the coffee! Does the Irish one taste like Whiskey or Bailey's or something?

Oh my. That sounds delicious!!!

Don't like the banana shake so I made it in a Tupperware pot with water till it was a thick but not too watery consistency and froze it. Ice cream! Yummy too xx

Back